Scottish player transfers - Page 128 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

57 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Josh Doig linked with Arsenal as he won’t qualify as a non English player on their squad list due to his age... 

sounds interesting but not sure if he would get much gametime for arsenal and it would be rubbish for his career to play u23s imo. surely if arsenal are that desperate for a homegrown player then they could promote an english youth player.

10 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

sounds interesting but not sure if he would get much gametime for arsenal and it would be rubbish for his career to play u23s imo. surely if arsenal are that desperate for a homegrown player then they could promote an english youth player.

Maybe they don't think they have a youth player with Doig's potential.

Would be two or three years probably before he would get game time and then only if good enough.

Never really understood the reasoning behind moving to a big club being bad for your career, if you don't make it maybe it just means you were never going to have a great career. Billy Gilmour has played under 23's this season and I dare say a lot top players have followed that route.

Good luck to the lad.

Josh Doig linked to Arsenal, Leeds and Manchester City over the past few months.

John Collins said that Doig should go the Tierney route (I.e stay with Hibs for a few years) but I don't know.

The three clubs that has been linked to are massive, so he must have potential. 

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Maybe they don't think they have a youth player with Doig's potential.

Would be two or three years probably before he would get game time and then only if good enough.

Never really understood the reasoning behind moving to a big club being bad for your career, if you don't make it maybe it just means you were never going to have a great career. Billy Gilmour has played under 23's this season and I dare say a lot top players have followed that route.

Good luck to the lad.

its not bad to move to a big club but i think a guy in doigs position should think wisely before potentially heading to an epl club especially a big one like arsenal. hes playing every week and getting good experience playing first team football, going back to youth football is step backwards imo. The evidence has shown very few scots make it through epl youth set ups whereas most(nearly all) of our best players played a lower level of football at doigs age. I think another season at hibs would be best for his career in the long term.

Arsenal are very light at LB. Saka is poor defensively and has moved forward again, Tierney can be quite injury prone and Xhaka was being used as a LB for a while.

There is a good chance he'd be in and around the first team. Maybe not playing straight away but definitely involved in first team training most days.

Training daily under top coaches and against guys like Aubamayang and the like would give him some amazing experience. 

If Arsenal don't sign a new first team LB in the summer, then joining Arsenal could be a very good move. 

I'd say the Leeds link could be the best move for him. Doig seems the type of player Bielsa loves and depending on his preseason Doig could be pushing to start. Leeds only really have Aloski and Dallas who aren't natural LB's. So he could be right on the cusp and training under a manager known for taking players to the next level.

Man City, would be the absolute worst move out of all 3 for him to make. No chance of making the main team for years and ending up out on loan for years and years.

24 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Arsenal are very light at LB. Saka is poor defensively and has moved forward again, Tierney can be quite injury prone and Xhaka was being used as a LB for a while.

There is a good chance he'd be in and around the first team. Maybe not playing straight away but definitely involved in first team training most days.

Training daily under top coaches and against guys like Aubamayang and the like would give him some amazing experience. 

If Arsenal don't sign a new first team LB in the summer, then joining Arsenal could be a very good move. 

I'd say the Leeds link could be the best move for him. Doig seems the type of player Bielsa loves and depending on his preseason Doig could be pushing to start. Leeds only really have Aloski and Dallas who aren't natural LB's. So he could be right on the cusp and training under a manager known for taking players to the next level.

Man City, would be the absolute worst move out of all 3 for him to make. No chance of making the main team for years and ending up out on loan for years and years.

I think its unlikely doig goes to arsenal to play in the first team squad. How often does a non old firm club sell a player to a top club like arsenal with the intention of the player playing first team football. I cant think of any off the top of my head. Arsenal will probably buy an experienced lb as well as looking into doig, if theres any truth to the rumour at all.  Leeds might be a slightly better option but its still very unlikely he goes straight to the first team squad.

Its not very good that epl clubs can just hoover up talent these days with very little intention of actually playing them. 

52 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

According to the Sun ( on BBC gossip) Watford have bid 2 million for Lewis Ferguson.

It is the Sun but would be a decent transfer. Dons apparently turned it down.

He’s never worth more than that. Also if he’s worth £2M then what is someone like Ryan Gauld worth!? 

2 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

He’s never worth more than that. Also if he’s worth £2M then what is someone like Ryan Gauld worth!? 

He's worth it to an English club because they've just made the offer. £2m is peanuts to some clubs down south.

20 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

He's worth it to an English club because they've just made the offer. £2m is peanuts to some clubs down south.

Or will this be like McKenna where much more was knocked back to then sell for less at a later date? 

Ferguson is good, I just didn’t think he would command bids in that bracket. 

McCrorie's had a strange career, thus far.

Didn't do much on loan at Portsmouth. Shunted by Steven Gerrard at Rangers. Joined Aberdeen where no one talks about him being called up for Scotland. Now he's linked with Sunderland. 

Quite a nomadic career so far. Like a poundland Oliver McBurnie. 

