Scottish player transfers - Page 124 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

44 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Backwards move? 

The guys 25 and barely strung a good season together since he left Dundee United. He plays for FARENSE, rangers are massive step up in playing level and wages. I am no lover of rangers but they are a decent European team these days and a guy like Gauld would be lucky to be playing for them. 

I think Scotland fans on here need a reality check regarding Gauld. The guy plays for the equivalent of Ross County at the age of 25, he's not the world beater ppl thought he would be and he's certainly not above coming back to play in Scotland especially for a club the size of rangers. 

He's by a mile the best player in the Farenese team and probably one of the best players in Portugal. Going to name me a player at Ross County player even close to the top 50 players in Scotland.(ok who scored have one at 50)

The Portuguese league has 3 or 4 decent teams we have 2, player for player it is miles better than ours.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He's by a mile the best player in the Farenese team and probably one of the best players in Portugal. Going to name me a player at Ross County player even close to the top 50 players in Scotland.(ok who scored have one at 50)

The Portuguese league has 3 or 4 decent teams we have 2, player for player it is miles better than ours.

I never said there was any Ross County players in the top 50 in Scotland.

End of the day if a team like Ross County or motherwell has a special talent then they get snapped up by bigger fish. It happens,it already happened to Gauld when he was at Dundee United. 

Gauld has performed well for the first time since he left Dundee United. Suddenly ppl on here think he's too good for rangers. There's a reason he's playing for farense at the age of 25. It's because he hasn't been good enough for a club like rangers or sporting Lisbon. 

The Portuguese league is stronger than the Scottish but it still has the same problem as Scotland and that is the gulf between the top 3/4 teams and the rest is huge. Obviously in Scotland its the top 2 teams but its still the same problem. 

Outside of the top 3/4 teams the standard drops considerably. I actually used to watch Gauld when he went out on loan to some of the lower clubs like vitoria and Aves and the standard of football at the arse end of the Portuguese league is poor. 

Gauld has done well at farense but ppl on here need a reality check. Rangers would be a massive step up for Gauld and there are far better players currently and in recent years who have played in Scotland. 

Farense to rangers is not a backwards move and it's laughable that anyone would think that. 

Gauld has done well but he's hardly the world beater ppl on here think he is otherwise he wouldn't be playing for farense at the age of 25.

47 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Outside of the top 3/4 teams the standard drops considerably. I actually used to watch Gauld when he went out on loan to some of the lower clubs like vitoria and Aves and the standard of football at the arse end of the Portuguese league is poor. 

Went on a right bender looking at Pass% last night after noticing that McIntyre's weren't that great.

Apart from Celtic and Rangers every team  in the SPL was below 73%. That is painful.

Only Farenese were under 73% in an 18 team league, one team in Belgium, two teams in The Netherlands and so it went on.

English championship was worse than us almost, got to love Wycombe, about a 50/50 chance they found their own player with a pass.

English League two had no team had a pass% over 75%.

Any way using the ability to do the simplest thing in football to compare leagues the Portuguese league is miles better than ours.

Bet that bored you.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

32 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Went on a right bender looking at Pass% last night after noticing that McIntyre's weren't that great.

Apart from Celtic and Rangers every team  in the SPL was below 73%. That is painful.

Only Farenese were under 73% in an 18 team league, one team in Belgium, two teams in The Netherlands and so it went on.

English championship was worse than us almost, got to love Wycombe, about a 50/50 chance they found their own player with a pass.

Any way using the ability to do the simplest thing in football to compare leagues the Portuguese league is miles better than ours.

Bet that bored you.

There's no doubt the Portuguese league is better but it's still a long way off the big leagues and playing for 1 of the worst teams in it doesn't amount to much. If he was 19/20 and playing well for farense then it would be much more exciting but he's 25. I have been a Gauld supporter/fan since he broke through at Dundee United but even I am not stubborn enough to keep believing he will be a top player. 

Ppl suggesting rangers is a backwards move is strange and deluded. Rangers would be a fantastic move for Gauld. Especially if the other options are lower/mid table Portuguese teams or championship clubs in England. Fair enough if sporting or Porto come in for him then by all means go there. 

