Scottish player transfers - Page 139 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

11 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Dickson was definitely released. He signed a new deal in January and got released 6 months later due to apparent attitude problems.

Dapo Mebude just hasn't developed and was allowed to run his contract down. It was fairly telling that he was never in European training squads when literally every other youth player of note was involved. I know Dire Mebude turned Rangers down last season and went to Man City. 

Hogarth seems a strange one. He seemed quite rated by both Rangers and Scotland. Perhaps he rejected a deal, I've not heard anything though.

It's probably quite disheartening seeing 36, 38 and 39 year olds being handed contracts. I don't blame any of their youths for thinking they will get more opportunities elsewhere.

7 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Absolutely. For a club the size of Rangers, and their resources, they should be producing far more internationals. Hopefully Patterson and Gilmour are a sign that that is changing, but who was the last Scottish International to come out of their academy? I honestly can't think of any lately. Is Fleck the only one? And he didn't exactly come out their academy fully prepared for senior football. It took him a long time to get up to speed.

Rangers really squandered a fantastic opportunity to focus on youth development when they were in the lower leagues. 

Except for Gilmour and Patterson, the last would be Greg Taylor 😂. Came through Rangers before being released at an early age and going to Killie. Before that it would be Kenny McLean, again released early doors.

If you are talking proper first team Rangers then it be Hutton.

In terms of youth development Rangers had a rotten system and was nowhere near good enough.

When Warburton, Allen and then Mulholland came in they completely revitalised and modernised it. Gone was the shite jobs for the boys routine. Stewart wouldn't play small players and would release or cut them. We moved to the opposite were it was all about technique rather than physical abilities. Gilmour, Kelly and Kennedy would never have made it past about 12 when he was still there.

Anyway we changed styles and coaching methods and every side plays the same passing and technical style from u20-u5. 

It is starting to take very positive effect. Gilmour and Patterson in the Scotland team at 19, won the u18 title 3 years running, always atleast 5/6 Rangers youths at most Scotland youth levels. There is quite a large crop of promising players aged 16-19 that could see multiple players make the first team. McPake, Kennedy, Williamson, Maxwell, Lowry, King, Graham and that isn't including Patterson and Gilmour who count as the same generation.

There is still a while to go but Rangers have massively turned their academy around these last 6/7 years. 

6 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Except for Gilmour and Patterson, the last would be Greg Taylor 😂. Came through Rangers before being released at an early age and going to Killie. Before that it would be Kenny McLean, again released early doors.

If you are talking proper first team Rangers then it be Hutton.

In terms of youth development Rangers had a rotten system and was nowhere near good enough.

When Warburton, Allen and then Mulholland came in they completely revitalised and modernised it. Gone was the shite jobs for the boys routine. Stewart wouldn't play small players and would release or cut them. We moved to the opposite were it was all about technique rather than physical abilities. Gilmour, Kelly and Kennedy would never have made it past about 12 when he was still there.

Anyway we changed styles and coaching methods and every side plays the same passing and technical style from u20-u5. 

It is starting to take very positive effect. Gilmour and Patterson in the Scotland team at 19, won the u18 title 3 years running, always atleast 5/6 Rangers youths at most Scotland youth levels. There is quite a large crop of promising players aged 16-19 that could see multiple players make the first team. McPake, Kennedy, Williamson, Maxwell, Lowry, King, Graham and that isn't including Patterson and Gilmour who count as the same generation.

There is still a while to go but Rangers have massively turned their academy around these last 6/7 years. 

I didn't know about McLean or Taylor. But if you are giving Rangers credit for them, you should give Celtic credit for Robertson and Hickey. Bit of a stretch.

I don't want to take anything away from Rangers, but Gilmour and Patterson are the first graduates of the performance schools. I'm sure Rangers helped in their development, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the first 2 Rangers youths to break into the Scotland team in years also went to those schools.

