Scottish player transfers - Page 75 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

4 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

True he is still that same wide midfielder who came back from notts county, that Celtic fans wanted rid of. 

He has massively progressed and changed his game since then and became a very good cm. What I would say however, is that he has stagnated in the last couple of years. It tends to happen in the SPL after a few years, player improves to a good level, but isn't tested enough to improve further or is training with average players, average coach's/facilities, etc.

Exactly.

I love the TAMB. We say pretty much the samd thing, you get three thumbs up and i get accused of being controversial and talking drivel. :lol:

But yeah, you're spot-on. It's akin to France playing San Marino every week. You're not going to learn anything if you're in eithet team.

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Unless, I suppose, they are aware of incoming bids for some of their current squad in Jan or, more likely, end of the season? 

Never know. Could be that Rodgers was keen to bring him in when first taking the job but has since changed his mind based on what he is getting out of the current players. Could be there was never anything in it and it was just lazy paper talk. 

Ach, I'd say Mcgregor proved last Thursday that he has improved since his Notts County days, having a very good game in Rome. He also had a good game in the home leg of that particular tie. 

He'd not get in the Leicester team, though, as it stands, that's for sure. 

Leicester will be playing in the European Cup next season, they have one of best managers in the world, they're building a training complex that will cost £100m and be the enjy of the elite.

I doubt any of their better players are going anywhere, for the foreseeable future.

Doubt it. Ndidi was never a secret, he cost £17m at the start of 2017. As for Tielemans, he just came 3rd at the World cup, aged 21. ;)

Do you know who he reminds me of? Jesse Lingard. He's wiry and skinny and looks athletic, but he doesnt actually do anything. Lingard is a figure of fun with Manchester United fans, McGregor would be the same, if he joined such a club. Not that it'll happen.

No. Definitely not. I actually think Leicester's central midfield is marginally the best in the EPL. The two players that I just mentioned will eventually leave, but for massive amounts of cash, especially Ndidi.

1 minute ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Leicester will be playing in the European Cup next season, they have one of best managers in the world, they're building a training complex that will cost £100m and be the enjy of the elite.

I doubt any of their better players are going anywhere, for the foreseeable future.

Doubt it. Ndidi was never a secret, he cost £17m at the start of 2017. As for Tielemans, he just came 3rd at the World cup, aged 21. ;)

Do you know who he reminds me of? Jesse Lingard. He's wiry and skinny and looks athletic, but he doesnt actually do anything. Lingard is a figure of fun with Manchester United fans, McGregor would be the same, if he joined such a club. Not that it'll happen.

No. Definitely not. I actually think Leicester's central midfield is marginally the best in the EPL. The two players that I just mentioned will eventually leave, but for massive amounts of cash, especially Ndidi.

Rodgers is one of the best managers in the world?

10 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Surprised by your comment for someone who’s dismissive of Scottish football and Rodgers has been Leicester manager for less than a season, to then claim he’s one of the best in the world is some leap. 

What's Scottish football got to do with my opinion on Brendan Rodgers?

Yes, i think, by and large, Scottish football is a massive joke. Yes, I think fans who regularly attend SPL matches need intense (maybe a lifetime of) therapy, but sometimes something good can flourish... Like a Billy Gilmour, for example.

Ask Manchester United fans who they'd rather have as manager, Ole or Brendan. The only people that would pick Ole are the ones who don't want Rogers because of his Liverpool connections.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

Just now, The_Dark_Knight said:

Yes, i think, by and large, Scottish football is a massive joke. Yes, I think fans who regularly attend SPL matches need intense (maybe a lifetime of) therapy, but sometimes something good can flourish... Like a Billy Gilmour, for example.

Ask Manchester United fans who they'd rather have as manager, Ole or Brendan. The only people that would pick Ole are the ones who don't want Rogers because of his Liverpool connections.

It’s where he’s managed the most recently. 

To say he’s one of the best managers in the world based on his EPL record is ludicrous.

11 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

They do, but I would still anticipate them being vulnerable to losing some of their key players to the 'bigger' clubs. 

It happened this summer, with their centre half. Their current success, should it hold up (I think there is a very good chance it will but you never know) might well disuade others from following suite, but that's still something they are likely to be vulnerable to, in ways that the other teams around them (Liverpool, City, Chelsea) are less so.

