Scottish player transfers - Page 63 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

1 hour ago, paper_lion said:

From what I've read he was supposed to have been brilliant in League One, then average at best last season in the championship. Taking a step up to the premier league will be too much imo (for him and the team). Very light in central midfield by the looks of it.

Fleck was one if the best players in the Championship last season. 

48 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

There's a massive difference between scoring in youth football like Hornby has and scoring in senior football at championship level which mcburnie has. not that I am a fan of mcburnie but Hornby has alot til do before hes even at mcburnies level.

I compared McBurnie's record with Hornby's at Scotland under u21 level. McBurnie scored a goal every six matches. Hornby scored a goal every 1.3 matches.

Will Hormby be better in senior football? Yes. MyBurnie is one of the worst strikers I've seen for a long while. I actually don't know what he's good at.

I don't care that McBurnie scored 20 something goals last season. He's still an unknown quantity at the top level. Sheffield United will probably sell him in the next transfer window and cut their loses.

If we're going to play two upfront i'd pair him up with Griffiths, if not, Griffiths would be my sole striker. McBurnis is shocking at holding the ball up.

13 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I compared McBurnie's record with Hornby's at Scotland under u21 level. McBurnie scored a goal every six matches. Hornby scored a goal every 1.3 matches.

Will Hormby be better in senior football? Yes. MyBurnie is one of the worst strikers I've seen for a long while. I actually don't know what he's good at.

I don't care that McBurnie scored 20 something goals last season. He's still an unknown quantity at the top level. Sheffield United will probably sell him in the next transfer window and cut their loses.

If we're going to play two upfront i'd pair him up with Griffiths, if not, Griffiths would be my sole striker. McBurnis is shocking at holding the ball up.

Scoring goals in football matches. 

1 hour ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

You really are clueless

1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

Scoring goals in football matches.

For a team who creates chances... In an average league. He'd also score 20 something in the SPL.

Plus our midfielders don't really create clearcut chances, so the chances of the chances of him scoring for us is slim.

Someone likened him to Rhodes. That's actually a good comparison. Both are strikers that require clearcut chances. If left to their own devices they are limited.

5 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

For a team who creates chances... In an average league. He'd also score 20 something in the SPL.

Plus our midfielders don't really create clearcut chances, so the chances of the chances of him scoring for us is slim.

Someone likened him to Rhodes. That's actually a good comparison. Both are strikers that require clearcut chances. If left to their own devices they are limited.

Thankfully we've got two of the top assist makers in the EPL :)

Horny scored 3 against Andorra so that somewhat skews his ability.

Id love him to become a top striker but he’s not played many senior games:

for now I’ll put my faith in Oli, Griff and Naisy who’ve all played and scored at senior level

3 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

If only it worked like that, lots of players scored goals at youth level but when it comes to stepping up to the senior game it is alot different. I don't rate mcburnie but to suggest Hornby is better on the basis that he scored more goals at youth level is absolutely ridiculous. The difference in level between youth football and even English championship is huge. There's countless guys who were excellent at u21 international football but who now play lower league football across the continent. I seem to remember a Scotland u19 team getting to the final of the u19 European championship in 2006. That team played Spain in the final. If you look through both those teams in the final you will find most of the players went onto play lower league football. Personally I don't think mcburnie will be good enough for the epl and I think he will eventually settle at English championship in his career. Hornby could potentially go onto an epl career and I hope he does for Scotlands sake but that's just speculation. Until he plays senior football and scores goals, even at league 1 or English championship he will be behind mcburnie.

58 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

If only it worked like that, lots of players scored goals at youth level but when it comes to stepping up to the senior game it is alot different. I don't rate mcburnie but to suggest Hornby is better on the basis that he scored more goals at youth level is absolutely ridiculous. The difference in level between youth football and even English championship is huge. There's countless guys who were excellent at u21 international football but who now play lower league football across the continent. I seem to remember a Scotland u19 team getting to the final of the u19 European championship in 2006. That team played Spain in the final. If you look through both those teams in the final you will find most of the players went onto play lower league football. Personally I don't think mcburnie will be good enough for the epl and I think he will eventually settle at English championship in his career. Hornby could potentially go onto an epl career and I hope he does for Scotlands sake but that's just speculation. Until he plays senior football and scores goals, even at league 1 or English championship he will be behind mcburnie.

