Scottish player transfers - Page 62 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

56 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

In Scotland Under 21 matches McBurnie scored 2 in 12 and Hornby has scored 6 in 8.

How many goals did Hornby score in grown up games last season? McBurnie bagged 24.

I know what you're saying, but it's so easy to get excited by the potential of an unproven player and write off actual proven performances of another. I really hope Hornby steps up to the big time and fills his potential, but in the meantime we need the current goal machine in the squad. 

Edited by mrniaboc

3 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

How many goals did Hornby score in grown up games last season? McBurnie bagged 24.

I know what you're saying, but it's so easy to get excited by the potential of an unproven player and write off actual proven performances of another. I really hope Hornby steps up to the big time and fills his potential, but in the meantime we need the current goal machine in the squad. 

Hornby scored 0 in 0 grown up matches. It's pretty difficult to score if you don't play against matches, one might say, I'm impossible.

Plus last season he snapped two ligaments and had to have his own ankle rebuilt last season, missing 12 weeks. So I think the teenager deserves a wee bit of compassion.

:lol: Did you actually call McBurnie a "goal machine"?! Well, maybe by Scottish striker standards. I'd be shocked if he scored 5 this season if he does join Sheffield United.

46 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Hornby scored 0 in 0 grown up matches. It's pretty difficult to score if you don't play against matches, one might say, I'm impossible.

Plus last season he snapped two ligaments and had to have his own ankle rebuilt last season, missing 12 weeks. So I think the teenager deserves a wee bit of compassion.

:lol: Did you actually call McBurnie a "goal machine"?! Well, maybe by Scottish striker standards. I'd be shocked if he scored 5 this season if he does join Sheffield United.

I'm sure more than that have said you're impossible... 

2 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I'd be shocked if he scored 5 this season if he does join Sheffield United.

I was thinking about that earlier, what would a decent return be for a player in a team more likely to get relegated than stay up.

Any thing in double figure would be an achievement I reckon.

56 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I was thinking about that earlier, what would a decent return be for a player in a team more likely to get relegated than stay up.

Yeah, I would say double figures would be great.

McBurnie needs to toughen up, hopefully the Sheffield United can help with that.

15 hours ago, bazmidd said:

It doesn't necessarily just have to be against weaker sides. A 4-4-2 can still work well against any side, with two rigid banks of four. The two up front just have to work very hard off the ball and help drop into spaces defensively. I personally would like to see us go with Griff and McBurnie against Russia. 

Think I had a right tiff with you about three at the back when you started posting here, have to say I agree with just about everything you post these days

5 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Be interesting to see how many goals he scores for a relegation fodder team. I’ll predict 6 

I can't see him scoring too many either (I'll guess five), simply because I think he's the sort of player who'll need chances created for him and I'm not too sure that Sheffield United will create enough in the Premier League.

9 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Be interesting to see how many goals he scores for a relegation fodder team. I’ll predict 6 

Taking Brighton and Southampton who finished just above the relegation zone, their top scorers in the league with 7 (S'ton) and 13 (Brighton)... so getting anything above 6 will be doing well, if United do struggle (but then they might do a Wolves and shock everyone!)

15 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Plus Sheffield United play a classic 3-5-2. That's another reason to get on board and hope they survive.

It was interesting to watch Sheffield United last season. They weren't the most glamourous of teams, but they bridged the gap.

They're similar to Cardiff in that sense - didn't have any standout players, didn't play the most outlandish football, just did what they did very well.

They've also got John Fleck, who hasn't had a chance in the national team - so he'll be interesting to keep an eye on too.

Have to agree with The Dark Knight on this one....... ability wise, Fraser Hornby, providing he stays fit, will prove to be a much better option than McBurnie, who I believe to be very limited.

But I am obviously hoping they both go on to have successful seasons. Hornby will need to go out on loan.

23 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Steven Fletcher scored 8 league goals for Burnley (12 in all comp) when they were relegated from the EPL.  That was considered good enough for Wolves - who were in the EPL - to pay £6.5 million for him in 2010. 

5 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

They've also got John Fleck, who hasn't had a chance in the national team - so he'll be interesting to keep an eye on too.

From what I've read he was supposed to have been brilliant in League One, then average at best last season in the championship. Taking a step up to the premier league will be too much imo (for him and the team). Very light in central midfield by the looks of it.

6 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

Have to agree with The Dark Knight on this one....... ability wise, Fraser Hornby, providing he stays fit, will prove to be a much better option than McBurnie, who I believe to be very limited.

But I am obviously hoping they both go on to have successful seasons. Hornby will need to go out on loan.

There's a massive difference between scoring in youth football like Hornby has and scoring in senior football at championship level which mcburnie has. not that I am a fan of mcburnie but Hornby has alot til do before hes even at mcburnies level.

10 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

There's a massive difference between scoring in youth football like Hornby has and scoring in senior football at championship level which mcburnie has. not that I am a fan of mcburnie but Hornby has alot til do before hes even at mcburnies level.

Am not disagreeing with you with regards to McBurnie, his goal scoring record in the Championship is excellent.

But my point is that Hornby has a lot more technical ability and has the potential to be a much better all round player than McBurnie will ever be. That is IF he stays fit and gets a loan somewhere with regular football at a decent level. 

16 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Spot on. I don't think people get the difference between playing at a restricted age level as opposed to one with no restrictions.

No way am I saying that Hornby won't make it, but we could name dozens that we thought would make it based on unders form it's not that easy a transformation. If any one feels confident about their ability to spot talent please post here  https://www.tamb.net/forum/index.php?/topic/11997-players-we-will-never-give-up-on/page/2/#comments

Edited by ceudmilefailte