Scottish player transfers - Page 73 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

2 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

He is a very technically good player. I'm a bit surprised he didn't make the breakthrough at Venezia. He's still only 20, so there's time.

Apparently Kilmarnock are about to get Dorrans on a free transfer.

We haven't even spoken to him, so that's pure pish paper talk sadly as I'd have taken him.

15 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Interesting article about Gilmour where Mackay states,

"There’s now 14 Scottish 16-year-olds who have been bought by English clubs in the last three years - that’s never happened before"

can anyone name them all? I know Norwich have a few.

Not signed yet but Man City are sniffing about Liam Smith at Killie.

He's been down on trial over the summer.

Liverpool also in for him.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2019 at 8:13 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

Not signed yet but Man City are sniffing about Liam Smith at Killie.

He's been down on trial over the summer.

Liverpool also in for him.

I can actually see that one happening (to City or Liverpool). Saw him recently for the 17s and he looks very special. 17 years old, right winger.

18 year old Scott Banks has confirmed that he'll refuse a new contract from Dundee United. Reports that he'll join Crystal Palace.

Palace offered Dundee United £400k for Banks in September, but it was rejected. They'll now receive half that through compensation.

Shrewd move, Dundee United.

I've never seen Scott Banks, but it's fair to guess he's skilful. All of the kids (18 and under) seem to be at another level,technique-wisee, to the previous handful of generations. 

8 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I can actually see that one happening (to City or Liverpool). Saw him recently for the 17s and he looks very special. 17 years old, right winger.

18 year old Scott Banks has confirmed that he'll refuse a new contract from Dundee United. Reports that he'll join Crystal Palace.

Palace offered Dundee United £400k for Banks in September, but it was rejected. They'll now receive half that through compensation.

I've never seen Scott Banks, but it's fair to guess he's skilful. All of the kids (18 and under) seem to be at another level,technique-wisee, to the previous handful of generations. 

That’ll be the performance schools bearing fruit. 

So let’s close those bastards down immediately. 

Edited by ProudScot

On 11/4/2019 at 11:48 PM, The_Dark_Knight said:

He's only played three matches for United.  Is it so unreasonable for the club to turn down £400k and hope they might get to use the player for a few seasons first, then maybe get real big bucks?

He's decided to do a Scott Allan.  Up to him, but maybe he should look at Kieran Freeman (in 2016), Ali Coote (2017), Harry Souttar (2016) as well as Allan who left United as teenagers and have yet to set foot on a pitch for their new club's first teams?

See also Islam Feruz.

8 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I should add, I have seen Scott Banks.  He looks good.  Not as good as Chris Mochrie, and not as good as Scott Allan looked in those handful of games at Tannadice, but he definitely looks like he has a chance.

Think Banks is a bit younger than Allan was when he went down South. I think Souttar will Come good and to be fair to Kieran Freeman, he has had big injury problems since he went to Southampton. I understand he is now injury free and has signed a new contract and still only 19. He has time on his side yet. I dont think Coote was very good. 

At least Banks has had first team experience unlike Allan. He was regular for Clyde last season at 17 on loan and apparently played very well for one so young. Time will tell whether this is a good move or not but I agree That United were correct to reject the £400k offer. 

2 hours ago, adamntg said:

I should add, I have seen Scott Banks.  He looks good.  Not as good as Chris Mochrie, and not as good as Scott Allan looked in those handful of games at Tannadice, but he definitely looks like he has a chance.

How many players who came through the Dundee United academy have had or are having decent careers after staying and playing first team football first? I can only really think of Stuart Armstrong.

He's only played three matches for United.  Is it so unreasonable for the club to turn down £400k and hope they might get to use the player for a few seasons first, then maybe get real big bucks?

He's decided to do a Scott Allan.  Up to him, but maybe he should look at Kieran Freeman (in 2016), Ali Coote (2017), Harry Souttar (2016) as well as Allan who left United as teenagers and have yet to set foot on a pitch for their new club's first teams?

See also Islam Feruz.

It was only a three month differential, though. Crystal Palace offered £400k three months ago. Maybe they hoped that he'd sign a new deal, which is fair enough, in that case I can see where Dundee United were coming from.

Very good point. 

Mochrie does look good. Probably the best striker to come out of Dundee United since Duncan Ferguson, or at least, I hope so.