Couldn't agree more.

I'm not really entirely basing the comparison on the Scotland youth levels. I'm also basing it on style of play. For such a big guy McBurnie is soft. Remember him in his ponytail years? If a breeze picked up in those days he'd be blown a mile. Not much has changed. Not saying that Hornby is a growler, but he's definitely more robust than McBurnie.

In my opinion it's a waste of time keeping an eye on McBurnie as he'll probably be sold during the next transfer window.

I hope Hornby get a loan move sorted soon.

7 hours ago, csinclair said:

Horny scored 3 against Andorra so that somewhat skews his ability.

Id love him to become a top striker but he’s not played many senior games:

for now I’ll put my faith in Oli, Griff and Naisy who’ve all played and scored at senior level

True, but he also scored big goals against the Dutch. He needs senior games, which I believe will happen this season if he can get a loan move.

For me McBurnie will never cut it at international level. Steven Fletcher is still the main man up top. And hopefully Griffith’s can get back to his best.

12 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Fleck was one if the best players in the Championship last season. 

From what I've read he was very up and down. Not sure he can be relied upon at a higher level.

Didn't look that great in the 3 or 4 games I watched either. Seemed to be giving the ball away too much.

5 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I can't believe the stick McBurnie is getting. It feels like most folk are basing it on a few Scotland caps he's had. He has something and can be a real asset for us. 

I'm basing it on when I've seen him for Swansea and Barnsley and Scotland at u21 level. 

Simply fact is that he isn't ready to step up to the EPL. Last season was pretty much his breakthrough season. He needs another season or two at Championship level to smooth out the edges.

If he joins Sheffield United he will not find it easy.

Personally speaking, I only rate four Scotland players (Tierney, Robertson, McTominay and Fraser). The rest, like Christie, MacGregor, Bain, Souttar, Jack, McLean, Griffiths, McBurnie, etc, are completely dispensable and limited.

I like Steve Clarke. I think he's a nice man and a very good manager, but his hands are tied by the lack of talent at his disposal.

Not involving a current member of the squad, but Burnley have sold Tom Haeton to Aston Villa, which will most likely see potential call up Jed Steer lose the No1 shirt at Villa (if reports back in May about Clarke making an approach were true).

On 8/1/2019 at 8:00 AM, PASTA Mick said:

I can't believe the stick McBurnie is getting. It feels like most folk are basing it on a few Scotland caps he's had. He has something and can be a real asset for us. 

hopefully you're correct, when iv seen him in the flesh he's reminded me of a sh.ite version of Steven Fletcher 

his stats suggest he is way better than that

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Glenn Middleton rumored to be going on loan to the Netherlands to spend a season with NAC Breda.

Will be interesting to see how he gets on. Good to see another youngster willing to take on a challenge like that and step out of their comfort zone.

On 7/31/2019 at 1:19 PM, The_Dark_Knight said:

Plus Sheffield United play a classic 3-5-2. That's another reason to get on board and hope they survive.

It was interesting to watch Sheffield United last season. They weren't the most glamourous of teams, but they bridged the gap.

People underestimate their football ability as it's pretty much a British squad but Wilder has them playing some good stuff. When they came to VP they knocked the ball around us every bit as well as Leeds did. It's not a Warnock or Pulis side that just knocks the ball into corners and plays for set pieces.

Sheffield United really push their wing backs on and also get CBs forward so McBurnie will have lots of crosses to work with. Will take a hammering or two but think they can win a few games at Bramall Lane and make that a tough place to go and get a win.

On 8/4/2019 at 12:42 PM, Tartan Chris said:

People underestimate their football ability as it's pretty much a British squad but Wilder has them playing some good stuff. When they came to VP they knocked the ball around us every bit as well as Leeds did. It's not a Warnock or Pulis side that just knocks the ball into corners and plays for set pieces.

Sheffield United really push their wing backs on and also get CBs forward so McBurnie will have lots of crosses to work with. Will take a hammering or two but think they can win a few games at Bramall Lane and make that a tough place to go and get a win.

Good points.

It'll be interesting to see how they do and how McBurnie does. Hopefully he plays 30+ matches and scores a few goals.

I like all progressive teams and teams who play football and managers willing to do the unconventional, so I hope Sheffield United stay up.