Scottish player transfers - Page 141 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

17 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Johnny Russell has been in a few squads when playing in that league so I’m not sure where you’re getting “no chance” from.

If he goes over there and plays well he’ll still have a chance of getting picked. 

I mean, he has an outside chance of being picked for a squad if we have an injury crisis. But he was one of the best players in Portugal and couldn't get picked. He'll be even less visible in Canada. 

Russell was chosen once or twice at the beginning of Clarke's reign. He hasn't been since. That is partly Covid related, of course, but we also had less depth back then. Morgan won MVP last season and was barely mentioned as a possible call up. Again, possibly due to Covid, but this pandemic is far from over, so going to North America will definitely damage your chances of getting a callup, never mind forcing yourself up the pecking order. As I said in a previous post, he has 6 attacking midfielders ahead of him that are all vying for (lately) 1 spot. So I can kind of see why he might feel like he is fighting a losing battle.

6 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Sad fact is some players don’t really care about international football. Lots of players don’t consider their international prospects when choosing which club to play for.

That's possibly true, but younger players tend to want to put themselves in contention to win things and to test themselves against the best.

Moving to the MLS would certainly enhance his bank balance but I can't see it doing the same for his career.  Having tonnes of money and a beautiful home and loads of nice things must be great (I can only dream!) but how does it compare to actually winning things?   

8 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Especially during times of Covid. 

I wonder if he looked at the fact that Clarke took 6 attacking midfielders to the Euros and really only used McGinn and Armstrong. So, not only would Gauld need to break into the squad, he would then need to get ahead of Forrest, Fraser, Christie and Turnbull and he still might not play. I don't agree with this defeatist attitude, but I could at least understand it. We shamefully under-utilised our attacking midfielders at the Euros.

The way I'd look at it if I was him is that Fraser is injury-prone, Forrest has probably peaked as a player - and he's injury-prone, and managers don't stay for ever. Clarke might not even be in post in twelve months time; someone who sets his team up differently might be in charge.

On 7/17/2021 at 12:36 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Huge step backwards for Gauld. Living here, the quality of football is shite, cant understand this move for the life of me...

I'll give you 2m a year reasons.

Not sure I'd be knocking back 2m a year in the off chance I might one day get picked for Scotland. 

Also not sure hes as good as some think. There a reason his best offer is in Canada and no EPL sides are taking a punt.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'll give you 2m a year reasons.

Not sure I'd be knocking back 2m a year in the off chance I might one day get picked for Scotland. 

Also not sure hes as good as some think. There a reason his best offer is in Canada and no EPL sides are taking a punt.

Exactly. Also consider he is still only mid 20s so a couple of seasons over there earning 2 million a season will set him up very nicely, and he'll still have time to further his career if he is that good. 

On 7/17/2021 at 3:04 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Anyone know the status of Lewis Morgan? He went there from Celtic and done well I heard. He was a promising player aswell...

I remember him being two-footed, very much the modern winger. He was voted most valuable player in the MLS last year.

On 7/17/2021 at 9:09 PM, scotlad said:

That's possibly true, but younger players tend to want to put themselves in contention to win things and to test themselves against the best.

Moving to the MLS would certainly enhance his bank balance but I can't see it doing the same for his career.  Having tonnes of money and a beautiful home and loads of nice things must be great (I can only dream!) but how does it compare to actually winning things?   

The way I'd look at it if I was him is that Fraser is injury-prone, Forrest has probably peaked as a player - and he's injury-prone, and managers don't stay for ever. Clarke might not even be in post in twelve months time; someone who sets his team up differently might be in charge.

In hindsight, looking back when he is in his 40s, if no caps materialised, and he bounced from team to team of the calibre of Farense, making relatively low amounts, he'd probably regret not going to the MLS for at least 1 season. Maybe that's his plan. Circa £1m (after taxes) in the bank, then go back to Europe. I couldn't fault him for that.

As you say, Clarke might not be in charge in 12 months. It could end up being a manager that has a soft spot for Gauld. In that case, it won't matter that he is in the MLS. But if it's still Clarke, there is a chance he'll have learned from his mistakes and utilise more attacking midfielders. 

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

In hindsight, looking back when he is in his 40s, if no caps materialised, and he bounced from team to team of the calibre of Farense, making relatively low amounts, he'd probably regret not going to the MLS for at least 1 season. Maybe that's his plan. Circa £1m (after taxes) in the bank, then go back to Europe. I couldn't fault him for that.

As you say, Clarke might not be in charge in 12 months. It could end up being a manager that has a soft spot for Gauld. In that case, it won't matter that he is in the MLS. But if it's still Clarke, there is a chance he'll have learned from his mistakes and utilise more attacking midfielders. 

