Scottish player transfers - Page 77 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

12 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Let's be honest though if the boy is ever going to make it to the highest reaches of the game it will be through the best coaching he can possibly find and playing against and beside some of the best players he possibly can through his age groups. Unfortunately for any of our top young players to reach the very top of the game now they have to leave Scotland as in Global terms we are quite sub standard. He will learn far more at Man City youths than he will playing against youth teams in Scotland. It is a positive for me that all these massive clubs seem to be pin pointing Scotland as a breeding ground right now for top talent. How much is that down to the performance schools I wonder

It doesn't always work like that.

For every Darren Fletcher we've had come through at a big club there are countless players like Daniel Galbraith, Warren Cummings, Ryan Flynn, Islam Feruz and Michael Stewart.

Then there are plenty of players like James McArthur that have had really good careers in England after playing over 150 games in Scotland before moving south.

I'd suggest playing competitive football early on plays a much bigger part in a players development than being coached at a big club where very few players reach the first team.

I understand it is different for every player but we don't have many success stories of players moving south young and doing well.  I am hopeful that the Performance Schools are setting up these young players to make more of a success of their careers but we will have to see whether this crop of young teenagers are making the right move.  

3 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

.  Clubs need to look at ways to keep hold of their top talent a bit longer but I fear it is going to be more and more difficult as clubs are noticing the talent pool forming in Scotland.  

Can't really do much more - can't sign them on a pro deal any earlier and Smith knocked the offer back at Killie.

As soon as we could offer him a pro deal we did and got nowhere.

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

It doesn't always work like that.

For every Darren Fletcher we've had come through at a big club there are countless players like Daniel Galbraith, Warren Cummings, Ryan Flynn, Islam Feruz and Michael Stewart.

Then there are plenty of players like James McArthur that have had really good careers in England after playing over 150 games in Scotland before moving south.

I'd suggest playing competitive football early on plays a much bigger part in a players development than being coached at a big club where very few players reach the first team.

I understand it is different for every player but we don't have many success stories of players moving south young and doing well.  I am hopeful that the Performance Schools are setting up these young players to make more of a success of their careers but we will have to see whether this crop of young teenagers are making the right move.  

Andy Robertson the other fine example of that. I totally agree to be honest it can work both ways, but for the extremely talented youngsters such as Billy Gilmour who genuinely aspire to be one of the best players in the world it makes sense to go and  get the best coaching and play against some of the best player sof their age group and prove how good they are. It takes a very strong mentality though at such a young age to believe you can go down to some of the academys down there and stand out. There are many ways for players to develop I suppose but the coaching and standard down south will be far superior to anything our clubs have up here, it is the crucial age of around 18, 19 which Billy Gilmour is at now when they need to start playing competitive games and start to carve out a proper career in men's football. The standard of coaching they receive before that obviously depends on what club they serve their time at. 

23 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Sort of defeats the purpose of clubs like Killie trying to produce their own players when bigger clubs come along and sign promising players for peanuts when they are 16. 

Exactly why we need SFA Performance Schools and not leave it all to the clubs. 

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Are there more young Scots being scouted to bigger teams than ever before? Or are they just being publicised more? I think the former, though very difficult to tell.

It is about time that Rangers started producing young talent. Even if they don't end up in the first team

I think there are more younger players being scouted than ever before.  Probably time we closed down the JD Performance schools.

12 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Are there more young Scots being scouted to bigger teams than ever before? Or are they just being publicised more? I think the former, though very difficult to tell.

It is about time that Rangers started producing young talent. Even if they don't end up in the first team

The performance schools and Celtics St Ninian's school (rangers added one a couple of years ago) are giving these lads more coaching and time on the ball. This extra coaching is something like 30 hours a week (I think) and given for 4 years. The levels of technique on most of these lads is far superior to what it was pre performance school. The perfect example of this is the u19 game against Germany, we weren't outplayed or having a backs to wall performance to win, we had an even game against them and were technically on a similar level to them (a couple of their lads slight physical advantage). While we've had some decent results at youth level, I can't think of a time in the past where we have been technically a match for a top, top side. Like gemmell's u17 semi final run in 2014, was bigger lads, route one, backs to the wall. The Result looks good on paper, but a poor style and not much technique. U17 is a bit of a lottery for player development, but it just shows how results (semi of the u17 euros) aren't everything at youth level, when only three player are playing at a half decent level. Ryan Hardie is at Blackpool in league 1 (with zero goals), Wighton is at hearts and Wright is at Aberdeen and none of them are exactly first choice. The rest are Scottish championship or lower.

So in short they have a lot better technique, due to better and more coaching.

15 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

If true, you'd have to be tempted by Bayern knowing another Scottish player is already there. 

I'm not sure about Bayern, but there is concrete interest in Kennedy. His contract is up in 2021 and we'll probably be looking for him to extend his contract before then. I'd assume he won't sign a new contract unless he has some guarantee's about gametime (I believe Patterson is the same and it is why he'll be tav's deputy next season). I mean if you're being watch by world class clubs with top facilities and coaching, why stay at a lesser level for less money, with just as little chance of first team football. Even as a Rangers fan, if it was my nephew I'd be advising him to get a written agreement about first team games or telling him to move on to the bigger club for more money.

