Scottish player transfers - Page 98 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Mctominey needs to get a move IMO, he needs regular football this season

Man utd have just signed a highly rated dutch midfielder from ajax. 

McTominay is clearly highly rated by his manager. A club like Man Utd are never going to stop signing top players. Now is not the time to have McTominay looking for a move, let’s wait and see. Personally I think he’ll play more often than not and spend his whole career there. 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I'd love to see him fight for his place at Man U, but it does seem like he's slipping backwards down the pecking order a bit.

I wonder if Arsenal would be a good fit? They could always do with more people with some physicality and fight in them in the middle of the park.

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

McTominay is clearly highly rated by his manager. A club like Man Utd are never going to stop signing top players. Now is not the time to have McTominay looking for a move, let’s wait and see. Personally I think he’ll play more often than not and spend his whole career there. 

Mctominey hardly played after the break, the manager went with Matic and has now brought in another player in a similar position, I would say now is the perfect time to seek first time football. Even a loan move would suffice, this way he could show OGS what he is missing

34 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I'd love to see him fight for his place at Man U, but it does seem like he's slipping backwards down the pecking order a bit.

I wonder if Arsenal would be a good fit? They could always do with more people with some physicality and fight in them in the middle of the park.

I would love to see him push the dutch guy and matic down the pecking order but I don;t see it at the moment. 

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

Right wing.

Also a massive Motherwell fan, so anyone from the West Coast who don't support either of the arsecheeks gets a thumbs up from me.

Posted a pic of him in Nancy as a kid the other day for the UEFA Cup game.

What’s wrong with supporting Rangers or Celtic (I assume these are the “arse cheeks” you are referring to)?

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Can’t be that highly rated given his lack of playing time recently 

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

Do you not think it's refreshing that a kid supports his local club, instead of following a club from Glasgow based on religion/success like a lemming?

Scottish football might be in a hell of a better place if more did the same.

It really doesn’t bother me who he supports. 

I do agree in general that people should support their local team but I wouldn’t judge a person on which football club they support. 

22 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It really doesn’t bother me who he supports. 

I do agree in general that people should support their local team but I wouldn’t judge a person on which football club they support. 

Never judged him, in the same way I want Tierney to be a great success for us.

I just said he's a massive Motherwell fan so that get's a thumbs up from me.

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Never judged him, in the same way I want Tierney to be a great success for us.

I just said he's a massive Motherwell fan so that get's a thumbs up from me.

You were suggesting you wouldn’t give him a thumbs up if he supported Rangers or Celtic, which seems a bit odd to me but fair enough. 

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

He hasn’t been starting regularly since he came back from his knee injury and I can’t see this changing in the near future. 

It’s probably a bit soon for him to panic and and want to leave though. He probably wants to fight for his place which is a good sign. 

If he’s still warming the bench by Christmas or the end of the season at the latest he may well consider requesting a loan or transfer. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Do you not think it's refreshing that a kid supports his local club, instead of following a club from Glasgow based on religion/success like a lemming?

Scottish football might be in a hell of a better place if more did the same.

Totally and absolutely agree.

The same happens in England. I lived down there long enough to see the sweepuing trend changes - from Liverpool shirts being the in thing in Coventry in the 80s changing to United tops in the 90s. Really nauseating and brainless. Support a club for a reason other than because they win everything and they want/ache/crave to gloat every waking minute.

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The same happens in England. I lived down there long enough to see the sweepuing trend changes - from Liverpool shirts being the in thing in Coventry in the 80s changing to United tops in the 90s. Really nauseating and brainless. Support a club for a reason other than because they win everything and they want/ache/crave to gloat every waking minute.

Aye, it's bizarre.

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I said this to a friend the other day, he will be lucky to start 10 games this season. I think hes a decent player but not good enough for the top teams down there and he is going to find that out now that Man Utd have gone a bit daft in the trasfer market. But if i could buy Donny VDB for 45 mil or whatever I would as he is quality. That 5 year contract seems a bit daft now

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Lot of pish around which team people support from supporters of “smaller” clubs when it comes to people who support the “bigger” or more successful clubs.  The automatic assumption - as this post demonstrates - is that automatically down to being some sort of glory hunter.  Add in the particular dimension of Scottish football and if you support either side of the OF then you are automatically a sectarian bigoted glory hunter. 

The reality is that people support their team for a lot of different reasons, it could be they like the colour of the strip or a particular player was a favourite when they were at the impressionable age where they make that decision.  The two most common reasons will be either their local team or the team their father supported.  In a lot of cases those will be the same team but where families have moved around then you could end up supporting a team from the other end of the country.  

One thing I’ve noticed in England that is very different from Scotland is that lots of people - particularly who live in parts of the country where there is no automatic “major” cub to support will tend to have a “big team” and a “wee team”.   The wee team would most likely be their local team and the one which they will watch live most often and the big team they watch on TV.  

It took me ages to get my head around it but for them there’s no contradiction whatsoever. 