There's been a lot of talented players who have played in Scotland in recent years who are a lot better than Gauld so I don't see why ppl think he's too good for the spl. 

4 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

That’s quite a claim, based on what? He’s not even played a full season for Farenese in the top league. 

7 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Bet that bored you.

I doubt he would get in the Rangers team, he would be a bench warmer.  Never really seen it with Gauld, thought he was average at Hibs.  People seem to rave about him but I just see hype. To be fair not seen him play recently.

48 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I doubt he would get in the Rangers team, he would be a bench warmer.  Never really seen it with Gauld, thought he was average at Hibs.  People seem to rave about him but I just see hype. To be fair not seen him play recently.

I think you’ve summed it up with not seen him play recently.

I would expect both Rangers & Celtic will be looking at him given his form but he could remain in Portugal & end up at a bigger team. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wigan's 19 year old Scotland striker linked to Arsenal, Tottenham, Celtic and Rangers.

Apparently, Celtic have made him an offer, on a Bosman.

I'm conflicted, I'd prefer him to stay in England as he'd have better training facilities, coaching, etc. But if he joined the Old Firm he'd have a bigger chance of regular first team action... plus it could play a part in him choosing Scotland over England (If he's any good).

On 3/10/2021 at 7:07 AM, Taylor1996 said:

Wigan's 19 year old Scotland striker, Kyle Joseph, linked to Arsenal, Tottenham, Celtic and Rangers.

Apparently, Celtic have made him an offer, on a Bosman.

I'm conflicted, I'd prefer him to stay in England as he'd have better training facilities, coaching, etc. But if he joined the Old Firm he'd have a bigger chance of regular first team action... plus it could play a part in him choosing Scotland over England (If he's any good).

Edit

2 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

Dylan Reid huge potential. Already been on trial at Benfica? and impressed. He’s been invited back.

Good stuff, thank you.

Does everybody else click on links like these whilst repeating "please be a striker, please be a striker" over and over in their heads?

• 2 weeks later...

Oli McBurnie linked with £15M Wolves transfer.

Unsure who his agent is but he’s clearly doing wonders in the press.

When you are short of quality to perform at the level you’re at, the last thing you need or are capable of is a step up in standard. 

Must be shite! 

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

When you are short of quality to perform at the level you’re at, the last thing you need or are capable of is a step up in standard. 

Must be shite! 

i would be flabbergasted if he goes to wolves for that amount.

12 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

i would be flabbergasted if he goes to wolves for that amount.

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Must be shite! 

Saw that and thought of you two straight away.

Would be funny though, even funnier if they played him at right wing back.

Wolves are pish this season though and seem to like playing with forwards that don't score so you never know.

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Saw that and thought of you two straight away.

Would be funny though, even funnier if they played him at right wing back.

Wolves are pish this season though and seem to like playing with forwards that don't score so you never know.

When I posted about it, I instantly thought of you too haha. 

They do but they also have technically sound players everywhere. Surely not... 

Think Sheffield would bite their hands off for that, only lost 5 million on him ( plus wages)

If I am not mistake, he would overtake Burke as the highest transfer fees paid for any Scottish internationalist. I am trying to let that sink in and not wonder in amazement at the English transfer system. 

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

Think Sheffield would bite their hands off for that, only lost 5 million on him ( plus wages)

If I am not mistake, he would overtake Burke as the highest transfer fees paid for any Scottish internationalist. I am trying to let that sink in and not wonder in amazement at the English transfer system. 

It must be nonsense, surely.

You’d be absolutely fuming as a Wolves fan if they signed him 

Genuine question. IF he is that good and IF he goes on to reinforce that at one of the bigger Portuguese teams, is he eligible to play for Portugal? He's been there 6/7 years now so is presumably eligible for citizenship - would that make him football eligible? He hasn't suggested he'd be interested as far as I know, just wondering. 

EDIT: that was supposed to quote the above post by ceudmilefailte about Gauld being one of the best players in Portugal.

Edited by Scots_Wha_Hae