Anyway, that aside, I have heard a lot of buzz coming from Rangers, so I do believe that Rangers have (maybe) turned a corner. Now all they need is a manager willing to play them.

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Watford seem to be signing a few Scottish youths goalkeeper Angelini from Celtic, add the signing of Mebude and O Connor on trial, they also have the Sonny blu Everton in their ranks. 

Just hope a few of them can get decent loans rather than getting stuck just playing U23 football

On 7/11/2021 at 7:39 PM, ProudScot said:

Stoke, Watford & Sunderland all in for Harris O’Connor, centre back who was released by Rangers this summer. Under 19 international 

Surprised by this tbh. Outside of King and to a lesser extent Mayo there was a worry that no decent CBs were coming through at youth level at Rangers.

He's never really stood out at youth level and he is one I thought would end up in the Scottish lower leagues.

Hopefully this gives him a massive kickstart and he starts to develops and improve. We desperately need young CBs coming through.

7 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Celtic seem to be about to sign a raft of foreign players which all sound like varying degrees of disasters waiting to happen.

Probably not good news for the game time of the likes of Stephen Welsh & Greg Taylor. 

If Celtic's transfers over the last few years are anything to go by, then you are probably right. I have no idea if they are still using the same failed scouting system in recent times. If they are, it'll be more money flushed down the pan.

With the rebuild Celtic need, they should be signing some of Scotland's best affordable players. Marshall, O'Donnell, Gauld, Nisbet would all improve their team right now.

46 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

If Celtic's transfers over the last few years are anything to go by, then you are probably right. I have no idea if they are still using the same failed scouting system in recent times. If they are, it'll be more money flushed down the pan.

With the rebuild Celtic need, they should be signing some of Scotland's best affordable players. Marshall, O'Donnell, Gauld, Nisbet would all improve their team right now.

Well one is coming from Lawell's mate Duda Duhan, so I'd say they probably are using the same scouting system.

59 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Celtic seem to be about to sign a raft of foreign players which all sound like varying degrees of disasters waiting to happen.

Probably not good news for the game time of the likes of Stephen Welsh & Greg Taylor. 

None of Celtic's links are LBs so I'd suspect Taylor will be first choice unless Bolingoli is given a second chance.

With Welsh I don't think anyone ever really saw him as a main guy going forward. He seemed to play more due to how bad Duffy and Bitton were than how good he was. Bain was similar in goals, not good but not as bad as the other choices.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Thats a very good point. Celtic were always very good at this, whether it be very cheap players like Didier Agate or slightly more expensive like Brown.

Greg Taylor was brought in but imo as a backup. They could do better than ODonnell at RB but somebody like Rooney would certainly be an improvement on what they have currently.

Gauld would be a no brainer replacement for Christie and Nisbet for Griffiths.

59 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Griffiths cleared of any criminality regarding the 2 wee lassies online. Wonder if they'll take him back into the squad...

Well they gave him a contract extension and he's been cleared so I'd hope so.

1 minute ago, daviebee said:

Well they gave him a contract extension and he's been cleared so I'd hope so.

They might not think messaging a 15 year old is appropriate behaviour for a Celtic player even if he didn’t break the law? 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

They might not think messaging a 15 year old is appropriate behaviour for a Celtic player even if he didn’t break the law? 

Well none of us know what the messages said except those involved plus the police. Anything remotely creepy about them, or any attempt at grooming, and Plod would've been down on him like a ton of bricks.

1 minute ago, daviebee said:

Well none of us know what the messages said except those involved plus the police. Anything remotely creepy about them, or any attempt at grooming, and Plod would've been down on him like a ton of bricks.

We do know what they say (some of them at least) as they are kicking about online. Being a creepy bastard isn’t always illegal. 

32 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We do know what they say (some of them at least) as they are kicking about online. Being a creepy bastard isn’t always illegal. 

Is it a sackable offence though?  They kept this character on the books for over a year:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/11483892/armstrong-okoflex-girl-peng-celtic-instagram/