Some good points there.  I guess a lot of it too comes down to feeling wanted.  If Vancouver Whitecaps are prepared to pay him megabucks and generally make him feel loved he'd be daft to spurn that in favour of less money at a European team who might only use him as a squad player.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I remember him being two-footed, very much the modern winger. He was voted most valuable player in the MLS last year.

Celtic fans never really took to him, most probably because he is Scottish and was signed from a diddy team (if he'd been foreign and signed from an English or French academy team it would have been a different story, of course).

6 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Celtic fans never really took to him, most probably because he is Scottish and was signed from a diddy team (if he'd been foreign and signed from an English or French academy team it would have been a different story, of course).

Funny cos they would be absolutely desperate for him now if they still had him. 

47 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Some good points there.  I guess a lot of it too comes down to feeling wanted.  If Vancouver Whitecaps are prepared to pay him megabucks and generally make him feel loved he'd be daft to spurn that in favour of less money at a European team who might only use him as a squad player.

Although he has been linked with dozens of clubs, has he actually had offers from big teams to turn down? It might not be as simple as we think. As great a season as he had, we are all assuming giants of the game are lining up for him. If his options are to drop down a division in Portugal with Farense, or go to the MLS, then it's obvious what he should do.

41 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I would actually say it was Lennon that had that opinion, rather than the Celtic fans. Lennon was very quick to give 19 year old foreign players game time, but very rarely played non-established Scots. Turnbull and Welsh were forced upon him last year. Other than Forrest, his track record is shocking.

18 minutes ago, csinclair said:

I think Jack Hendry falls into the same category

He does! 

It says a lot for what’s happened to Celtic that a player can go from being not good enough for them to far too good for them in less than a 12 month period. 

6 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Although he has been linked with dozens of clubs, has he actually had offers from big teams to turn down? It might not be as simple as we think. As great a season as he had, we are all assuming giants of the game are lining up for him. If his options are to drop down a division in Portugal with Farense, or go to the MLS, then it's obvious what he should do.

I would actually say it was Lennon that had that opinion, rather than the Celtic fans. Lennon was very quick to give 19 year old foreign players game time, but very rarely played non-established Scots. Turnbull and Welsh were forced upon him last year. Other than Forrest, his track record is shocking.

It was a bit of both, I'd say.  "SPL trash" was a phrase I saw used a few times IRO Morgan and other signings from Scottish diddy teams.

6 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He does! 

It says a lot for what’s happened to Celtic that a player can go from being not good enough for them to far too good for them in less than a 12 month period. 

When John McGinn was still at Hibs and linked with a move to Celtic, a Celtic fan I knew argued until he was green and grey in the face that McGinn was no better than Liam Henderson, who they'd just let go. 

Three years later and John McGinn has won Scottish player of the year, dozens of caps for his country, captained his country, played in a major tournament finals for his country, become an EPL regular and one of the most respected midfielders in that division, while Henderson is scratching his arse in the Italian second division!

7 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He does! 

7 hours ago, csinclair said:

I think Jack Hendry falls into the same category

To be honest I don't think we will hear very much about him in the future, one good season in the middle of a back three for the Belgian equivalent of Livingston doesn't make you international class player overnight.

Was anybody honestly impressed with his Scotland performances?

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

It was a bit of both, I'd say.  "SPL trash" was a phrase I saw used a few times IRO Morgan and other signings from Scottish diddy teams.

You're right, there are plenty of Celtic fans that do that. And you always here "I wisnae in favour of signing xyz but he's proven me wrong". I don't know how many successful Scottish signings they need before they realise it's not a bad thing. E.g Hartley, Robson, Caldwell, Mulgrew, Armstrong, Christie, M.Wilson, Turnbull etc etc.

That is just off the top of my head, and there many more successes of non-Scots from SPFL teams that have "proven them wrong".

(This is not exclusive to Celtic fans. Plenty of examples of snobbery from other teams as well)

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

You're right, there are plenty of Celtic fans that do that. And you always here "I wisnae in favour of signing xyz but he's proven me wrong". I don't know how many successful Scottish signings they need before they realise it's not a bad thing. E.g Hartley, Robson, Caldwell, Mulgrew, Armstrong, Christie, M.Wilson, Turnbull etc etc.

That is just off the top of my head, and there many more successes of non-Scots from SPFL teams that have "proven them wrong".

(This is not exclusive to Celtic fans. Plenty of examples of snobbery from other teams as well)

I was reading an interview with Ange the other day where he was bemoaning not having new players in time for the CL qualifiers and saying any new signing would need to quarantine because they're coming from another country and it shows an immediate problem when they're instantly dismissing domestic signings. There are plenty of Scottish based players who would improve that Celtic side.