Scottish player transfers - Page 102 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

1 minute ago, aaid said:

Look at what I've actually been saying.

Fraser made his decision to leave Bournemouth a year ago - when he did that Newcastle would've been considered as about a sideways move as its possible to get.   The fact that Bournemouth subsequently were relegated and Fraser's form was abysmal doesn't alter that.  When he rejected the contract at Bournemouth, he was being linked with the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool, not Newcastle, Palace and Fulham as he is now and which tells you everything you need to know.   If he signs for Newcastle then he'll be playing at a similar level of football for a team of a similar quality as he was with Bournemouth, that's not improvement.

Going on about Newcastle's "potential" is like those people still thinking that Islam Feruz will screw the nut or calling for Jordan Rhodes to be included in the squad.

Improvement? What I am looking for is as improvement as a player and I go by the here and nows not what might have been. Bournemouth have been relegated and so had he chose to stay there he'd now be a Championship player. If he signs for Newcastle its a step up from where he would have been starting the season at Bournemouth. A player does not achieve improvement as a player dependent on if the club is challenging for titles. It all depends on the player himself and how he is coached/used at that club. 

Lets be honest here - what if he had of signed for Arsenal or Liverpool? Not what Scotland needs at all. I am 99.9% certain he'd have become a bench warmer at best. Newcastle is a better fit for him where he will get far more game time and allow him to develop further.

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

It really woupdnt be difficult at all.

3 hours ago, daviebee said:

Exactly. Agent sends him a text - "you'll get 100k a week and access to their database of international call-off excuses."

Fraser - "Sign."

You can have a medical remotely now?

The guy is obviously anxious to sort out his future. Believe it or not some people might prioritise their livelihood over playing for Scotland. Particularly if they are not match fit and would be very unlikely to get a game. 

17 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I didn’t say Paisley though, I said Renfrew. 

It makes sense to support your local team as it’s the easiest one to get to and if you do have pride in your town/city/county then you probably will but it doesn’t make you a bad person if you don’t.

Supporting Killie is your choice but if you had followed your grandad and supported Celtic so what? 

I have no interest in the baggage that comes with the old firm, so was never an option.

30 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Improvement? What I am looking for is as improvement as a player and I go by the here and nows not what might have been. Bournemouth have been relegated and so had he chose to stay there he'd now be a Championship player. If he signs for Newcastle its a step up from where he would have been starting the season at Bournemouth. A player does not achieve improvement as a player dependent on if the club is challenging for titles. It all depends on the player himself and how he is coached/used at that club. 

Lets be honest here - what if he had of signed for Arsenal or Liverpool? Not what Scotland needs at all. I am 99.9% certain he'd have become a bench warmer at best. Newcastle is a better fit for him where he will get far more game time and allow him to develop further.

It's not a step up from where he's been playing at Bournemouth over the last few years though.

Had he remained at Bournemouth he'd have taken a step backwards.  As it stands - if he signs for Newcastle - then it's staying at they same level.

Not taking a step backwards is not the same as taking a step forwards.

6 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Plenty,

I also know @ONeils4oyarder and despite his dad supporting one the OF and coming from Lanarkshire, he wasn't a Lemming and supports his local club, as do his kids.

Does that make him a better person than someone from Lanarkshire whose Dad took him to Ibrox or Celtic Park and ending supporting one of the Old Firm?

I’ll save you from answering - the answer is no. 

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

It's not a step up from where he's been playing at Bournemouth over the last few years though.

Had he remained at Bournemouth he'd have taken a step backwards.  As it stands - if he signs for Newcastle - then it's staying at they same level.

It conveniently avoids the fact that Bournemouth have been relegated though and that looked an odds-on certainty even before COVID-19 brought the season to a halt. Therefore he has moved to a club still in the EPL unlike Bournemouth. Newcastle have longer EPL status too than Bournemouth and look at the odds for the EPL last season - Bournemouth 2000-1 and Newcastle 500-1. Bookmakers seem to place Newcastle above Bournemouth too.

