Scottish player transfers - Page 113 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

11 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Craig Bryson, Craig Forsyth, Chris Maguire, Craig Conway, Gordon Greer, Johnny Russell, Kevin McDonald, Graham Dorrans, Chris Burke, Ross Wallace, kevin mcnaughton.

Let me know if you want any more. 

Correct me if I am wrong but how many of the above got transfered to the premier league? My post was about people moving to the championship as a stepping stone. 

Obviously a number have managed to stay at that level but none of the above can reasonably be considered as long term success. None of the players above went onto become 1st picks / mainstays in the Scotland team.

44 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Correct me if I am wrong but how many of the above got transfered to the premier league? My post was about people moving to the championship as a stepping stone. 

Obviously a number have managed to stay at that level but none of the above can reasonably be considered as long term success. None of the players above went onto become 1st picks / mainstays in the Scotland team.

Correct. Every player named there is or was a solid English Championship/SPFL level player; nothing more, nothing less.

Despite which, they've all managed to earn caps for the national team (Maguire excepted), which, I think, neatly illustrates why we've failed to qualify for anything for over two decades.

Not a Scottish transfer but Sheffield United signing Brewster will mean Burke and / or McBurnie spending more time on the bench. Sheffield have a big number of non scoring strikers so maybe the problem is elsewhere. 

Burke, McBurnie, Sharp, McGoldrick, Mousett.

Maybe Burke will go back into midfield.

On 9/30/2020 at 10:24 PM, Diamond Scot said:

Its a simplistic view on things though. Premier League is not like the old Division One days (pre-EPL). Now it is stacked full of foreign imports at each club and English talent and up and coming English players. It leaves little space for Scottish players to figure unlike the old days. EPL clubs are far more inclined to bother shopping in Scotland. They probably have cut back on having so many scouts even bothering with Scotland due to our recent slump. That would explain why a number of young talented Scots have ended up abroad rather than in the EPL. In all fairness to the Scots plying their trade in the Championship or ones that have they can contribute just as much to the Scotland side as our players playing in the EPL. EPL-based does not magic them into top notch at international level - we just need to look at Charlie Adam for evidence of that and others too.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Its a simplistic view on things though. Premier League is not like the old Division One days (pre-EPL). Now it is stacked full of foreign imports at each club and English talent and up and coming English players. It leaves little space for Scottish players to figure unlike the old days. EPL clubs are far more inclined to bother shopping in Scotland. They probably have cut back on having so many scouts even bothering with Scotland due to our recent slump. That would explain why a number of young talented Scots have ended up abroad rather than in the EPL. In all fairness to the Scots plying their trade in the Championship or ones that have they can contribute just as much to the Scotland side as our players playing in the EPL. EPL-based does not magic them into top notch at international level - we just need to look at Charlie Adam for evidence of that and others too.

My post was in responce to people saying McKenna would just use the Championship as a stepping stone to the EPL. Very few of our players have been able to do that unless their team gets promoted. 

33 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

My post was in responce to people saying McKenna would just use the Championship as a stepping stone to the EPL. Very few of our players have been able to do that unless their team gets promoted. 

To them I'd say is it important if they make it to the EPL? I'd say not. It is not set in stone that playing in the EPL guarantees we have a top notch performer on our hands at international level - look at Charlie Adam. McAllister famously got pelters from our fans yet played in the EPL. It is not 'The Holy Grail'. 

38 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8801679/Burnley-make-approach-Dundee-United-striker-Lawrence-Shankland-500-000-loan-deal.html

Bizarre loan deal for Shankland from Burnley apparently. 

Logan Chalmers also linked with Burnley too. 

I can see how that would work. 500,000 nothing to an EPL team and Dyche wants new singings but board not given any readies. If it works then 3-4 million buy, If it doesn't work out then back to Tannadice next season and United half a million quid better off ( assuming they don't get relegated) 

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

I can see how that would work. 500,000 nothing to an EPL team and Dyche wants new singings but board not given any readies. If it works then 3-4 million buy, If it doesn't work out then back to Tannadice next season and United half a million quid better off ( assuming they don't get relegated) 

Without Shankland and no replacement lined up, we will get relegated. In any case I read a tweet this morning from a journalist in the know who claims that Burnley are actually more interested in Logan Chalmers 

53 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Jack Aitchison

Another much touted youngster ready to take the "Fleck route", Barnsley isn't bad start though.

Why do we fall into this trap time after time of youngsters who have a few decent matches and the next big thing?

Do other similar sized countries do this?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54425675

Erm think this is all in your heid fella. I can’t recall anyone or anytime Jack Aitchison being touted as the “next big thing”

2 minutes ago, JECK said:

Erm think this is all in your heid fella. I can’t recall anyone or anytime Jack Aitchison being touted as the “next big thing”

Think if you look at this board through time ( even for Forest Green ) and the impact scoring for Celtic when he was 16 then folks did think a great future lay ahead ( it might still do )

File under Feruz, Burchill, Fotheringham, McGeouch et al

2 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Jack Aitchison

Another much touted youngster ready to take the "Fleck route", Barnsley isn't bad start though.

Why do we fall into this trap time after time of youngsters who have a few decent matches and the next big thing?

Do other similar sized countries do this?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54425675

Good move for him, I reckon. Better than kicking around in Celtic's reserves anyway. 

I also reckon Barnsley provides a much better platform to "do a Fleck" than Harrogate Town, destination of another one-time next big thing, Calvin Miller (albeit Harrogate's a nicer place to live, by all accounts).

• 2 weeks later...