Scottish player transfers - Page 64 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

I don't see the point in handing in Xfer request, because means nothing

other than waiving a share of the transfer fee, because xfer instigated by player (typically how the contracts are written) 

can't imagine why he would be looking to rush to QPR/Nottingham Forest 

55 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

I don't see the point in handing in Xfer request, because means nothing

other than waiving a share of the transfer fee, because xfer instigated by player (typically how the contracts are written) 

can't imagine why he would be looking to rush to QPR/Nottingham Forest 

Because Mark Warburton has a magic hat.

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Why the phuck has no one come in for Forrest and McGregor by now? Routinely gubbing pish season after season up here for fun. They should be away challenging themselves in a better league by now.

No one could afford them, Celtic are playing hardball in their pursuit of ten in a row.

3 hours ago, JECK said:

Why the phuck has no one come in for Forrest and McGregor by now? Routinely gubbing pish season after season up here for fun. They should be away challenging themselves in a better league by now.

There's scouts everywhere. McGregor and Forrest must've been watched hundreds of times by scouts, even scouts who were scouting different players. If an EPL team wanted them, they would've got them. I don't actually remember a team placing a bid for either of them... ever. Personally, I don't rate them. They're no better or worse than Armstrong, and he's in and out of an average Southampton team.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

No one could afford them, Celtic are playing hardball in their pursuit of ten in a row.

Or rather, no one would pay silly money to buy them. You have to remember, in today's climate, teams are spending millions like it's confetti. If a team rated them, and wanted them, they would have them. Look at Armstrong, he went for what, £7m? He's not exactly pulling up trees. I'd say that if a team offered £7m for McGregor or Forrest Celtic would probably accept. But they won't.

The stock of the SPL has never been lower. In today's climate £25m is generally seen as peanuts by teams south of the border, and yet Arsenal are trying to finagle him for £18m up front, £7m depending on European Cup qualification, appearances, etc.

And yet Tierney could very well turn out to be just as good as Andy Robertson.

1 hour ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

There's scouts everywhere. McGregor and Forrest must've been watched hundreds of times by scouts, even scouts who were scouting different players. If an EPL team wanted them, they would've got them. I don't actually remember a team placing a bid for either of them... ever. Personally, I don't rate them. They're no better or worse than Armstrong, and he's in and out of an average Southampton team.

Or rather, no one would pay silly money to buy them. You have to remember, in today's climate, teams are spending millions like it's confetti. If a team rated them, and wanted them, they would have them. Look at Armstrong, he went for what, £7m? He's not exactly pulling up trees. I'd say that if a team offered £7m for McGregor or Forrest Celtic would probably accept. But they won't.

The stock of the SPL has never been lower. In today's climate £25m is generally seen as peanuts by teams south of the border, and yet Arsenal are trying to finagle him for £18m up front, £7m depending on European Cup qualification, appearances, etc.

And yet Tierney could very well turn out to be just as good as Andy Robertson.

Armstrong wanted to leave Celtic..... Forrest and McGregor don’t. Tierney is in no rush to leave either, hence why Celtic are holding out for the full £25 million. 

8 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Armstrong wanted to leave Celtic..... Forrest and McGregor don’t. Tierney is in no rush to leave either, hence why Celtic are holding out for the full £25 million. 

True, but Southampton still put in a bid. I don't remember any public bids for Forrest or McGregor.

The fact that Forrest and McGregor are fine with visiting the same grounds year on year, going toe-to-tow with free transfers and released players as opposed to going up against players of genuine quality and wanting to improve, says a lot about them. Apparently they'd rather beat St Johnstone 7:0 rather than going up against top internationals in magnificent stadiums... or perhaps they don't have an option.

Put Barry Bannan in this Celtic team and he'd rip teams a new one. In my opinion, McGregor is of a similar standard.

16 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

True, but Southampton still put in a bid. I don't remember any public bids for Forrest or McGregor.

The fact that Forrest and McGregor are fine with visiting the same grounds year on year, going toe-to-tow with free transfers and released players as opposed to going up against players of genuine quality and wanting to improve, says a lot about them. Apparently they'd rather beat St Johnstone 7:0 rather than going up against top internationals in magnificent stadiums... or perhaps they don't have an option.

Put Barry Bannan in this Celtic team and he'd rip teams a new one. In my opinion, McGregor is of a similar standard.

You say it’s lack of ambition.....I say it’s loyalty, something in short supply in the game these days, and a drive to cement themselves as club legends. Forrest is in the paper today saying he wants to become Celtic’s most decorated player. For me, that says more about him than anything. 

McGregor and Forrest still have years ahead of them, and will have opportunities to move on in the future, I have no doubt.

15 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

You say it’s lack of ambition.....I say it’s loyalty, something in short supply in the game these days, and a drive to cement themselves as club legends. Forrest is in the paper today saying he wants to become Celtic’s most decorated player. For me, that says more about him than anything. 

McGregor and Forrest still have years ahead of them, and will have opportunities to move on in the future, I have no doubt.

In a world where Scottish football is in a perpetual famine, being "Celtic's most decorated player" means absolutely zero.

If he thinks winning x amount of trophies (against 99% of teams that have no transfer budget) means that he'll be elevated above the likes of Kenny Dalglish, Jimmy Johnstone or Billy McNeil, etc, then I'd say that his ambition matches his intelligence.

Medals and trophies in Scotland only have merit when other than Celtic win them*

*No. I'm not a Rangers fan. Celtic are just so far ahead of everyone else that their domestic "achievements" are worthless.