Scottish player transfers - Page 87 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

Guest ElChris04
3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

This thread is for Scotland players.

Dykes is officially an Australian and it's likely he'll stay that way.

He won't declare for us.

In the grand scheme of things 

Do we really need him? Had enough of players buying time with us instead of being fully committed. 

5 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

This thread is for Scotland players.

Dykes is officially an Australian and it's likely he'll stay that way.

He won't declare for us.

He's not decided that yet though. May well choose Australia but we don't know so until then it seems fair to discuss him.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Needing eight or nine months to decide what country to play for is bloody ridiculous.

I used to think similar but Why? 

I used to think the same. He was brought up playing for australian school boys but he may.also feel alliegance to scotland because of his parents. 

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I used to think similar but Why? 

I used to think the same. He was brought up playing for australian school boys but he may.also feel alliegance to scotland because of his parents. 

Late last year when a few on here got all excited about Dykes eligibility they conveniently ignored this wee interview he gave to the Australian press at the same time.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/my-heart-lies-with-australia-dykes-responds-to-reports-he-favours-scotland

Livingston’s Gold Coast-born and bred striker has Scottish parents and, after five goals in 15 games in all competitions this season, is on the radar of both nations.

A report this week in the Scottish Sun claimed the 24-year-old had closed the door on Australia and instead committed himself to Scotland.

But Dykes told The World Game he is still open to playing for either country, with Australia his clear preference.

“If a choice (between the two) is ever put before me then it would be Australia I’d go for; that’s really where my heart lies,” Dykes said.

“I was born there and would obviously favour Australia if there were offers on the table from both.

“But if (only) Scotland wanted me of course I’d be very interested in trying to do a job for them.

“I’m not trying to cut off either one at this stage. Scotland is a great country also and perhaps there might be an option there in the future.

“But neither one is there right now and I need to keep working away trying to improve my game to one day hopefully get noticed.”

Steve Clarke-led Scotland are still in with a shout of qualifying for UEFA Euro 2020. Victory in a one-off play-off with Israel on March 26 will set up a do-or-die trip to Norway or Serbia five days later.

Australia, meanwhile, are on course to reach the final phase of World Cup qualifying for Qatar 2022 after four successive wins.

Fighting his way back to form and fitness in the Scottish Premiership after a niggling ankle ligament injury, Dykes said that if his performances weren’t up to scratch then there wouldn’t be any future decisions to make on his international allegiance.

“At this point, it’s vital for me to focus on my club football and do well there,” he said.

“I need to be playing well each week and then maybe international (football) might follow on from that.

“There’s no decision to make at the moment but there are no offers yet from Australia or Scotland.

“But of course I’d like to play international football one day.”

I wouldn't bother chasing a player who said something like that.

10 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Late last year when a few on here got all excited about Dykes eligibility they conveniently ignored this wee interview he gave to the Australian press at the same time.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/my-heart-lies-with-australia-dykes-responds-to-reports-he-favours-scotland

I wouldn't bother chasing a player who said something like that.

What if he changed his mind?

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I cheer on every blessed fecker who pulls on a Scotland shirt and plays for us, even if I don't like or approve of them. That includes once wildly celebrating a Lee McCulloch goal. :ok:

If Dykes plays for us I'll get right behind him (and take the resultant TAMB slagging on the chin) but I fully expect him to play for Australia.

According to an interview with the Aussie manager, Graham Arnold, just three or for months ago, Dykes told Arnold's assistant that he could count him in for Australia's round of (now cancelled) friendly matches later this year.

I hae ma doubts about Dykes.

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I cheer on every blessed fecker who pulls on a Scotland shirt and plays for us, even if I don't like or approve of them. That includes once wildly celebrating a Lee McCulloch goal. :ok:

If Dykes plays for us I'll get right behind him (and take the resultant TAMB slagging on the chin) but I fully expect him to play for Australia.

According to an interview with the Aussie manager, Graham Arnold, just three or for months ago, Dykes told Arnold's assistant that he could count him in for Australia's round of (now cancelled) friendly matches later this year.

I hae ma doubts about Dykes.

He was interviewed on Sportsound today and said he' d made his mind up and a subtle way he talked about it gave the impression it might be Scotland.

27 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I have said this before but when you sign pro forms you nominate your nationality within the rules.

I'm not sure I agree. I think people can feel legitimate allegiances to more than one country, especially in the modern world. Also, I think those allegiances can conceivably change after the age of 16/17 or whenever a kid signs their first contract. Added to that you have the obvious situation where they might feel like they would happily play for two countries (or more) where one is much more competitive than the other and may not come knocking. Then, despite their willingness to play for a country, and that country's desire for them, they can't play because of a box they ticked when they were 16 years old? I'm not a fan. 

