Scottish player transfers - Page 90 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

Changing topics, who all are free agents right now?

Ryan Fraser

Steven Fletcher

Jordan Rhodes?

I would very much like to see Steven Fletcher back in the squad, we need him at least to the end of the calendar year.  

2 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Ryan Fraser

Steven Fletcher

Jordan Rhodes?

I would very much like to see Steven Fletcher back in the squad, we need him at least to the end of the calendar year.  

There's been nothing official said about it mind, but there was a lot of talk Fletcher told Clarke a year ago that he was through with international football

8 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Its easy to say that now, everybody had high hopes for these guys including me. Last 15 or more years has shown me that getting signed up at 17/18 for a top club means very little. I am often more excited when I see a young 18/19 doing well in the spl or English championship because I know that they have already made the jump to meaningful football. For example I hold out more hope for someone like Porteous or mcintyre at CB than morrison who signed for Bayern.

Your telling me bayern or even Aston villa are going to release a first team player to make room for Hickey. If Hickey goes to even Aston villa he will be straight to the youth set up. 

Its a good sign that big clubs are interested in hickey but it's not a guaranteed ticket to a career at the top. 

A lot of misinterpretation here! Release a youth player, not a first team player. I’m not saying going to a big league club is a guarantee of anything but in the case of Hickey this time next year he’d be a better player with a year at Bayern youths under his belt than a season in the Championship given he already has first team experience. He would then be more able to play top team football somewhere (including at Hearts). Have you seen Morrison play btw?

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Ryan Fraser

Steven Fletcher

Jordan Rhodes?

Yes, Fletcher would still get a game for us if fully fit. Could see us through the play-offs. 

3 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Ryan Fraser

Steven Fletcher

Jordan Rhodes?

Fraser looks set to sign for Everton once the transfer window opens (while he is free to sign just now, a lot of clubs are holding off with their signings for the moment, but murmars are Fraser to Everton has been agreed). 

Steven Fletcher, there was talk last week that he is looking to move back to the Glasgow area (Aberdeen were linked, but we could not afford his wages) so if that is the case, I suspect he will end up at Celtic.

Rhodes was benched for the last few Shef Wed games, but he was announced in their squad numbers yesterday, so he is still there.

Being honest on the last two, Rhodes is nowhere near the player of 10 years ago, and I doubt we will see him again..... and Fletcher, the jury is still out (while nothing official has ever been said, I have my doubts he will ever be back again in a Scotland shirt).

Id be surprised and disapointed if Fraser ended up at Palace. Despite a questionable season last year he is still in the top 5 overall assists for the last 2 seasons.

I dont think he will get a move to a top club but if he holds off, I can easily see him at an Everton or Wolves. He is in a strong position as a free agent with proven EPL pedigree.

14 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Id be surprised and disapointed if Fraser ended up at Palace. Despite a questionable season last year he is still in the top 5 overall assists for the last 2 seasons.

I dont think he will get a move to a top club but if he holds off, I can easily see him at an Everton or Wolves. He is in a strong position as a free agent with proven EPL pedigree.

I think he admitted that his head was turned with all the talk of moves to Arsenal and Liverpool last summer, and probably did not try as hard this season as he should have (I do not think he was the only player at Bournemouth with this attitude, as I think a number of players knew they had rode their luck and this was probably going to be the season they struggled).

A lot of talk Palace are offering him £50k a week.

While I think he would be a good fit there, but is there not some stat going around that they only went one game last season where they won a game by more than 1 goal, and had the lowest goals for record of any team in the EPL of last season?

Probably prefer it if he went to Everton, but if he was going to get that BIG move, its time was probably last season.

Edited by wanderer

8 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

A lot of misinterpretation here! Release a youth player, not a first team player. I’m not saying going to a big league club is a guarantee of anything but in the case of Hickey this time next year he’d be a better player with a year at Bayern youths under his belt than a season in the Championship given he already has first team experience. He would then be more able to play top team football somewhere (including at Hearts). Have you seen Morrison play btw?

Ok fair enough I thought you meant first team. Yeh tbh I think a move to bayern would be positive I just wanted to point out that it's not necessarily the golden ticket that some seem to think it is. Seen many young players over the last 20 years fail at big clubs but there is a bit more hope what with mctominay and gilmour making the grade and Bayern have a good record of producing young players I think. 

