Scottish player transfers - Page 61 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It kinda sounds like the Aussies are presently in the bad position we found ourselves in 2002 when Craigie Broon stood doon and Berti Vogts took over. The experienced players retiring or else in sharp decline. The youngsters either of poor quality or the promising ones just still too raw to be of any use.

The Aussies had quite a few good players in the late nineties - early 2000s.

Something of a blunder by Harry Souttar then.

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Something of a blunder by Harry Souttar then.

I think Souttar switched to Australia purely out of spite for not being picked for our U21s.

Anyway. he's went back to Fleetwood again for another season long loan. Starting to get the feeling that Stoke have seen enough and don't rate him.

Liam Lindsay is our player to watch at Stoke this coming season.

2 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Looks like McBurnie to Sheffield United for 18m is happening.

Now our most expensive player   EVER     

CrAZY RIGHT ENOUGH.....

2 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

I suppose in a way it sort of makes sense of the silly transfer fees.

A goals scorer is the moat important piece of a team and as the bottom of the EPL isn't much better than the top of the Championship a good goalscorer there should get something against the lesser teams in the EPL. It means the likes of Swansea can hold the likes Sheffield UTD to ransom.

I said it before who exactly can you get for less than £15 that is as good or better.

At the moment you have 6 or 7 seven teams will be playing for three places in next seasons EPL, that's why they are all spending silly money because the selling clubs know they have to.

McBurnie's record in the championship is pretty comparable to Rhodes up to 2012-ish.... so a striker who can score goals like that in England will come with an inflated price tag.

Suppose for Sheffield United they are getting a striker who can score in the Championship, so if their stay in the EPL is only a season, they have a striker tied down who they know is good for a potential 20 goals minimum for life back in the Championship.... and if he can recreate the same form in the EPL, there is the chance they can recoup all their money in a season when other teams come sniffing.

For most of us its pretty mind blowing that fee, based on what we have seen of him in a Scotland shirt (certainly a element of Duncan Ferguson'ish about him when from afar.... doing a job for his team in England, yet stick him in a Scotland shirt and does not look interested, or in McBurnie's case out of his depth....) but still believe that if he was given a run of 2 or 3 Scotland games to bed himself into the team, rather than made the scapegoat for another poor performance (from the team as a whole!) he will come good.

Saying that, probably a while before we can offer him that, as no doubt Griffiths is striking the biggest claim to a starting place ahead of anyone else we have available.

According to BBC Sport the bid is £20m

You can say what you want about the lad, but at least he isn't downing tools and trying to force a move (Unlike Neymar and Lukaku). And he could, Swansea have just sold their best attacking player to Man United. The chances of Swansea being promoted to the EPL this season are now pretty much gone.

5 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

I'd love to see this go through. He deserves a shot at the EPL. Also, he'll become the most expensive ever scottish player, and hold that record for at least a couple of days haha. 

Edited by mrniaboc

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

McBurnie's record in the championship is pretty comparable to Rhodes up to 2012-ish.... so a striker who can score goals like that in England will come with an inflated price tag.

Suppose for Sheffield United they are getting a striker who can score in the Championship, so if their stay in the EPL is only a season, they have a striker tied down who they know is good for a potential 20 goals minimum for life back in the Championship.... and if he can recreate the same form in the EPL, there is the chance they can recoup all their money in a season when other teams come sniffing.

For most of us its pretty mind blowing that fee, based on what we have seen of him in a Scotland shirt (certainly a element of Duncan Ferguson'ish about him when from afar.... doing a job for his team in England, yet stick him in a Scotland shirt and does not look interested, or in McBurnie's case out of his depth....) but still believe that if he was given a run of 2 or 3 Scotland games to bed himself into the team, rather than made the scapegoat for another poor performance (from the team as a whole!) he will come good.

Saying that, probably a while before we can offer him that, as no doubt Griffiths is striking the biggest claim to a starting place ahead of anyone else we have available.

I know some people don't like stats but for two players in the same league playing for teams of roughly the same standard.

Rhodes

+ Strengths

Holding on to the ball Strong

Headed attempts Strong

McBurnie

+ Strengths

Aerial Duels Strong

Finishing Strong

Headed attempts Strong

Dribbling Strong

Defensive contribution Strong

Basically McBurnie can do what Rhodes can plus an awful lot more.

