Scottish player transfers - Page 99 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

People just want to dictate to others what they aren't allowed to wear, how they aren't allowed to dress, what they aren't allowed to watch, what they can't drink, who they're allowed to support, etc.

It's like this cultural appropriation nonsense. The Nazis are alive and dictating.

It's a free world. No one has the right to tell anyone how to live their life.

(Joining this conversation late, but I'll probably get accused of turning this thread off topic)

On topic: Fraser agrees terms with Newcastle.

Edited by Taylor1996

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Lot of pish around which team people support from supporters of “smaller” clubs when it comes to people who support the “bigger” or more successful clubs.  The automatic assumption - as this post demonstrates - is that automatically down to being some sort of glory hunter.  Add in the particular dimension of Scottish football and if you support either side of the OF then you are automatically a sectarian bigoted glory hunter. 

The reality is that people support their team for a lot of different reasons, it could be they like the colour of the strip or a particular player was a favourite when they were at the impressionable age where they make that decision.  The two most common reasons will be either their local team or the team their father supported.  In a lot of cases those will be the same team but where families have moved around then you could end up supporting a team from the other end of the country.  

One thing I’ve noticed in England that is very different from Scotland is that lots of people - particularly who live in parts of the country where there is no automatic “major” cub to support will tend to have a “big team” and a “wee team”.   The wee team would most likely be their local team and the one which they will watch live most often and the big team they watch on TV.  

It took me ages to get my head around it but for them there’s no contradiction whatsoever. 

This isn’t a new phenomenon, if I think through my group of mates, it’s peopel in their 40s and 50s and they pretty much all fall into this category and have “big teams”, that include the usual suspects of Liverpool, Man Utd Andy the big London clubs but also clubs like Everton, Man City - and this guy would actually go and watch them when they were in League 1 - and bizarrely a disproportionate number of Villa fans. 

What can't be denied is there is a high % of those up here who support Celtic and Rangers based on some perverse sense of religious tribalism.

And that goes back generations, doesn't make it any less palatable that a bigot supports Celtic or Rangers just cos their bigoted parent did likewise.

14 minutes ago, aaid said:

Not sure that’s a massive step up from where Bournemouth were when he knocked back a new deal. 

The size of the clubs are night and day though.

Newcastle have massive potential (no laughing at the back). Bournemouth are only going one way  and it's probably back to league 1.

He was 100% right in a career sense to bail on them,

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It's not really different.

It is in my opinion. I am proud of being Scottish but don’t really care about where I was brought up or where I live now. Others will of course and that’s up to them.

How about this though? If you are brought up in Renfrew should you support St Mirren since they are your closest senior club even if you dislike Paisley? Or are you allowed to choose any club you like?

9 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

What can't be denied is there is a high % of those up here who support Celtic and Rangers based on some perverse sense of religious tribalism.

And that goes back generations, doesn't make it any less palatable that a bigot supports Celtic or Rangers just cos their bigoted parent did likewise.

My grandfather supported Rangers. He was born and brought up in Glasgow, he passed that on to my dad who passed it on to me.  

But hey, he was probably just a bigot. Which would be news to both his mother - my great-grandmother - and his wife - my grandmother - both of who were the daughters of Irish Catholic immigrants.  

So excuse me if I think you’re talking through your arse. 

7 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Newcastle have massive potential (no laughing at the back). Bournemouth are only going one way  and it's probably back to league 1.

Newcastle are a basket case of a club and have zero potential under Mike Ashley who looks like he’s going nowhere.

Even putting Ashley to one side, for all Newcastle’s massive potential, what have they actually done. The last trophy they won was 50 years ago and no longer exists.  

The only thing massive about Newcastle is their massive overinflated sense of their importance. 

Point I’m making is that when he turned down the new contract at Bournemouth a year ago, he was setting his sights higher. 

13 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye Newcastle are a much bigger club. It’s probably not where Fraser thought he’d be playing this season though when Arsenal were allegedly in for him. 

Hopefully he settles in quickly and gets some match sharpness in his legs. 

He gets a bad rap on here but he is a very good player when he’s on form and we could use him next month. 

29 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It is in my opinion. I am proud of being Scottish but don’t really care about where I was brought up or where I live now. Others will of course and that’s up to them.

How about this though? If you are brought up in Renfrew should you support St Mirren since they are your closest senior club even if you dislike Paisley? Or are you allowed to choose any club you like?

If I grew up in Paisley I would like to think I'd support St Mirren, aye.

Just like I grew up in Ayrshire and support Killie.

A lot of folk I grew up with support Celtic, my granddad was in Lisbon in 67. I had zero interest in supporting Celtic.

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

Must have missed all those trophies Rangers have won in the last decade.

Somebody stitch my sides back together. Go on, call them Sevco, that always gets them going. 

I’ve no idea what’s more pathetic, that you’re coming out with this lame chat or that you actually think anyone gives a fuck about it. 

26 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Aye Newcastle are a much bigger club. It’s probably not where Fraser thought he’d be playing this season though when Arsenal were allegedly in for him. 

Hopefully he settles in quickly and gets some match sharpness in his legs. 

He gets a bad rap on here but he is a very good player when he’s on form and we could use him next month. 

Fingers crossed!

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Few media outlets saying Ryan Fraser has "agreed personal terms" with Newcastle.

Pretty good move.

Linked with Liverpool and Arsenal who maybe wouldn’t have played him much - Newcastle will be a top half team and he will definitely play so it’s a good move really.