All managers prepare, and I recall there being a lot of question marks about if they would keep a hold of Tielemans and Maddison, so Rodgers will definitely have had players earmarked to go for should any of his midfield followed the centre half (and often captain, on the day? Not sure). Whether Mcgregor was ever one of those names, I suppose we'll never know. We do know it's the easiest link for a paper to make just to fill space and get clicks, along with Tierney. 

Yeah? Well, Mcgregor does plenty, like in those two stunning results against Lazio where was was excellent (especially in Rome) but it's very very possible that he'd not cut it at a club like Man U, that's for sure. Man U are no Notss County, though. Mcgregor has undoubtedly progressed since then. Champions league and Europa League appearances and decent to good performances therein. 

Aye it's a totally different scale we are talking about, a gargantuan gap to bridge between Celtic's budget and Leciester's. Night and day. I could see him maybe playing for a bottom half english side, with his capacity to retain possession under pressure and his decent enough level of passing. I don't see him leaving Celtic for that, though, even if they came for him. Money would dictate that, I suppose. 

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It’s where he’s managed the most recently. 

To say he’s one of the best managers in the world based on his EPL record is ludicrous.

Isn't this the perfect forum for ludicrousness?

A so-called Scotland fan laughed when hearing that Scott McTominay is facing a couple months injured and i was told to get a life when i mentioned that i revently rewatched the Scotland matches of Euro 96 and France 98.

This place is an insane asylum.

Just now, The_Dark_Knight said:

Isn't this the perfect forum for ludicrousness?

A so-called Scotland fan laughed when hearing that Scott McTominay is facing a couple months injured and i was told to get a life when i mentioned that i revently rewatched the Scotland matches of Euro 96 and France 98.

This place is an insane asylum.

Don’t know, as bad as it can get on here, reading Rodgers as one of the world best was something else. 

Probably laughed at your post rather than McTominay’s injury. 

5 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Don’t know, as bad as it can get on here, reading Rodgers as one of the world best was something else. 

Probably laughed at your post rather than McTominay’s injury. 

If he finishes 2nd or 3rd in the EPL with Leicester, above teams like Man United, Arsenal, Spurs, it'll mean he's a top manager. Like it or not.

That makes no sense. The post was about Scott McTominay being injured. I stick to what i said. There are a tiny circle of people here that dont want Scotland to do well.

https://www.tamb.net/forum/index.php?/topic/13218-scott-mctominay/&do=findComment&comment=549041

39 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

They do, but I would still anticipate them being vulnerable to losing some of their key players to the 'bigger' clubs. 

It happened this summer, with their centre half. Their current success, should it hold up (I think there is a very good chance it will but you never know) might well disuade others from following suite, but that's still something they are likely to be vulnerable to, in ways that the other teams around them (Liverpool, City, Chelsea) are less so.

All managers prepare, and I recall there being a lot of question marks about if they would keep a hold of Tielemans and Maddison, so Rodgers will definitely have had players earmarked to go for should any of his midfield followed the centre half (and often captain, on the day? Not sure). Whether Mcgregor was ever one of those names, I suppose we'll never know. We do know it's the easiest link for a paper to make just to fill space and get clicks, along with Tierney. 

Yeah? Well, Mcgregor does plenty, like in those two stunning results against Lazio where was was excellent (especially in Rome) but it's very very possible that he'd not cut it at a club like Man U, that's for sure. Man U are no Notss County, though. Mcgregor has undoubtedly progressed since then. Champions league and Europa League appearances and decent to good performances therein. 

Aye it's a totally different scale we are talking about, a gargantuan gap to bridge between Celtic's budget and Leciester's. Night and day. I could see him maybe playing for a bottom half english side, with his capacity to retain possession under pressure and his decent enough level of passing. I don't see him leaving Celtic for that, though, even if they came for him. Money would dictate that, I suppose. 

Yeah. It happened with Maguire, and it could happen on the summer. If Manchester United have any scouting network they'll buy Ndidi before someone like Real Madrid, Juventus or Barcelona get him. He's very much like a Deschhamps of a Kante. 

True. It's like the "Fraser to Liverpool" thing. Straight away i cast doubt on it. It makes no sense. I mean, why would Bournemouth rebuff alleged bids of £20m a couple months ago to now accept £10m. Total agent talk, as Fraser's contract is running out. Fraser will probably end up at Newcastle.

People have to accept it, no one outside Scotland rates Christie, Forrest and McGregor. If they did, those players wouldn't be at Celtic anymore. I don't rate them, not because they're in Scotland, but because they arent very good. There are kids who are playing for the Scotland u17/19s that I think have more potential.