Nah I haven't seen morrison play but I have seen enough youth football and as I said above I have seen plenty of young scottish players fail at big clubs that I know not to get excited by morrison being at bayern. Once I see him bossing a professional game in even the likes of the second tier of German football then I will get excited. Until then he's pretty much untested at any meaningful level. 

As I said I am more excited by the likes of Porteous as even though its not a great standard in the spl it's still better imo than any youth football and its meaningful matches under proper pressure to win by fans and management. 

15 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Gilmour burst onto the scene at Chelsea and his displays have shown more in those handful of appearences than 5 seasons in the SPFL. 

I agree though, moving to a big club is nothing to get our hopes up over but its a start. Its like getting accepted into a top University. It doesnt mean you will end up with a top degree but increases your chances over a poorer establishment.

The chances are that if you are 21 and playing first team football for Hibs / Hearts etc that the best you can realistically hope for is mid table EPL. Robertson being the exception in the past 20 years. Morrison most likely wont make it at Bayern but 1 thing is for sure. If he does make it then he will be a world class defender who will be a million times better than his peers at Scotland youth level who got 1st team football in the Scottish Championship or for teams like Ross County.

Id rather 100 of our promising kids went to top clubs and 95% of them completely failed as that would mean we would have 5 players who were real quality. Its that quality that gets you to tournaments rather than finishing 3rd all the time.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. Tbf I do agree with some of what you say and I can understand your reasoning but I am not going to get real excited about any move Hickey makes to a big club. 

Whatever happens I hope the guy makes it big. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Ok fair enough I thought you meant first team. Yeh tbh I think a move to bayern would be positive I just wanted to point out that it's not necessarily the golden ticket that some seem to think it is. Seen many young players over the last 20 years fail at big clubs but there is a bit more hope what with mctominay and gilmour making the grade and Bayern have a good record of producing young players I think. 

Nah I haven't seen morrison play but I have seen enough youth football and as I said above I have seen plenty of young scottish players fail at big clubs that I know not to get excited by morrison being at bayern. Once I see him bossing a professional game in even the likes of the second tier of German football then I will get excited. Until then he's pretty much untested at any meaningful level. 

As I said I am more excited by the likes of Porteous as even though its not a great standard in the spl it's still better imo than any youth football and its meaningful matches under proper pressure to win by fans and management. 

There are no guarantees - with the exception of Morrison! Best young centre half I’ve ever seen for us by a distance. Anyway, enough of my hyperbole, time will tell. 

23 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Thats hard to tell, Gary mackay Steven left liverpool after two years in their youth set up and couldn't get a contract, pretty sure he was even working in a hotel bar until he was given a chance by Dundee United. After he left liverpool he trained with Fulham and made a few appearances with Airdrie. It was 2 years after Liverpool that his career really started to take off and it was experience at Dundee United that developed his game imo. I am not saying he didn't develop at Liverpool or it wasn't beneficial but its not the ticket to top level football that ppl think it is. 

Another example is Ruben sammut, guy spent years in the Chelsea youth system and captained the reserve side. He left on loan at 21 to Falkirk and only made 10 appearances in the Scottish Championship. He went to Sunderland where last season he never played a first team game. 

Harvey St clair spent 12 years in Chelseas youth set up but could hardly get a game at killie, he made 3 appearances and now he plays at venezia in serie b where he's made 14 appearances in 2 seasons. 

Those are just three examples, there are worse cases like Steven watt at Chelsea, Donald love at man utd and Robbie foy at Liverpool.

I agree that Scottish Championship isnt much of a great place for development but there has been some successes who have played that level recently. Guys like Mcginn, snodgrass for example. 

Ideally I would rather Hickey continued to play spl football or a similar level but hearts got relegated and if he doesn't get a move to another club where he will play football then it wouldn't be the worst option for him to stick with hearts and help them win promotion, then he could have another season in the spl with hearts before moving on. 

If a lower level championship team was to buy him and play him then that would be a good option imo. 

