Scottish player transfers - Page 92 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

Dykes picking Scotland is certainly a positive imo. We are lacking a striker who can hold it up well for our attacking midfielders in exactly the way Steven Fletcher used to do - the away 4-0 win in Albania being a recent example. Griffiths isn’t playing for Celtic, has injury and mental health challenges and hasn’t played for Scotland since we beat Albania at home in September 2018, so, sadly, isn’t a realistic option right now. He has only scored four goals in 19 caps, so he’s hardly been prolific.

Nisbet is untested at top-flight fitba let alone international level and Shankland is also a prospect who‘s untested at top-flight level. 

McBurnie is currently our first-pick striker after a good season with Sheffield Utd, but plays in a side with two up front and the jury is out as to how effective he can operate as a lone striker. Many on here either don’t rate or like him, but that’s a different matter. He is, unquestionably, playing at the highest level of all our strikers.

Naismith has been great for Scotland and always has a terrific attitude, he’s good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play, he’s horrible to play against, clever in his movement and passing. BUT he is at the veteran stage of his career (turns 34 next month) and, if he stays at Hearts, will be playing at a poor level which doesn’t even start back playing until October.

Dykes gives us another option in an area we desperately need viable options. He’s physical, holds the ball up well and is a proven goal scorer at top-flight level: in 28 Premiership games for Livi, he scored 11 goals and had five assists. I think he can go on and have a good Scotland career and could end up being an important player for us. Assuming the reports are true regarding his allegiance to Scotland, I think Clarke will pick him for his next squad and will give him his debut. And I’ll be happy about that.

12 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

He took his bloody time about making his mind up (and I know that I've said a few times I was convinced he'd pick Australia) but I guess it's good to have another striker to pick from. He will undoubtedly get caps if he has declared for us.

These upcoming games definitely would tie him down to us wouldn't they ?

I wouldn't discount it just yet. The Record and the Sun love a 'X Snubs Scots' type headline, especially before a big game. They could just be setting us up for a fall. 

Personally, I'll be waiting until I see his name listed in the squad before I roll out the red carpet (so to speak!).

14 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Griffiths isnt ahead of anyone at the moment and naismith is getting on. Shankland? Really? Dykes has a better record at a higher level thank shankdland right now.

Yes it's about time that Naismith and Dykes ceased to have a mention on here: Naismith is too old and Griffiths still has health issues and seems  a long way away from the Celtic team. Also not getting any younger.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

I wouldn't discount it just yet. The Record and the Sun love a 'X Snubs Scots' type headline, especially before a big game. They could just be setting us up for a fall. 

Personally, I'll be waiting until I see his name listed in the squad before I roll out the red carpet (so to speak!).

Agree, but also when you have Mark Warburton live on Sky Sports News calling him "Scotland's Number 9 striker", you must think that something has been agreed (cynic in me thinks its most likely that there is a international clause in his QPR deal, and basically looking to trigger it at first chance, which just so happen could be in two weeks time)

Warburton was probably bigging him up to QPR fans by introducing him as an international. It’s also in his and QPR’s best interests he plays for Scotland as they wouldn’t want him regularly travelling to the other side of the world for qualifiers, and, given the Aussies are in the easiest qualifying region, pretty much always playing deep into Asian Cup knockout stages and also playing in WC finals.

8 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I thought you meant griffiths would be first pick for celtic. However he was clearly not in the right mindset last year and jury is out again this year. Id be pleasantly surprised if he plays fot scotland again.

Shankland has scored a total of 0 goals in the SPL in fact Nisbet has scored more albeit each of those 3 were in one game. Nisbet and shankland have a lot to prove before they are on a par with dykes. Dykes scored over an entire season for livingston in the SPL. 

Naismith proved his worth at a high level when he was still capable of playing at a high level, everton was years ago now as was his stint ag rangers. He isnt that good anymore and is now playing at a poor level. He is also injured alot. 