Let people get chased by a country. Why not? Pride? Seems a bit like cutting off noses to spite faces sometimes. 

15 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I do not think he has changed his mind and is either using us to get a Australia cap (and given Australian will just about cap any player with even the most tedious links, shows how far off their horizon he is) or him and his agent using both of us to get him capped so he can put international player on his next contract renewal or when he starts talks over a possible move.

14 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

I'm not sure I agree. I think people can feel legitimate allegiances to more than one country, especially in the modern world. Also, I think those allegiances can conceivably change after the age of 16/17 or whenever a kid signs their first contract. Added to that you have the obvious situation where they might feel like they would happily play for two countries (or more) where one is much more competitive than the other and may not come knocking. Then, despite their willingness to play for a country, and that country's desire for them, they can't play because of a box they ticked when they were 16 years old? I'm not a fan. 

Let people get chased by a country. Why not? Pride? Seems a bit like cutting off noses to spite faces sometimes. 

the problem with that is you get players playing for their second choice once they work out they are not good enough for their first choice.  

I hear what you say about multiple nationalities in the modern world but most footballers know deep down...  if I’m watching Scotland at the World Cup at 8/12/16 years old dreaming it’s me playing there I’m not gonna want to play for say Ireland.

6 hours ago, Malcolm said:

the problem with that is you get players playing for their second choice once they work out they are not good enough for their first choice.  

I hear what you say about multiple nationalities in the modern world but most footballers know deep down...  if I’m watching Scotland at the World Cup at 8/12/16 years old dreaming it’s me playing there I’m not gonna want to play for say Ireland.

Absolutely, but then say you just don't quite make it to the level to make it into the Scotland squad, but another country you have ties to offers you a chance to represent them. I'm open to letting people go for that chance, but I can also understand people who think it's perhaps disingenuous. 

On 7/25/2020 at 6:02 PM, SkyBlueScot said:

He's not decided that yet though. May well choose Australia but we don't know so until then it seems fair to discuss him.

I'd beg to differ. He was born an Australian and until he declares he wants to represent Scotland he remains an Australian. Or else you open a whole can of worms and start chatting about dozens of footballers with Scottish parentage born elsewhere.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

I think its very difficult to state you need to declare when you sign a contract, what country you will play for.

Im Scottish, only qualify for Scotland, and was utter shite at football, so no choice for me. But there will be players who do genuinely feel attached to more than one country, and need time to decide whats best for them. I don't think this is the case for Dykes, he seems pretty Aussie to me, but thats only my take on it.

I'm sure he had said somewhere that as his life is in Scotland , his wife and kids are here,kids Scottish? Then it would be easier/ better to play for Scotland. 

If he signs for rangers I think he'll declare for Scotland if he goes south then it could be a different story. 

Can we get back to Che  now, 2 goals yesterday....😃

28 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Aaron Hickey being linked to loads of clubs....Bologna, Villa and....Bayern  Munich.

Edit: Already visited Bologna and going to Munich next week.

Very interested to see where he's at in September.

Just heard that. Bayern offering to make him their highest paid reserve and I can imagine some of their reserves are really well paid. The Record seemed to think Bologna are favourites but I don't know what they base that on. It'd be very interesting to see him link up with Morrison.

Taylor's just had his second assist. Just unbelievable 🙄

5 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Hickey could be our long term solution to the right  back position 

Could be, Nathan Patterson's also looked useful every time I've seen him but Hickey's obviously had more first team experience.   I imagine Hearts will be more than wiling to sell for a decent offer.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Could be, Nathan Patterson's also looked useful every time I've seen him but Hickey's obviously had more first team experience.   I imagine Hearts will be more than wiling to sell for a decent offer.

Hearts want £1.5 million for him, which Bologna are apparently prepared to pay. Aston Villa are supposedly interested too. 

I guess it's a case now of watch this space.

54 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Hearts want £1.5 million for him, which Bologna are apparently prepared to pay. Aston Villa are supposedly interested too. 

I guess it's a case now of watch this space.

Not sure what teams see in him. Hes pretty decent for a young player but he doesn't look like a future star imo. Not sure it's a good idea for him to move to an epl team as he will just be placed into their youth teams for a few years. Better getting game time with hearts then moving at the age of 21. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not sure what teams see in him. Hes pretty decent for a young player but he doesn't look like a future star imo. Not sure it's a good idea for him to move to an epl team as he will just be placed into their youth teams for a few years. Better getting game time with hearts then moving at the age of 21. 

Aye pretty much my thoughts. Not that I don’t think this is great to see a young Scottish player having all this interest from big clubs and on the cusp of a good move. I mean every time I’ve seen him you can see the potential but it’s not “wow, this kid is def the next big thing”. Makes you wonder what all these big clubs have at their disposal for scouting young players. Half thinking its all computer software generated that only they are privy to now.