Gary Mackay Steven couldn't get a contract with Liverpool, there's a pretty obvious reason for that. He didn't show the ability to play for Liverpool so they let him go. He then found his level a couple of Scotland caps and a bit part player for Celtic but never good enough for a top team.

Anthony Ralston is probably an example of your suggested path. Show's promise as a young player plays a couple of games he is not ready for then go's out on loan to teams with very limited training facilities and uninspiring coaches.

Pretty sure he would have done better going to a decent academy and playing against players of nearer his own age, strength, ability, experience level etc  

Might even have become a better right back than Phil Bardsley but then Bardsley did have the advantage of joining Man Utd as an eight year old. Coaches there on merit not just availability and facilities designed to hold more than a few traffic cones and a medicine ball

It's a lot easier to name failures at the top clubs than players who might have done better.

11 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Having three Scots young prospects at Bayern Munich sounds pretty good. 

Hope Hickey & Hepburn both join them for the development alone even if they don’t become first teamers there. 

The most encouraging aspect to having players signed/linked to a club like Bayern is their affinity to sports science and statistics. There is no way Bayern sent a scout to watch Hickey play against a random SPFL team and decided he has the right stuff. They'll have analysed all his attributes, probably for months, possibly years. 

So, maybe Hickey, Morrison and Hepburn aren't ready to be first team regulars yet, but Bayern clearly believe they have the correct characteristics to mould into top class players. For Hickey, he is quite low down the pecking order for Scottish international left backs, so I think he should be patient with his development and maximise his chances of getting to that level. Bayern will provide that far better than Hearts can.

On 8/6/2020 at 12:02 PM, Tartan blood said:

The most encouraging aspect to having players signed/linked to a club like Bayern is their affinity to sports science and statistics. There is no way Bayern sent a scout to watch Hickey play against a random SPFL team and decided he has the right stuff. They'll have analysed all his attributes, probably for months, possibly years. 

So, maybe Hickey, Morrison and Hepburn aren't ready to be first team regulars yet, but Bayern clearly believe they have the correct characteristics to mould into top class players. For Hickey, he is quite low down the pecking order for Scottish international left backs, so I think he should be patient with his development and maximise his chances of getting to that level. Bayern will provide that far better than Hearts can.

Hickey can play right back as he’s genuinely two footed. He just plays  left back at Hearts because Smith is on the  right. Levein says he’s more likely to be a DM and I agree. 

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Hickey can play right back as he’s genuinely two footed. He just plays  left back at Hearts because Smith is on the  right. Levein says he’s more likely to be a DM and I agree. 

Well if that's the case, you'd imagine Bayern would identify that and start honing his talent in the right position. 

Although we midfield is our strongest position, we don't have that many options at DM. Fingers crossed he turns into a quality RB instead.

On 5 August 2020 at 1:48 PM, wanderer said:

I think he admitted that his head was turned with all the talk of moves to Arsenal and Liverpool last summer, and probably did not try as hard this season as he should have (I do not think he was the only player at Bournemouth with this attitude, as I think a number of players knew they had rode their luck and this was probably going to be the season they struggled).

A lot of talk Palace are offering him £50k a week.

While I think he would be a good fit there, but is there not some stat going around that they only went one game last season where they won a game by more than 1 goal, and had the lowest goals for record of any team in the EPL of last season?

Probably prefer it if he went to Everton, but if he was going to get that BIG move, its time was probably last season.

He apparently turned down double that to renew his deal at Bournemouth so he'll no doubt be looking for something north of that.

Everton, surprisingly, for a club of their size and stature are actually big payers in the EPL. 

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He's got some agent as he's utter pish.

Cercle Brugge were 13th out of 16 in the Belgian top league last season. It probably is his level if that’s about mid Scottish Premiership standard. 

And mid table Scottish Premiership centre backs are in contention for Scotland call ups. 

But yeah, he might not even get a game for them. Still only 23 mind. 

33 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Cercle Brugge were 13th out of 16 in the Belgian top league last season. It probably is his level if that’s about mid Scottish Premiership standard. 

And mid table Scottish Premiership centre backs are in contention for Scotland call ups. 

But yeah, he might not even get a game for them. Still only 23 mind. 

He might prove me wrong but I think he'll be playing lower league Scottish football in a couple of years time.