At the end of the day we are losing sight over a more important factor here. We need all of our international players at clubs getting regular first team football at the highest level possible - Fraser at Newcastle would tick that box. Fraser at Arsenal or Liverpool (only vaguely rumoured as interested and could have been pie in the sky) would not tick that box.

3 hours ago, aaid said:

Remind me again of what Newcastle have actually achieved over the last half a century?   

They absolute best you can say about them is that they are a lower-mid table EPL team. Bang average with owners with no ambition to be anything other than that. 

As for being under increased scrutiny at Newcastle, don’t make me laugh.  A big part of why they’ve been so consistently shite over the decades is that the fans indulge the players and accept mediocrity.  

They've had Champions League football 5 times in the EPL era,  finished 2nd twice, 3rd twice and 4th once.

They have a cunt of an owner but he won't be there forever and they are light years ahead of Bournmouth in terms of size of club.

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Rightly so, I am a huge fan of his ability but he doesn't turn up for squads. If he pulls out two stellar performances to get us to the euros then he might begin to get some respect on here. 

The guy has withdrawn from far too many squads and has played for his club the very next weekend on at least a couple of occasions after pulling out. I completely agree that his level of commitment to Scotland isn’t where it should be. 

What I’m saying is I don’t have a problem with him not being in the squad this time. I don’t even know why Clarke was considering calling him up in the first place. He hasn’t kicked a ball in months and has had no formal preseason training.    He would be nowhere near the starting 11 and probably would play no part at all in either of our upcoming games. 

If he continues to pull out of squads when he isn’t injured/unfit or has his livelihood to sort out then I’ll be the first to say he can get tae fuck. 

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Does that make him a better person than someone from Lanarkshire whose Dad took him to Ibrox or Celtic Park and ending supporting one of the Old Firm?

I’ll save you from answering - the answer is no. 

Depends if their dad was just as bigot who supports one side of the old firm based on what foot he kicks with or not. Having met plenty of OF fans from Lanarkshire, that's usually the case.

If so then he's a bigoted wee shite just like his dad and a large % of the fans of the club he supports.

Probably says he doesn't join in the songs too but then when he's pished can't help himself.

You know the type.

33 minutes ago, aaid said:

I cannae believe you are still peddling this nonsense 

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

Depends if their dad was just as bigot who supports one side of the old firm based on what foot he kicks with or not. Having met plenty of OF fans from Lanarkshire, that's usually the case.

If so then he's a bigoted wee shite just like his dad and a large % of the fans of the club he supports.

Probably says he doesn't join in the songs too but then when he's pished can't help himself.

You know the type

Of course there are bigots in the supports of both OF teams but you get plenty of people who are not bigots as well, regardless of where they live. 

Believe it or not there will also bigots in the Kilmarnock support and in the support of every club in Scotland. 

You could even say that being intolerant of a persons right to support whichever team they like, regardless of where they are from and labelling them all as bigots and fannies is a form of bigotry in itself. 🤔

8 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

He’s got previous so doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt. 

Maybe. 

He really should be nowhere near the squad at the moment anyway in my opinion. He shouldn’t have had to request not to be selected as Clarke shouldn’t have been picking him in the first place.  

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

You can have a medical remotely now?

The guy is obviously anxious to sort out his future. Believe it or not some people might prioritise their livelihood over playing for Scotland. Particularly if they are not match fit and would be very unlikely to get a game. 

Medicals can be carried out in glasgow yes

Edited by vanderark14

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Medicals can be carried out in glasgow yes

Yes, I’m sure Newcastle or whoever would be happy to bend over backwards for Fraser and work around his training schedule with Scotland. 

Signing negotiations can drag on for hours as well. Hardly ideal preparation for a big game on Friday, especially for someone that hasn’t played for 6 months. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yes, I’m sure Newcastle or whoever would be happy to bend over backwards for Fraser and work around his training schedule with Scotland. 

Signing negotiations can drag on for hours as well. Hardly ideal preparation for a big game on Friday, especially for someone that hasn’t played for 6 months. 

Im quite sure there have been instances of players departing international training to complete their transfers in the past. 

6 hours ago, aaid said:

I’ve never been overly impressed with his performances for the National Team but then he’s hardly unique in that.  

