Scottish player transfers - Page 117 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

15 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

That would be great, even if he stayed in Belgium for a season or two before moving onwards, it would be far better than returning to Scotland.

I've seen about half a dozen Belgium Pro League matches this season. It's far better than the SPL. It would surprise people.

Rangers made short work of Standard Liege.

30 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

But still a stronger league acc. to you.

Didn't think it was but if a team 12th in the league can make the group stages of the Europa league , maybe they got there automatically but if the 5th best team in the Belgian league does that as good as proves it is better.

They won against Lech Poznan and drew with Benifica, do you think Ross County could do that?

18 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yep.

It's nuanced. Some would say if you have less strikers, the midfield will be stronger for having an extra body, and yet our midfield has constantly been over-ran when we played one up top.

Agreed. I'll save it all up for when our next manager rips up our current system. ;)

Talking of Kyle Joseph...

The main pic on his Twitter page is of a Scotland team photograph (probably u19s). Which is nice that he seems proud to represent us. Let's just hope he progresses into a good striker.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kyle9joseph?lang=en

That's great he seems passionate about Scotland but that just reminded me about another player, Scott Banks of Crystal Palace, great talent, apparently considering switching to Wales?

5 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

But still a stronger league acc. to you.

(I don't get your logic. Standard Liege are 12th. Their current league equivalent in Scotland is St Johnstone. Let's see who wins if Standard Liege play St Johnstone.

If Standard Liege played in the SPL they'd finish 3rd, minimum.)

Sunderland linked to Kevin Nisbet.

On 1/11/2021 at 8:15 PM, Taylor1996 said:

(I don't get your logic. Standard Liege are 12th. Their current league equivalent in Scotland is St Johnstone. Let's see who wins if Standard Liege play St Johnstone.

If Standard Liege played in the SPL they'd finish 3rd, minimum.)

I really don't think the gap between them is that huge. In the UEFA Club co-efficients Belgium lie 9th and Scotland 11th.

14 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I really don't think the gap between them is that huge. In the UEFA Club co-efficients Belgium lie 9th and Scotland 11th.

It is. It's stronger in depth.

The reason that Scotland are 11th is because of the Old Firm. Without them, Scotland would be closer to 20/30 than 10.

We all know Anderlecht as the number one team in Belgium. They're currently fifth. 13 points behind Club Brugge and almost half of the season gone.

And that's before factoring in their mythical youth system.

4 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

It is. It's stronger in depth.

The reason that Scotland are 11th is because of the Old Firm. Without them, Scotland would be closer to 20/30 than 10.

We all know Anderlecht as the number one team in Belgium. They're currently fifth. 13 points behind Club Brugge and almost half of the season gone.

And that's before factoring in their mythical youth system.

Stronger in depth - yes. But like I say by no means a yawning chasm.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/celtic-set-for-jack-hendry-23371145

Jack Hendry apparently making his move to KV Oostende permanent for £1.75m.

No source, though. Daily Record just citing "a report". Hopefully it's legit, though.

Not sure why there's the laugh emoji. I'm really fascinated by the reports of Hendry's time in Belgium. I know Celtic fans weren't impressed but is there any chance he matured/found his way? I really don't want to start another discussion comparing leagues but I have an open mind.

9 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Not sure why there's the laugh emoji. I'm really fascinated by the reports of Hendry's time in Belgium. I know Celtic fans weren't impressed but is there any chance he matured/found his way? I really don't want to start another discussion comparing leagues but I have an open mind.

Yeah. Click on my profile and read my past x amount of posts. You'll notice that I'm being stalked by the Joker.

I've seen a couple of his matches and he does look like he's been hitting the gym. I forgot how fast he was, too. 

He's playing in the middle of a back three with his club and he appears to be thriving.

I think the penny has dropped and he's maturing. Long may it continue as with his passing and pace, he could be the reason for pushing McTominay into midfield 

1 minute ago, SkyBlueScot said:

The games I watched while he was at celtic he played OK. Celtic were on a bad run when he was playing and he was the scapegoat but celtic were struggling for goals at that time and unfortunately the results weren't going very well whenever he played. 

I think it's great that he has found some form with oostende and he's still only 25 so he could develop into a decent centre back. 

However I know you didn't wish to start another debate about league standards but the Belgian league isn't that far ahead of the Scottish league and he's playing for an average team in that league. I think no one would dispute that Jack hendry could cut it at an average Scottish team like livi or kilmarnock so personally I am not getting too excited by his improved form as I always felt his level would be an average team in a relatively poor(compared to the top euro leagues) league like the Belgian or Scottish league. 

I would like to see him move to oostende permanently and get a good season or two under his belt. Then maybe move up a level. 

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Great news, he should get games there and finally kick start his career. 

I can’t say I’ve been too impressed with him. He’s okay as a player, rather than a stand out. I think he’s only got 6 months left on his contract so Feyernord probably don’t want him. Edit : George Johnston that is. 

Edited by er yir macaroon