32 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

It was only a three month differential, though. Crystal Palace offered £400k three months ago. Maybe they hoped that he'd sign a new deal, which is fair enough, in that case I can see where Dundee United were coming from.

Very good point. 

Mochrie does look good. Probably the best striker to come out of Dundee United since Duncan Ferguson, or at least, I hope so.

Mochrie is a midfielder and only 16. Man City apparently tracking him. You’re maybe thinking of Appere who has got in first team this season?

32 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I wouldn't even count Stuart Armstrong, as he came through at ICT.

I think Armstrong joined United at about 14/15 so he counts. Both Souttars will have good careers although Harry left after a couple of 1st team games. Depends how far you want to go back but Russell , even Goodwillie (got move to Premiership) , Gauld may well come good. Jamie Robson , young lad in 1st team but with over 100 games should have good career. The better question is how many have had good careers having left Tannadice having not played in 1st team or left early. 

1 minute ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Mochrie is a midfielder and only 16. Man City apparently tracking him. You’re maybe thinking of Appere who has got in first team this season?

Really?

Mochrie played up front for the past few U17 matches... or it might've been as a number 10.

Yeah. You're right. My bad. Mochrie played just behind Hanratty (Another good young player).

Like Allen, Banks is an exciting prospect. However, also like Allen, after only a couple of appearances he And his agent demanded a wage that would make him the second highest player at the club. Utterly ridiculous request at this stage of his career.  I wish him well but I have no issue with him being shown the door by United. 

You have to wonder what shite some of these young lads listen to.

17 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

I think Armstrong joined United at about 14/15 so he counts. Both Souttars will have good careers although Harry left after a couple of 1st team games. Depends how far you want to go back but Russell , even Goodwillie (got move to Premiership) , Gauld may well come good. Jamie Robson , young lad in 1st team but with over 100 games should have good career. The better question is how many have had good careers having left Tannadice having not played in 1st team or left early. 

Fair point.

As good as Allan or Armstrong or Gauld or the Souttars are/were, I think the next generation of young Scots are going to blow them out of the water, talent wise. I just hope, as you said, get good advice from people who care about their development, long term, as opposed to short term.

This current under 17 team, I'd say that, collectively, they're more technically talented than the senior team, which is encouraging as hell.

17 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

At least Banks has had first team experience unlike Allan. He was regular for Clyde last season at 17 on loan and apparently played very well for one so young. Time will tell whether this is a good move or not but I agree That United were correct to reject the £400k offer. 

Allan had a year on loan at Airdrie, played two or three games when he came back then decided he wouldn't sign a new contract.  The timeline is identical.  Allan was only older when he left cos he had glandular fever and missed a year of football.

I also agree that Souttar may well make it and I don't know enough about Freeman.  However, Souttar could've had 100 first team appearances by now if he'd stayed at United before making his move.  

14 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Like Allen, Banks is an exciting prospect. However, also like Allen, after only a couple of appearances he And his agent demanded a wage that would make him the second highest player at the club. Utterly ridiculous request at this stage of his career.  I wish him well but I have no issue with him being shown the door by United. 

You have to wonder what shite some of these young lads listen to.

I heard that about his wage demands but I'd take that with a pinch of salt to be honest.  The source seems to be heresay on forums.

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

Allan had a year on loan at Airdrie, played two or three games when he came back then decided he wouldn't sign a new contract.  The timeline is identical.  Allan was only older when he left cos he had glandular fever and missed a year of football.

I also agree that Souttar may well make it and I don't know enough about Freeman.  However, Souttar could've had 100 first team appearances by now if he'd stayed at United before making his move.  

Did he? 

Christ, how did I miss that? Scott Allan? 

12 hours ago, adamntg said:

I don’t think you are correct. If You believe Wikipedia, he had about 4 games on loan at Forfar and moved to West Brom when he was 20.  Nothing like Scott Banks. Ok he might have had glandular fever but as far as I am aware Banks also had big injury problems when he was 15/16

15 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

I don’t think you are correct. If You believe Wikipedia, he had about 4 games on loan at Forfar and moved to West Brom when he was 20.  Nothing like Scott Banks. Ok he might have had glandular fever but as far as I am aware Banks also had big injury problems when he was 15/16

On 11/7/2019 at 12:12 PM, AndyDD said:

Did he? 

Christ, how did I miss that? Scott Allan? 

Shite - I'm getting Scott Fraser mixed up with Scott Allan.  Sorry.