Scottish player transfers - Page 100 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

51 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

If I grew up in Paisley I would like to think I'd support St Mirren, aye.

Just like I grew up in Ayrshire and support Killie.

A lot of folk I grew up with support Celtic, my granddad was in Lisbon in 67. I had zero interest in supporting Celtic.

I didn’t say Paisley though, I said Renfrew. 

It makes sense to support your local team as it’s the easiest one to get to and if you do have pride in your town/city/county then you probably will but it doesn’t make you a bad person if you don’t.

Supporting Killie is your choice but if you had followed your grandad and supported Celtic so what? 

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

Few media outlets saying Ryan Fraser has "agreed personal terms" with Newcastle.

To join the Matt Richie club at St James saying " F***K Scotland, i have you on my CV already."

Think is Fraser ever goes back to Bournemouth as an opposition player will challenge Figo as the most despised player ever to return.

Not a good legacy in any stretch of the imagination.

6 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

There was a handful of games after the break and everyone is wetting the bed. I’ll wager he’ll be at the club a lot longer than Pogba. 

He might be but in what capacity? He’s 24 this year and yet to reach 60 league games. United made it to the semi finals of the FA cup and Europa league and he barely played I think, hardly the sign of a highly thought of player. 

7 hours ago, aaid said:

Lot of pish around which team people support from supporters of “smaller” clubs when it comes to people who support the “bigger” or more successful clubs.  The automatic assumption - as this post demonstrates - is that automatically down to being some sort of glory hunter.  Add in the particular dimension of Scottish football and if you support either side of the OF then you are automatically a sectarian bigoted glory hunter. 

The reality is that people support their team for a lot of different reasons, it could be they like the colour of the strip or a particular player was a favourite when they were at the impressionable age where they make that decision.  The two most common reasons will be either their local team or the team their father supported.  In a lot of cases those will be the same team but where families have moved around then you could end up supporting a team from the other end of the country.  

One thing I’ve noticed in England that is very different from Scotland is that lots of people - particularly who live in parts of the country where there is no automatic “major” cub to support will tend to have a “big team” and a “wee team”.   The wee team would most likely be their local team and the one which they will watch live most often and the big team they watch on TV.  

It took me ages to get my head around it but for them there’s no contradiction whatsoever. 

This isn’t a new phenomenon, if I think through my group of mates, it’s peopel in their 40s and 50s and they pretty much all fall into this category and have “big teams”, that include the usual suspects of Liverpool, Man Utd Andy the big London clubs but also clubs like Everton, Man City - and this guy would actually go and watch them when they were in League 1 - and bizarrely a disproportionate number of Villa fans. 

People from Lanarkshire, Ayrshire, Edinburgh, Fife, the Highlands or anywhere else that isnae within Glasgow but supports the arsecheeks, is either a bigot, a glory hunter or a total fanny 

7 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

People from Lanarkshire, Ayrshire, Edinburgh, Fife, the Highlands or anywhere else that isnae within Glasgow but supports the arsecheeks, is either a bigot, a glory hunter or a total fanny 

Another one that proves my point. 

Just now, 0Neils40yarder said:

In terms of club and stature, it's on a different planet

Dream on. 

Bournemouth are no great shakes but Newcastle are a total basket case. 

Any player that goes there if he’s got other options needs his head read. 

1 minute ago, aaid said:

Dream on. 

Bournemouth are no great shakes but Newcastle are a total basket case. 

Any player that goes there if he’s got other options needs his head read. 

In terms of club size, there are only a few bigger than Newcastle in the uk...he is signing for a massive club, having left a club that are on a par with dundee United in terms of stature 

1 minute ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

You dont have a point

The one about people talking pish about the reasons why people support so called “bigger teams” and also the one about people assuming if you support either of the old firm your some sort of bigot - so that’s actually two points you’ve proved. 

I could say that people who support their local “wee” team are all parochial, small minded and sanctimonious losers. 

There are some that are undoubtably like that but that would be as inaccurate as your description of OF fans from outwith Glasgow.  

17 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Or maybe their dad supported Rangers/Celtic and moved to one of these backwaters and brought their son up to support their team?