This isn’t a new phenomenon, if I think through my group of mates, it’s peopel in their 40s and 50s and they pretty much all fall into this category and have “big teams”, that include the usual suspects of Liverpool, Man Utd Andy the big London clubs but also clubs like Everton, Man City - and this guy would actually go and watch them when they were in League 1 - and bizarrely a disproportionate number of Villa fans. 

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

Lot of pish around which team people support from supporters of “smaller” clubs when it comes to people who support the “bigger” or more successful clubs.  The automatic assumption - as this post demonstrates - is that automatically down to being some sort of glory hunter.  Add in the particular dimension of Scottish football and if you support either side of the OF then you are automatically a sectarian bigoted glory hunter. 

The reality is that people support their team for a lot of different reasons, it could be they like the colour of the strip or a particular player was a favourite when they were at the impressionable age where they make that decision.  The two most common reasons will be either their local team or the team their father supported.  In a lot of cases those will be the same team but where families have moved around then you could end up supporting a team from the other end of the country.  

One thing I’ve noticed in England that is very different from Scotland is that lots of people - particularly who live in parts of the country where there is no automatic “major” cub to support will tend to have a “big team” and a “wee team”.   The wee team would most likely be their local team and the one which they will watch live most often and the big team they watch on TV.  

It took me ages to get my head around it but for them there’s no contradiction whatsoever. 

This isn’t a new phenomenon, if I think through my group of mates, it’s peopel in their 40s and 50s and they pretty much all fall into this category and have “big teams”, that include the usual suspects of Liverpool, Man Utd Andy the big London clubs but also clubs like Everton, Man City - and this guy would actually go and watch them when they were in League 1 - and bizarrely a disproportionate number of Villa fans. 

Sure you will have supporters of Celtic and Rangers who have legitimate reasons to support them such as they were brought up by dads, grandads as supporters of that club. I am not denying that. Equally though there are a real decent amount of glory hunters. I have spoken to fans of those clubs who live outwith Glasgow and when you ask them why they support them instead of their local club the answer is because their local club is crap. Smaller clubs (in Scotland) obviously do not have the glory hunters.

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sure you will have supporters of Celtic and Rangers who have legitimate reasons to support them such as they were brought up by dads, grandads as supporters of that club. I am not denying that. Equally though there are a real decent amount of glory hunters. I have spoken to fans of those clubs who live outwith Glasgow and when you ask them why they support them instead of their local club the answer is because their local club is crap. Smaller clubs (in Scotland) obviously do not have the glory hunters.

It is a sad state of affairs but I can kind of understand people from Coatbridge or Cumbernauld etc. choosing to support Rangers or Celtic over Albion Rovers or Clyde.

A lot of people don’t want to support a small, lower league team that will never win a major trophy (again in Clyde’s case) or compete in Europe and choose to support a bigger club that is within easy travelling distance. Sad but true.

I’m not saying this is a good thing at all but I do think being limited in which team you support by geography is a bit arbitrary and unrealistic to a certain degree. 

I used to live in Texas but I’m not a Texas Rangers fan, I support the Cleveland Indians. Should I not be allowed to do that because I’m not from Cleveland?

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It is a sad state of affairs but I can kind of understand people from Coatbridge or Cumbernauld etc. choosing to support Rangers or Celtic over Albion Rovers or Clyde.

A lot of people don’t want to support a small, lower league team that will never win a major trophy (again in Clyde’s case) or compete in Europe and choose to support a bigger club that is within easy travelling distance. Sad but true.

I’m not saying this is a good thing at all but I do think being limited in which team you support by geography is a bit arbitrary and unrealistic to a certain degree. 

I used to live in Texas but I’m not a Texas Rangers fan, I support the Cleveland Indians. Should I not be allowed to do that because I’m not from Cleveland?

Okay but look at it another way then. Why support Scotland just because you were born here? Why not just jump on the England bandwagon to go to a World Cup?

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Okay but look at it another way then. Why support Scotland just because you were born here? Why not just jump on the England bandwagon to go to a World Cup?

That’s a bit different in my opinion as a national team is specifically formed to represent a country and most people from that country are drawn to support it. 

Was Albion Rovers set up to represent Coatbridge? Are people proud of coming from Cumbernauld?

I do see your point but at the same time it’s a wee bit flawed considering the number of doughballs within the Rangers support that do support England. Not to mention the Celtic fans that support Ireland. 

53 minutes ago, aaid said:

I love this idea of supporting more than one team. Definitely true of a lot of people I know down here, especially myself! I grew up a massive Rangers fan. Not because of any religious reasons. They were my local club, all my friends supported them, and so did a lot of my family. It was the 90s and my hero way Super Ally (saw him score the winner against Greece at the first ever football match I went to. Total magic.). Since then I have drifted away from Rangers. I've been to more Jags matches now, for my sins, and I would say I probably support any EPL club with a Scottish player as much as I support any club (Arsenal all my local team now. I maybe should have moved to a different part of the city...). There's something to be said for having the one big team you love (for me it's Scotland), but I think also supporting smaller teams is a great thing to do.