Scottish player transfers - Page 116 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

35 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

He was terrible as a right back. Remember that Rodgers only played Hendry there because of an injury crisis and he had nobody else for that position. 

General feeling is that he was terrible no matter were he played at Celtic.

Might do a Tom McInytyre and be forced to play as a full back and look even better there than he does as a center half.

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

General feeling is that he was terrible no matter were he played at Celtic.

Might do a Tom McInytyre and be forced to play as a full back and look even better there than he does as a center half.

I'd rather we didn't go down that route at all and would rather wait for a proper right back/wing back to become available.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I'd rather we didn't go down that route at all and would rather wait for a proper right back/wing back to become available.

I'd rather we didn't but I would be quite happy if who ever he signed for did. If he signs for any of the teams mentioned I can't see him being anywhere other than on the bench.

6 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Me, neither.

That's the beauty of a three, as it eliminates our right back problem.

Yet It creates a right wing back problem.

And on the other side results in neither of our best players being able to play in their best position. 

Edited by ProudScot

13 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yet It creates a right wing back problem.

And on the other side results in neither of our best players being able to play in their best position. 

I agree. It doesn't matter if we play 4 or 3 at the back we still have a RB or RWB problem. But, saying that, it is our best option at the minute and allows SOD to go forward. An excellent RB emerging may allow us to return to a back 4 and McTominay back into midfield 

Not sure why Tottenham are going after Kyle Joseph. Last year he rejected them (and Sheffield United) to stay with Wigan. Unless they guarantee him first team games (unlikely) he'll probably sign a new Wigan deal or join a club of similar status, like, Rangers. Would rather he stayed in England, though.

(Go back to a back four? Yes. I'm sick of seeing Scotland qualifying for tournaments and being difficult to score against. Let's go back to failing to qualify for anything for 18 years. Remember the four block of matches from June - October last year where we conceded thirteen goals? Those were the days. I miss losing 0-3 away to Kazakhstan))

Edited by Taylor1996

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Not sure why Tottenham are going after Kyle Joseph. Last year he rejected them (and Sheffield United) to stay with Wigan. Unless they guarantee him first team games (unlikely) he'll probably sign a new Wigan deal or join a club of similar status, like, Rangers. Would rather he stayed in England, though.

(Go back to a back four? Yes. I'm sick of seeing Scotland qualifying for tournaments and being difficult to score against. Let's go back to failing to qualify for anything for 18 years. Remember the four block of matches from June - October last year where we conceded thirteen goals? Those were the days. I miss losing 0-3 away to Kazakhstan))

Wigan similar status to Rangers as a club . Surely you're on the wind up ? 

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

This is among your most ridiculous posts ever 

14 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2021/01/10/aston-villa-and-wolves-enquire-about-defender-making-a-name-for-himself-in-belgium/

Aston Villa, Wolves, Bournemouth, Werder Bremen and Freiburg credited with an interest in Jack Hendry.

Good for him... And Scotland.

Hopefully it shows people that knee-jerk reactions are silly.

In fairness he was poor for Celtic. Seems like a change to a League that's less physical has allowed him to blossom. A move to the bundesliga could be very good for him.

1 minute ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

In fairness he was poor for Celtic. Seems like a change to a League that's less physical has allowed him to blossom. A move to the bundesliga could be very good for him.

He's playing in a three and seems to be thriving because if it.

Whichever choice he makes next, hopefully, it's the correct one. The more choices as the back we have, the better.

8 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Whichever choice he makes next, hopefully, it's the correct one. The more choices as the back we have, the better.

The Belgians have an option to make the deal permanent. I could see them exercising that and moving him on for a decent profit straight away. Sign him for 1.5 million and move him on straight away for 3-5 million. Unlike here that stuff does happen now and then in Europe.

Whatever happens I don't see him back at Celtic. Which tbh would probably be the worst thing for him.

19 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

The Belgians have an option to make the deal permanent. I could see them exercising that and moving him on for a decent profit straight away. Sign him for 1.5 million and move him on straight away for 3-5 million. Unlike here that stuff does happen now and then in Europe.

Whatever happens I don't see him back at Celtic. Which tbh would probably be the worst thing for him.

I doubt that team are spending 1.5m on a celtic reject. Does that team have 1.5m to spend on players?

40 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

That would be great, even if he stayed in Belgium for a season or two before moving onwards, it would be far better than returning to Scotland.

I've seen about half a dozen Belgium Pro League matches this season. It's far better than the SPL. It would surprise people.

57 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Really is a possibility that playing in a back three makes just about any central defender look better. More so if it's the center of the back three.

Ask a Motherwell fan.

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Really is a possibility that playing in a back three makes just about any central defender looks better. More so if it's the center of the back three.

Ask a Motherwell fan.

It certainly does.

"Strength in numbers" is something that I was harping on about for years. It's the same for midfield and attack.

Kenny Miller, Steven Fletcher and Steven Naismith would've benefited so much with a strike partner.

54 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

It certainly does.

"Strength in numbers" is something that I was harping on about for years. It's the same for midfield and attack.

Kenny Miller, Steven Fletcher and Steven Naismith would've benefited so much with a strike partner.

Well I guess if we can make all our players look better than they are we might be onto something.

Problem with strength in numbers in one area of the park leads to weakness's in others, but lets not go of topic even though I started it.

13 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Well I guess if we can make all our players look better than they are we might be onto something.

Problem with strength in numbers in one area of the park leads to weakness's in others, but lets not go of topic even though I started it.

Yep.

It's nuanced. Some would say if you have less strikers, the midfield will be stronger for having an extra body, and yet our midfield has constantly been over-ran when we played one up top.

Agreed. I'll save it all up for when our next manager rips up our current system. ;)

Talking of Kyle Joseph...

The main pic on his Twitter page is of a Scotland team photograph (probably u19s). Which is nice that he seems proud to represent us. Let's just hope he progresses into a good striker.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kyle9joseph?lang=en

16 hours ago, noctonjock said:

Wigan similar status to Rangers as a club . Surely you're on the wind up ? 

(Not to get into a big thing, as this isn't the thread to do so, but Alfie Doughty has just elected to join Stoke City over Celtic and Rangers. Also, 21-year-old ex-Manchester United kid Dion McGhee has rejected Rangers to join Braga.

In the grand scheme of things, the Old Firm are tiny. Like it or lump it.)

Rangers linked to Allan Campbell, along with a few unnamed suitors in the English Championship.

Napoli still interested in Tierney, but I'm guessing it'll cost them £70m+ for Arsenal to take any notice.