Scottish player transfers - Page 110 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

Not many players will go straight to the EPL from teams like aberdeen. Fraser needed a stepping stone to get there and now he is an established EPL player. From that perspective its a good move. 

Mckenna was a rock so far this season, back to the player he was in 18/19

All the best to him

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Not many players will go straight to the EPL from teams like aberdeen. Fraser needed a stepping stone to get there and now he is an established EPL player. From that perspective its a good move. 

Mckenna was a rock so far this season, back to the player he was in 18/19

All the best to him

I hope Aberdeen got a decent fee for him as they were rubbish today without him. Anything less than 5m is not worth it imo. 

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

I hope Aberdeen got a decent fee for him as they were rubbish today without him. Anything less than 5m is not worth it imo. 

He wasnt the sole reason aberdeen were rubbish. Hoban was on the bench, he is a very good centre half BUT we cant cope without both of them. Mcinnes fucked up today.

We wont get 5m, he is only just back tp his previous form and this is a different transfer market.

3m is my guess

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

He wasnt the sole reason aberdeen were rubbish. Hoban was on the bench, he is a very good centre half BUT we cant cope without both of them. Mcinnes fucked up today.

We wont get 5m, he is only just back tp his previous form and this is a different transfer market.

3m is my guess

Then why sell for 3m, Aberdeen should be holding out for much more considering the amount that average players go for in England. Same goes for Cosgrove, did Aberdeen not accept 2.7m for him?

I don't understand Scottish clubs setting such low valuations on their players when guys like mcginn and McLean have done relatively well down there. 

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Then why sell for 3m, Aberdeen should be holding out for much more considering the amount that average players go for in England. Same goes for Cosgrove, did Aberdeen not accept 2.7m for him?

I don't understand Scottish clubs setting such low valuations on their players when guys like mcginn and McLean have done relatively well down there. 

3m in this market is not a disaster for a player who showed great potential then fell away and is find a bit of form, he is also.desperate to to england.

Id bite your hand off if someone paid 2.7 for cosrgove. He is very mich overated

Just now, vanderark14 said:

3m in this market is not a disaster for a player who showed great potential then fell away and is find a bit of form, he is also.desperate to to england.

Id bite your hand off if someone paid 2.7 for cosrgove. He is very mich overated

3m for 23 year old established international player who will at worst be good at English championship level is undervaluing him. 

Sam Cosgrove could probably score goals at English championship level and those guys go for over 10m. 2.7m is stupid for a guy who's scored 1 in 2games for Aberdeen. Aberdeen have helped mould Cosgrove into a decent striker since he moved there and should be looking to make serious coin out of guys like him. There's plenty of daft English clubs with more money than sense. Ivan toney got sold for 5m that rises to 10m with add ons. That's a league 1 striker. 

21 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

£3M is cheap for a McKenna but I doubt if Aberdeen are in a position to turn it down. They should go for a 30% sell on clause for that money. 

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

£3M is cheap for a McKenna but I doubt if Aberdeen are in a position to turn it down. They should go for a 30% sell on clause for that money. 

Aberdeen definitely not in a position to say no. This will help forest immensly during negotiations. As much as i want more for him, i am a realist and right now aberdeen are losing a lot of money

19 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Might be in league one next year at Forrest

Calm down. They've got just the 44 league games left to play 😂

Edited by Parklife

21 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Sixteen caps for a twenty three year old Scottish Premiership player who doesn't play for the Old Firm is not bad by todays standards.

Particularly if you compare him to Liam Cooper who's several years older and only got three caps!  Is the Championship really that much better than the Scottish Premiership?

19 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Particularly if you compare him to Liam Cooper who's several years older and only got three caps!  Is the Championship really that much better than the Scottish Premiership?

No.

It's total snobbery. The English, generally, compare the SPL to League 2/3. 

You saw what happened with Tierney, it took months and Celtic twisting Arsenal's arms to get £25m, even though we all know that he's world class and worth £70m in today's market.

Aston Villa bought John McGinn for £4m, and a year later they quoted Man United £50m for him.

English football isn't playing with a full deck 

Edited by Taylor1996

18 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

It’s not for no reason that Cooper is known as League One Liam amongst Leeds fans.

If McKenna does well there then maybe he can get a move to a better club, Forest are another basket case of a club 

8 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Scott McKenna to sign for Nottingham Forrest on Tuesday.

£3m up front. Potentially rising to £6m (Probably if Forrest get promoted to the EPL) and a 25% sell on fee.

Good money for the Dons, hopefully cash in someday on the sell on clause, that means he will be going to a higher level.

Or they could get as much on the sell on clause as they did for Fraser. 😬

16 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Scotland caps mean very little when we are so terrible.

Our worst player Stephen O’Donnell must have a good few caps. 

How many Scots have moved direct to the Championship and become long term success?

I can remember lots of guys who many on here tipped to go to the Championship as a stepping stone but ultimately couldnt establish themselves. Guys like Liam Lindsay, Stevie May, Steven McLean, Barry McKay and Greame Shinnie etc

Trying to think of anybody other than Fraiser, Adam, McGinn and possibly McLean. 

I think the step up is much more than people think. Yes there are some rubbish players in the Championship however most teams have much more quality and certainly strength in depth than anybody outside the Old Firm. 

51 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

How many Scots have moved direct to the Championship and become long term success?

I can remember lots of guys who many on here tipped to go to the Championship as a stepping stone but ultimately couldnt establish themselves. Guys like Liam Lindsay, Stevie May, Steven McLean, Barry McKay and Greame Shinnie etc

Trying to think of anybody other than Fraiser, Adam, McGinn and possibly McLean. 

I think the step up is much more than people think. Yes there are some rubbish players in the Championship however most teams have much more quality and certainly strength in depth than anybody outside the Old Firm. 

Tbf shinnie played last season and is a first team player this season for Derby and barrie mckay did well initially when he went to Nottingham forest. 

I would say there is alot more successful examples than failures. 

Guys like s fletcher, mccormack, Paterson, Snodgrass are success stories along with the guys you already mentioned.

Your right in saying it is a step up from the spl but it's not a massive gap imo. I think at the moment Aberdeen and hibs would do OK in the English championship and maybe kilmarnock. The lower half of the championship/top half of league 1 is standard of the spl teams outside the old firm imo. 

19 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbf shinnie played last season and is a first team player this season for Derby and barrie mckay did well initially when he went to Nottingham forest. 

I would say there is alot more successful examples than failures. 

Guys like s fletcher, mccormack, Paterson, Snodgrass are success stories along with the guys you already mentioned.

Your right in saying it is a step up from the spl but it's not a massive gap imo. I think at the moment Aberdeen and hibs would do OK in the English championship and maybe kilmarnock. The lower half of the championship/top half of league 1 is standard of the spl teams outside the old firm imo. 

I think the biggest difference between the Scottish Premiership and English Championship is you're playing against teams of a that standard on a more regular basis. If we say half the Scottish Premier wouldn't compete above the relegation battle in the Championship and that's roughly half your games, playing in the Championship makes your average game tougher - even if you're missing out on regular matches against the Old Firm duo.