Look at Armstrong, he looked like a star up here... And now he's in and out of a poor Southampton team. It would be the same for the three Celtic players I mentioned.

Oops.

This thread is about transfers, so I'll leave before I'm accused of spamming.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

24 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

If he finishes 2nd or 3rd in the EPL with Leicester, above teams like Man United, Arsenal, Spurs, it'll mean he's a top manager. Like it or not.

That makes no sense. The post was about Scott McTominay being injured. I stick to what i said. There are a tiny circle of people here that dont want Scotland to do well.

https://www.tamb.net/forum/index.php?/topic/13218-scott-mctominay/&do=findComment&comment=549041

He still won’t be one of the worlds best imo

3 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Yeah. It happened with Maguire, and it could happen on the summer. If Manchester United have any scouting network they'll buy Ndidi before someone like Real Madrid, Juventus or Barcelona get him. He's very much like a Deschhamps of a Kante. 

True. It's like the "Fraser to Liverpool" thing. Straight away i cast doubt on it. It makes no sense. I mean, why would Bournemouth rebuff alleged bids of £20m a couple months ago to now accept £10m. Total agent talk, as Fraser's contract is running out. Fraser will probably end up at Newcastle.

People have to accept it, no one outside Scotland rates Christie, Forrest and McGregor. If they did, those players wouldn't be at Celtic anymore. I don't rate them, not because they're in Scotland, but because they arent very good. There are kids who are playing for the Scotland u17/19s that I think have more potential.

Look at Armstrong, he looked like a star up here... And now he's in and out of a poor Southampton team. It would be the same for the three Celtic players I mentioned.

Don't really need a scouting network to note that Ndidi is a player now, I suppose. 

Aye, that sounds like nonsense for sure. Albeit I would say the price is down because he has refused to extend his contract so if anybody does want him they can play hardball and tell Bournemouth it's 1015 million or nothing and we'll get him on a free. Alleged bids of 20 million never actually materialised, it's worth remembering, and back then the belief was perhaps that he would be signing an extension. 

Fraser is far too good to end up at newcastle, though. Far far too good. 

I have no idea if that is or isn't true, but if the Lazio coach doesn't rate them he's wanting to give his heid a wobble, since they were very good against his team. If anyone watched those games and went 'those guys are not capable of playing at a higher level than sottish premier' then they shouldn't be employed in football, given that they were performing, and performing well, in European wins against a Serie A side. 

I'm just glad Armstrong is getting some games now. Hey, the only lost two to Leicester once they brought him on, they'd lost seven before then! Clearly tells it's own story... And they've only been narrowly beaten since he got back in... 

Straw clutching at it's finest, but hey. I still rate him, anyway. 

3 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

a place where if you mention that you watched Scotland participating in an historical tournament you're told to "get a life" (By you, if i recall correctly)

You said you'd re-watched the full 90 mins from numerous games from years ago - I stand by my view that you should get a life.

You spent far too much time on here boring folk to tears with your self righteous pish.

3 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Rodgers was incapable of changing his style to get results away from home in Europe but is now one of the best managers in the world.

You should do stand up. At least then you'll get paid for folk laughing at you.

What has Rodgers won as a manger BTW? Trophies up here don't count (your rules)

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You said you'd re-watched the full 90 mins from numerous games from years ago - I stand by my view that you should get a life.

You spent far too much time on here boring folk to tears with your self righteous pish.

I have? Show me the proof.

The Euro 96/France 98 matches I've only watched twice, in their entirity.

Really? Says the guy closing in on 9k posts.

Boring? Nah. Educational, if you had any brains.

10 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Rodgers was incapable of changing his style to get results away from home in Europe but is now one of the best managers in the world.

You should do stand up. At least then you'll get paid for folk laughing at you.

What has Rodgers won as a manger BTW? Trophies up here don't count (your rules)

So, in a hair's breath, you've pretty much told me stop posting and leave the forum and you've insulted me.

Say what you will, i have never stooped so low.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who’s watched the under 17s this season it’s clear Liam Morrison & Leon King are our most promising players after Billy Gilmour & here’s King turning down a contract at Rangers with the usual suspects interested - among them Chelsea.

Undoubtedly would be a good idea to move on like Morrison & Gilmour so hopefully it happens as Rangers don’t give a monkeys about playing youth.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/leon-king-rangers-contract-snub-20945997

Edited by ProudScot