This is the one main issue I have with Gerrard. He rarely gives young players a sustained chance. last year Middleton and Mccrorie were both playing a lot of games but the minute it wasn't a half decent performance they were out the team for long periods (Middleton didn't play after January, despite playing a load of Europa League group games). While his favourites can have multiple poor performances and nothing happend. Tavernier (he had 3 game costing mistakes in a row) and Goldson (sorry beckenbaur 🙄) would've been dropped months ago if they weren't his favourites. Also Instead of signing shite like Brandon Barker we could've had Hastie, Middleton, Kennedy, McPake or Mebude in his slot.

It baffles me that a guy who comes from a youth coaching background and was given his chance at a young age, isn't willing to give these extremely promising youngsters more of a chance.

I hate to keep going after him (feels a bit mean), but no one is going to tell me that 23 year old Brandon Barker offers us anything that these younger more promising young players wouldn't. I'm just hoping he is still in Ajer's back pocket and I don't have to suffer through the useless donkey again.

6 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I'm not sure about Bayern, but there is concrete interest in Kennedy. His contract is up in 2021 and we'll probably be looking for him to extend his contract before then. I'd assume he won't sign a new contract unless he has some guarantee's about gametime (I believe Patterson is the same and it is why he'll be tav's deputy next season). I mean if you're being watch by world class clubs with top facilities and coaching, why stay at a lesser level for less money, with just as little chance of first team football. Even as a Rangers fan, if it was my nephew I'd be advising him to get a written agreement about first team games or telling him to move on to the bigger club for more money.

This is the one main issue I have with Gerrard. He rarely gives young players a sustained chance. last year Middleton and Mccrorie were both playing a lot of games but the minute it wasn't a half decent performance they were out the team for long periods (Middleton didn't play after January, despite playing a load of Europa League group games). While his favourites can have multiple poor performances and nothing happend. Tavernier (he had 3 game costing mistakes in a row) and Goldson (sorry beckenbaur 🙄) would've been dropped months ago if they weren't his favourites. Also Instead of signing shite like Brandon Barker we could've had Hastie, Middleton, Kennedy, McPake or Mebude in his slot.

It baffles me that a guy who comes from a youth coaching background and was given his chance at a young age, isn't willing to give these extremely promising youngsters more of a chance.

I hate to keep going after him (feels a bit mean), but no one is going to tell me that 23 year old Brandon Barker offers us anything that these younger more promising young players wouldn't. I'm just hoping he is still in Ajer's back pocket and I don't have to suffer through the useless donkey again.

Agree fully. Rangers will probably add players in January and lose nobody, except young players.

Its actually better that they are poached by bigger clubs as bizarrely there’s more chance of someone getting a game at Bayern Munich than at Rangers. 

52 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Other than Ryan Fraser signing a pre-contract somewhere, does anyone think we will see much movement in January? 

Leicester might just make a bid for one of Christie, Forrest or McGregor.

Some clubs may be interested in the likes of Scott McKenna, Ryan Porteous and Lawrence Shankland.

John McGinn could be the subject of bids from big clubs that are panic buying.

15 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Leicester might just make a bid for one of Christie, Forrest or McGregor.

Some clubs may be interested in the likes of Scott McKenna, Ryan Porteous and Lawrence Shankland.

John McGinn could be the subject of bids from big clubs that are panic buying.

None of those players are close to being good enough for Leicester. 

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Agree fully. Rangers will probably add players in January and lose nobody, except young players.

Its actually better that they are poached by bigger clubs as bizarrely there’s more chance of someone getting a game at Bayern Munich than at Rangers. 

I think rangers need to strength on the RW, as in one proper quality player but Ojo, Barker, Murphy, Stewart, etc could, should be binned. Along with Polster, Doc, King and others.

It is truly infuriating Kennedy, Mebude, Patterson, Kelly, Robby McCrorie would all have first team minutes at any other club in the SPL and I include Celtic on that list. Rangers have put a massive focus on improving our youth academy in the last five years and we put more resources into it than any other club in Scotland. This is resulting in us winning the u18s (last year), our colts in wafer cup semis, u19 generation into the knockouts of the uefa youth League, winning the u16s (this year) and u18s unbeaten (so far this year). So how on earth are these lads not even being given a chance to show what they can do.

The excuse is ohh 55 and stopping 10 in a row is too important, aye very good and what happens if that doesn't happen this year. Do we just write of giving these lads a chance until we win the league... Even when we do eventually win the league again, it will be ohh it's too important we need to build a gap between us and them. 

I'm not advocating playing these lads in high pressure games and thrown in at the deep end. What I atleast want is 1 or 2 of these lads on the bench against bottom 6 sides (no disrespect), if we are up by a few goals bring them on and let them show what they can do, if they do well start using them in more high pressure games and so on.