Mcburnie is the only striker we have playing at a reasonable level. 

The future is hopefully nisbet and shankland but theyve not proved anything yet.

Dykes has scored only 11 goals in the Scottish top flight. Shankland has yet to really play top flight(in recent years) and Kevin Nisbet has already looked like he can score in the spl. If you also look at dykes record at qos it's overall a very poor goalscoring record. 

I think Nisbet and shankland are probably on a par in terms of selection due to the sheer number of goals they have scored albeit at a lower level. 

Naismith showed in his recent Scotland games that he can play well and is ahead of dykes imo. He's proved himself at a level dykes won't ever reach.

To be honest I can understand your point but it just highlights how poor our striking options are that we are turning to someone like dykes for our first team. 

If Griffiths, mcburnie and naismith are all fit and available then I don't see him getting alot of gametime for us but it's probably clear that Griffiths won't be fit and naismith is getting too old so I guess he probably will get some starts. Not exactly great but it's sadly what we have to work with. 

I would actually prefer and try and persuade fletcher to come out of retirement. 

Edited by mccaughey85

Just now, ErsatzThistle said:

Or maybe you could wind your neck in and spare us the pompous, high and mighty lectures ?

The whole pretendy sportswriter thing you do is a bit sad.

Its a Scottish national team forum if you don't want ppl writing and discussing the subject then your in the wrong place. 

You really have it in for me, I pissed you off over suggesting Che Adams would walk into our squad. Now you seem to have a major problem with me that you won't let go. 

I suggest you calm down and read something that interests you outwith this board. 

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Its a Scottish national team forum if you don't want ppl writing and discussing the subject then your in the wrong place. 

You really have it in for me, I pissed you off over suggesting Che Adams would walk into our squad. Now you seem to have a major problem with me that you won't let go. 

I suggest you calm down and read something that interests you outwith this board. 

Oh get over yourself.

Your not a writer so stop pretending to be one.

Just now, ErsatzThistle said:

Oh get over yourself.

Your not a writer so stop pretending to be one.

I just like to discuss things in detail. Wheres the harm in that. I don't think I am a writer, I have pulled up on my spelling and punctuation many times in here so writing is not my talent. 

I don't see your problem, if you don't like long posts then don't read them. There's plenty of stuff on here that I ain't interested in but I just skim past it. 

31 minutes ago, DOUBLE A said:

Reports that David Marshall is moving to Derby 

I just looked them up, Derby have 4 keepers on the books, with one out on loan until next summer.  A lateral move and for the money, go for it but if he isn't first choice then his Scotland days are done. 

My mistake, seems Wigan were relegated. 

Edited by romanticscot

16 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Yeah probably, mid table team at best though 

But does that matter?

I mean look at Andy Robertson - at the top of the pile and playing regularly for Liverpool but for us his form is not so stellar if we are being honest. Probably the biggest success for us in the last decade or two had been Faddy who only ever made it to Everton - a mid-table EPL team but more importantly very important to Scotland.

I just think there is an over-fixation with a player playing at top clubs as it does not follow they will do the business for Scotland because of it. Look at Charlie Adam at Liverpool but a flop for us. There is also the danger that they go to a big club and end up warming the bench due to the vast amount of big money overseas imports which again does no good to the Scottish national team.

11 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

But does that matter?

I mean look at Andy Robertson - at the top of the pile and playing regularly for Liverpool but for us his form is not so stellar if we are being honest. Probably the biggest success for us in the last decade or two had been Faddy who only ever made it to Everton - a mid-table EPL team but more importantly very important to Scotland.

I just think there is an over-fixation with a player playing at top clubs as it does not follow they will do the business for Scotland because of it. Look at Charlie Adam at Liverpool but a flop for us. There is also the danger that they go to a big club and end up warming the bench due to the vast amount of big money overseas imports which again does no good to the Scottish national team.

For us definitely not.