As for Lewis Ferguson. From what I've seen of him, barring his overhead kick against Burnley, he's bang average.

Not old enough to remember his dad, (some say he was better than Barry) but I do remember his uncle. Oozed class. I remember after the first '99 playoff match against England, Ince came out and lavished praise on him. And quite rightly.

3 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

According to the Sun ( on BBC gossip) Watford have bid 2 million for Lewis Ferguson.

It is the Sun but would be a decent transfer. Dons apparently turned it down.

Tbh I'm not sure he is ready for the EPL. I think he needs a transitional move to the championship first. Just like John McGinn.

I think he has a lot of fantastic attributes and will go on and become a very good CM for Scotland. I just think sitting in a relegation fodders stand, may set back his career back a bit.

Besides I highly doubt Aberdeen would accept anything close to £2 million. Given Aberdeen's losses this season and rebuild I think between £3-4 million would see Ferguson off.

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He’s worth nothing at present because he’s out of contract so will go on a free 

Edited by GHfaeGTA

17 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Josh Doig linked to Arsenal, Leeds and Manchester City over the past few months.

John Collins said that Doig should go the Tierney route (I.e stay with Hibs for a few years) but I don't know.

The three clubs that has been linked to are massive, so he must have potential. 

John Collins is being a bit optimistic thinking Doig will get champions league experience at Hibs.

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

John Collins is being a bit optimistic thinking Doig will get champions league experience at Hibs.

lol

Well, once a Hibee always a Hibee. 😛

I was thinking the same thing. Including training facilities, etc, winning trophies (as easy as it is for the Old firm)

5 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Or will this be like McKenna where much more was knocked back to then sell for less at a later date? 

Ferguson is good, I just didn’t think he would command bids in that bracket. 

We underestimate our own players, £2m for a player with his potential is about right. Ferguson like a lot of aberdeen players have been going through the motions till the season ends. Mcinnes had already jacked it as he says he was leaving at the end of the season anyway. Aberdeen played like a side who's manager was leaving and in the huff.

Ferguson will get back on track, as Will mcrorie. They in my opinion are the dons best assets. The team should be built around them, I believe they will have futures down south.

23 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

We underestimate our own players, £2m for a player with his potential is about right. Ferguson like a lot of aberdeen players have been going through the motions till the season ends. Mcinnes had already jacked it as he says he was leaving at the end of the season anyway. Aberdeen played like a side who's manager was leaving and in the huff.

Ferguson will get back on track, as Will mcrorie. They in my opinion are the dons best assets. The team should be built around them, I believe they will have futures down south.

Agree on this. Aberdeen got McCrorie for a snip but then likewise so did Rangers with Scott Wright in return I guess. 

It’ll be an interesting summer of transfers definitely and a few Scottish clubs may need to sell on assets also which is a factor, including the champions despite being a million miles away from the rest. 

11 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Tbh I'm not sure he is ready for the EPL. I think he needs a transitional move to the championship first. Just like John McGinn.

I think he has a lot of fantastic attributes and will go on and become a very good CM for Scotland. I just think sitting in a relegation fodders stand, may set back his career back a bit.

Besides I highly doubt Aberdeen would accept anything close to £2 million. Given Aberdeen's losses this season and rebuild I think between £3-4 million would see Ferguson off.

i cant see ferguson becoming a first team regular for scotland. we have far to many guys ahead of him unless he goes south and does as well as john mcginn.

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

i cant see ferguson becoming a first team regular for scotland. we have far to many guys ahead of him unless he goes south and does as well as john mcginn.

Ferguson is way behind the current midfield but he has the potential move up a level and reach the same heights as mcginn. He's obviously not there yet but he's 5 years younger than John mcginn. 

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Lewis ferguson has handed in a transfer request.

In a way good that he is that single minded to seek to improve himself.

I really think there is an outstanding player there and like most Aberdeen players this season their development has stood still. His decision is  a) to buy into the Glass revolution at Pittodrie or b) to transfer his skills to a bigger arena. Watford will be a premier league team again but I gave up many moons ago on what their manager's qualities and longevity really will be ( they change so much ) Who knows where that will end up.

Is there another team with the same turnover of managers as Watford?

7 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

In a way good that he is that single minded to seek to improve himself.

I really think there is an outstanding player there and like most Aberdeen players this season their development has stood still. His decision is  a) to buy into the Glass revolution at Pittodrie or b) to transfer his skills to a bigger arena. Watford will be a premier league team again but I gave up many moons ago on what their manager's qualities and longevity really will be ( they change so much ) Who knows where that will end up.

Is there another team with the same turnover of managers as Watford?

I've heard Norwich have serious interest, which could be a good move. Falke is a manger known for playing good football and improving his players.

Is he ready for the EPL though? I'm not really sure tbh. I think like McGinn he might need a transitional season in the championship with a team like Brentford.

Watford have had "Hearts under Romanov" levels of turmoil and managerial turnover for years.