However in this case his omission from the squad isn’t unexpected and I wouldn’t view it as him “making himself unavailable” in the way some have done.

Not only has he not played any football for six months but he won’t have done any training either. Obviously you’d like to think he’s been keeping his fitness level up but wouldn’t be doing any group training.  

When teams in England were allowed to restart training in May or whenever with a view to the season resuming, since he wouldn’t sign a short-term extension, he was effectively without a club from that point on. 

Also given the circumstances around COVID restrictions, I doubt he’d be able to use the usual route players between clubs do and train with another club - or use their facilities- whose manager they are friendly with. 

You’d like to think that either he’s had that conversation with Clarke in advance of the squad announcement or he’s well aware of his position. 

He needs to get a new club and get a decent amount of pre-season training in before he can even think of playing at any sort of level. 

Sensible post.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It conveniently avoids the fact that Bournemouth have been relegated though and that looked an odds-on certainty even before COVID-19 brought the season to a halt. Therefore he has moved to a club still in the EPL unlike Bournemouth. Newcastle have longer EPL status too than Bournemouth and look at the odds for the EPL last season - Bournemouth 2000-1 and Newcastle 500-1. Bookmakers seem to place Newcastle above Bournemouth too.

At the end of the day we are losing sight over a more important factor here. We need all of our international players at clubs getting regular first team football at the highest level possible - Fraser at Newcastle would tick that box. Fraser at Arsenal or Liverpool (only vaguely rumoured as interested and could have been pie in the sky) would not tick that box.

I can remember loads of people on here saying that Andy Robertson would be mad to go to Liverpool from Hull as the best he’d be able to hope for would be to warm the bench there.  

Not that I’m comparing Fraser to Robertson before anyone accused me of that. 

If Fraser had been playing in the Championship then moving to Newcastle would be a step up but he isn’t and hasn’t played at that level for four years or so.  Last season he was playing for a low to mid table team and this season he’ll be doing the same - if that’s where he ends up.

i agree that it’s important he gets back to playing football regularly and at the highest level but this really is just shuffling the pack for him. 

I’d take issue with Bournemouth being nailed on for relegation pre-COVID, I’d say that Villa looked a lot more likely for the drop.  Norwich were probably the only team that looked down and out when the season restarted.  Bookies odds are a factor of how much money is wagered and is pretty meaningless. 

1 minute ago, aaid said:

I can remember loads of people on here saying that Andy Robertson would be mad to go to Liverpool from Hull as the best he’d be able to hope for would be to warm the bench there.  

Not that I’m comparing Fraser to Robertson before anyone accused me of that. 

If Fraser had been playing in the Championship then moving to Newcastle would be a step up but he isn’t and hasn’t played at that level for four years or so.  Last season he was playing for a low to mid table team and this season he’ll be doing the same - if that’s where he ends up.

i agree that it’s important he gets back to playing football regularly and at the highest level but this really is just shuffling the pack for him. 

I’d take issue with Bournemouth being nailed on for relegation pre-COVID, I’d say that Villa looked a lot more likely for the drop.  Norwich were probably the only team that looked down and out when the season restarted.  Bookies odds are a factor of how much money is wagered and is pretty meaningless. 

Bookmakers use many factors when working out odds. Bournemouth were in their fifth season (ever) in the top flight before relegated. Newcastle have been in the top flight far longer and established hence why they were shorter odds plus with greater spending power than Bournemouth. I like to think I am an optimist with regards our players but there is no way Fraser would have went to Liverpool or Arsenal and became a first team regular. In any case all those were that Arsenal and Liverpool were after him were tabloid tittle-tattle and we have no base to believe these were facts. If they were they could have got him for next to nothing in the last few weeks.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

They've had Champions League football 5 times in the EPL era,  finished 2nd twice, 3rd twice and 4th once.

They have a cunt of an owner but he won't be there forever and they are light years ahead of Bournmouth in terms of size of club.

Those two runner-up positions were 25 years ago and since then they’ve been relegated twice.  Ashley is the current problem but even before him, except for a very short period when John Hall was chairman and Keegan was manager it has been decade after decade of failure and mediocrity.