Scottish player transfers - Page 125 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

1 hour ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Genuine question. IF he is that good and IF he goes on to reinforce that at one of the bigger Portuguese teams, is he eligible to play for Portugal? He's been there 6/7 years now so is presumably eligible for citizenship - would that make him football eligible? He hasn't suggested he'd be interested as far as I know, just wondering. 

EDIT: that was supposed to quote the above post by ceudmilefailte about Gauld being one of the best players in Portugal.

There’s quotes from 3 years ago saying he’d like Portuguese citizenship so assume he has it now.

Don’t see any reason why he wouldn’t be eligible for them if he is a citizen. 

Obviously he’ll want to play for Scotland though. 

2 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Genuine question. IF he is that good and IF he goes on to reinforce that at one of the bigger Portuguese teams, is he eligible to play for Portugal? He's been there 6/7 years now so is presumably eligible for citizenship - would that make him football eligible? He hasn't suggested he'd be interested as far as I know, just wondering. 

EDIT: that was supposed to quote the above post by ceudmilefailte about Gauld being one of the best players in Portugal.

If he's eligible for Portuguese citizenship, applies for it and it's approved, then aye, I'm pretty sure he would be eligible to play for them - that's how you occasionally see Brazilians playing for Eastern European countries.

But surely, surely, if he ever reaches the stage where he's good enough to make the Portugal squad he'll have already been capped by us.  I mean, have you seen their squad?!  :lol:

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

If he's eligible for Portuguese citizenship, applies for it and it's approved, then aye, I'm pretty sure he would be eligible to play for them - that's how you occasionally see Brazilians playing for Eastern European countries.

But surely, surely, if he ever reaches the stage where he's good enough to make the Portugal squad he'll have already been capped by us.  I mean, have you seen their squad?!  :lol:

The difference being that they'll actually have watched him play week in week out. Rather than just a mate texting updates to their manager to say he's been playing well. 😋 (I'm sure Clarke has done more than that....or has he?)

9 hours ago, scotlad said:

That'd be a completely new way to "Scotland" things, missing out on a talent that was ours for the asking while we chase after any English never-will-be that fancies an international career cos it looks good on their CV.

9 hours ago, daviebee said:

That'd be a completely new way to "Scotland" things, missing out on a talent that was ours for the asking while we chase after any English never-will-be that fancies an international career cos it looks good on their CV.

Clarke would provide an indignant response too;

”Ryan just can’t break into my team, so we back his decision to follow his international career with Portugal”

Meanwhile Kenny McLean moves onto 40 caps. 

17 hours ago, daviebee said:

Or carry on calling up some SPFL/English Championship clogger because he had a good game three years earlier and he always turns up for squads.

Aye, it's not completely outside the realms of possibility, if you think about it.  :lol:

On 4/8/2021 at 11:08 AM, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Think they are far too good for him haha

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

Is this kid good, or just playing in a poor Celtic team? Haven't seen much of him but normally a starting Old Firm defender is in or around our squad.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56732925

Both probably. Celtic are way off the pace but he looks strong and solid & a huge step up from the comedy show defence they had with Duffy playing. 

4 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Is this kid good, or just playing in a poor Celtic team? Haven't seen much of him but normally a starting Old Firm defender is in or around our squad.

Havent really seen much of him but the reports are that hes been decent but nothing special. I doubt he will become a first choice centre back at celtic but its still positive to see him getting starts.

Having watched Ryan Gauld playing about 14 times this season I can say that I think he's definitely good enough to play for Portugal.

If he was playing for a Benfica or a Porto or Sporting Club, he'd shine the same way that Bruno is shining with Manchester United. 

His numbers for a club that will probably be relegated are insane! He could be in contention for the league's player of the year/team of the year and still go down. 

Edited by Taylor1996

56 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Havent really seen much of him but the reports are that hes been decent but nothing special. I doubt he will become a first choice centre back at celtic but its still positive to see him getting starts.

He is a first choice centre back right now though? Getting picked over other fit centre backs. 

5 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Truthfully, no one knows.

He might be an emergency stop-gap, he might be the real deal.

Well only really know when Celtic appoint a manager and they start splashing the cash. If they buy a center back, then we know the answer.

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Truthfully, no one knows.

He might be an emergency stop-gap, he might be the real deal.

Well only really know when Celtic appoint a manager and they start splashing the cash. If they buy a center back, then we know the answer.

A new manager coming in will be aware of their frailty at set pieces and will immediately buy two new centre halves to try and re-set the situation. I think it will then be down to the player to displace whoever is brought in. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’m sure given how well he is doing in Portugal he will have better teams in Portugal looking at him. 

Brighton would be okay, he surely can move to a more mid table side (Wolves etc).

Hopefully he doesn’t end up at Celtic or in the championship. 

You would think, given the season he has had, that some Spanish teams might be having a look too. Money might be a factor in staying in Portugal, while lifestyle might be a factor in leaving for England/Scotland. Spain would potentially resolve both those issues.

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I’m sure given how well he is doing in Portugal he will have better teams in Portugal looking at him. 

Brighton would be okay, he surely can move to a more mid table side (Wolves etc).

Hopefully he doesn’t end up at Celtic or in the championship. 

Ian Cathro is at Wolves too, a wee link there from their Dundee United days. Cathro was credited a lot with Gauld’s development.