What a narrow minded opinion. 

14 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Most people outwith of Glasgow decide who their club is when they are 10 years old

What do you expect when the press only covers two teams?

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

The one about people talking pish about the reasons why people support so called “bigger teams” and also the one about people assuming if you support either of the old firm your some sort of bigot - so that’s actually two points you’ve proved. 

I could say that people who support their local “wee” team are all parochial, small minded and sanctimonious losers. 

There are some that are undoubtably like that but that would be as inaccurate as your description of OF fans from outwith Glasgow.  

I gave four options for a person that supports an arsecheek...

A) they are a weegie

B)they are a bigot

C)they are a gloryhunter

D)they are a fanny

12 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

In terms of club size, there are only a few bigger than Newcastle in the uk...he is signing for a massive club, having left a club that are on a par with dundee United in terms of stature 

I could name a dozen clubs off the top of my head that are bigger than Newcastle on the UK and if I thought about it more deeply I could probably get to over 20. 

A big stadium does not a massive club make. 

Massive clubs tend to actually win things or at least get to finals, finish high enough up the league to qualify for Europe, don’t get relegated and yo-yo through the divisions.  

I’m old enough to remember when those passionate Geordies couldn’t get much more than 12000 or so into St James Park when Ardiles was manager.  

4 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I gave four options for a person that supports an arsecheek...

A) they are a weegie

B)they are a bigot

C)they are a gloryhunter

D)they are a fanny

You on the other hand are doing a great job of justifying my description of “wee-team” fans, in your case at least. 

14 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Yes, that's why there are so many huns in larkhall...all their da's came fae glesga...for fuck sake

Did I say everyone? No, you did. I dare say a lot of Rangers and Celtic fans from outside Glasgow fall into your categories but lots will also fall into the one I suggested. 

Tens of thousands of people have left Glasgow for the new towns of Cumbernauld, East Kilbride and Irvine as well as many other areas of Scotland over the last 50/60 years. A good percentage of them would’ve passed their team on to their kids and a lot of this people will not be glory hunters, bigots or fannies. 

Edited by Texas Pete

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

I could name a dozen clubs off the top of my head that are bigger than Newcastle on the UK and if I thought about it more deeply I could probably get to over 20. 

A big stadium does not a massive club make. 

Massive clubs tend to actually win things or at least get to finals, finish high enough up the league to qualify for Europe, don’t get relegated and yo-yo through the divisions.  

I’m old enough to remember when those passionate Geordies couldn’t get much more than 12000 or so into St James Park when Ardiles was manager.  

12000 at their lowest ebb...bournemouths stadium cannae even haud that...

...I'm actually amazed that this is a discussion point, Newcastle and Bournemouth are nowhere close to being similar sized clubs 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Did I say everyone? No, you did. I dare say a lot of Rangers and Celtic fans from outside Glasgow fall into your categories but lots will also fall into the one I suggested. 

Tens of thousands of people have left Glasgow for the new towns of Glasgow, East Kilbride and Irvine as well as many other areas of Scotland over the last 50/60 years. A good percentage of them would’ve passed their team on to their kids and a lot of this people will not be glory hunters, bigots or fannies. 

I'd be very surprised...I've not met any that fall out of my four categories...plenty that would deny it right enough 

36 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

12000 at their lowest ebb...bournemouths stadium cannae even haud that...

...I'm actually amazed that this is a discussion point, Newcastle and Bournemouth are nowhere close to being similar sized clubs 

I’m not disputing that. However what I am disputing is two things.  Firstly that Newcastle is a “massive club”, they’re not. 

Secondly, when Fraser turned down a contract extension at Bournemouth last summer, Newcastle has finished the previous season one place higher than Bournemouth on goal difference. 

Had he signed for Newcastle then it wouldn’t have been considered a great move.  

He’s having to sign for Newcastle purely because he has no better options and the hoped for big move probably disappeared- if it were ever on the cards - because of his poor form last season, which is pretty much all down to him and his attitude. 

In footballing terms alone, it’s no better a step up from the level he was at at Bournemouth.  Maybe has he been a bit more professional - even if Bournemouth has still been relegated - he’d have gotten a better move.