He also averages more goals a game than Rhodes before any one comes out with old cliche about scoring goals is all that matters.

Of course Rhodes could break into the Norwich team and along with Hanley and McLean secure Champions League football for Norwich.

I don't know if I'm alone in not rating Griffiths, maybe I'm missing something. Reminds me of Kris Boyd, scores for fun in the SPL but doesn't really contribute much else

I think McBurnie has been a bit unlucky for Scotland. Every game I've seen him play for us he's not had much support from midfield.

It's unfortunate he was injured for the last games as I think he can offer more than Brophy, McNulty or Burke.

I'd like to see how he'd play for us with Christie behind him and Forrest & Fraser either side.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I know some people don't like stats but for two players in the same league playing for teams of roughly the same standard.

Rhodes

+ Strengths

Headed attempts Strong

McBurnie

+ Strengths

Aerial Duels Strong

Finishing Strong

Headed attempts Strong

Dribbling Strong

Defensive contribution Strong

Basically McBurnie can do what Rhodes can plus an awful lot more.

He also averages more goals a game than Rhodes before any one comes out with old cliche about scoring goals is all that matters.

Of course Rhodes could break into the Norwich team and along with Hanley and McLean secure Champions League football for Norwich.

I don't know if I'm alone in not rating Griffiths, maybe I'm missing something. Reminds me of Kris Boyd, scores for fun in the SPL but doesn't really contribute much else

Rhodes is back to Sheff Wed now, and apparently looking fitter , leaner and sharper for a long time. He is a model professional but if he does not have a good season then his chances of any more caps for us are gone.  If he gets service then he will get goals.  

5 hours ago, Davied14 said:

Prospect for the future Reece McAlear has moved from Motherwell to Norwich for 300k. Turning down Rangers and Celtic to do so.

Is that 4 Scottish youth players they've bought this simmer? Mair, Fitzpatrick, Gilmour (shipped out on loan) and McAleer. On top of their attempt to sign Turnbull. Interesting.

4 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Nope. We are weak in attack so we should play with two strikers.

I see that someone gave a "confused face".

To that person. We don't have a, what I'd call a "complete striker", Griffiths has his strengths, as does McBurnie, but I wouldn't trust either of them to play as a lone striker. Neither of them have the skill-set to play in the capacity of a sole striker. And our midfield certainly don't have the talent to make their role easier.

If we played with both of the aforementioned strikers it would lighten the load and they'd share the workload, which would benefit the team.

We've never qualified for any tournament playing with one striker.

Just because it's fashionable playing with a sole striker doesn't mean that we have to do it.

11 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Would it be completely outlandish to have Griffiths and McBurnie on the park at the same time against weaker sides? 

It doesn't necessarily just have to be against weaker sides. A 4-4-2 can still work well against any side, with two rigid banks of four. The two up front just have to work very hard off the ball and help drop into spaces defensively. I personally would like to see us go with Griff and McBurnie against Russia. 

27 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think McBurnie is a good player and will end up doing well for us. 

I agree. He will score goals for Scotland.

All he needs is to score an easy tap in or a penalty kick for us and he'll be charged with confidence and eager to get more.

A few people seem to have written him off already but that's because they are idiots.

Apparently Sky were saying last night that the amount of money and how it is paid between Arsenal and Celtic for Tireney is around £2m (fee looks to have been agreed, but a case of Arsenal wanting this £2m within future payments, while Celtic want it up front).

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I agree. He will score goals for Scotland.

All he needs is to score an easy tap in or a penalty kick for us and he'll be charged with confidence and eager to get more.

A few people seem to have written him off already but that's because they are idiots.

Took Griffiths a while to getting going and now most of us would have him first choice upfront

I actually think Fraser Hornby is a far better prospect. I've seen just as much of McBurnie as I have Hornby for the Scotland U21s and it's clear that Hornby has the greater potential. He's taller and he uses his physique better than McBurnie. For someone who is 6 foot 1, McBurnie is a bit of a weakling and his hold up play is worse than Rhodes's and Griffiths. 

Hornby reminds me a bit of Duncan Ferguson in his style of play. 

In Scotland Under 21 matches McBurnie scored 2 in 12 and Hornby has scored 6 in 8.

Hopefully Hornby can get a season long loan this season, as at 19 he really needs to collect some real game experience.