Scottish player transfers - Page 58 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

2 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

The only people that say that the EPL is the best league in the world are the people who watch only one league. I watch as much of La Liga as I do the EPL and let me tell you, per head, La Liga is better than the EPL. Players learn how to play football correctly in their own country and then they move to the EPL.

Yeah yeah, but can they do it on a freezing rainy January night in Stoke though? :P

28 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

There's differing opinions and then there's what you posted. Edouard trumps Griffiths in just about every category with the exception of free kicks and tying scarves to goalposts.

If we played 4-4-2 with Eddy and Griffiths up-front, I think that Griffiths would score more goals.

26 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Oh, you're one of those guys that would rather bench the better player and start the inferior one? Fair enough. That makes sense.

Its my opinion, if that doesnt make sens to you that's fine, and once again at no point did i say griff was the better player, but you cling on to that and keep being awkward 

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You said you'd play him over Edouard if he was fit?

For the record, IMO, Edouard is ten times the player Griffiths ever is/was/will be.

I also said why, Edouard undoubtedly has great ability, just doesn't use it well enough for me

55 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Its my opinion, if that doesnt make sens to you that's fine, and once again at no point did i say griff was the better player, but you cling on to that and keep being awkward 

You're right. You didn't say Griffiths was better. You said you would rather play Griffiths. Are you saying you would rather play someone who isn't as good? You do know how sports work, right?

33 minutes ago, Kirk said:

I also said why, Edouard undoubtedly has great ability, just doesn't use it well enough for me

You said on the previous page that "Eduard maybe but hes also not very good, or not consistently".

Not very good and has great ability. What a strange player.

2 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

You're right. You didn't say Griffiths was better. You said you would rather play Griffiths. Are you saying you would rather play someone who isn't as good? You do know how sports work, right?

I get the feeling you're choosing to be obtuse.

You can agree or disagree with Kirk, but it's not hard to understand what he means.

12 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Stop being a condescending dick for the sake of it........

10 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

You said on the previous page that "Eduard maybe but hes also not very good, or not consistently".

Not very good and has great ability. What a strange player.

well if you understand the English language I'm sure you would understand what i said in that first quote

9 minutes ago, andyD said:

I get the feeling you're choosing to be obtuse.

You can agree or disagree with Kirk, but it's not hard to understand what he means.

Agreed, but if it keeps him happy

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

If we played 4-4-2 with Eddy and Griffiths up-front, I think that Griffiths would score more goals.

For once I agree with you, don't know if Celtic will ever actually play a 4-4-2 though

23 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Take out the top 6 in the EPL and the standard is shocking. I don't care how much money they spend in transfer fees and wages, I care not a jot about how many international those teams have. Nothing disguises the fact that the EPL is overrated. You only have to look at the 7th placed team in Europe, each year they get best by teams in poorer leagues.

Teams 7 to 9 would beat Celtic? At parkhead? Not a chance.

Watch the first two televised EPL matches not to involve the top 6 (Sheffield United vs Crystal Palace + Aston Villa vs Everton) and let me know good it was. Looking at it, those look like Championship fixtures, and the standard will look like it, too.

I hate to break it to you but EPL teams are so wealthy that they dont care about the Europa League. 

here is the teams that Everton put out the last 2 games in EL group stages in 2017/2018.

3 - 0 Win Appollon Limassol - Robles, Baningme, Feeney, Besic, Charsley, Schniderlen, Klassen, Vlasic, Lookman, Mirallas, Hornby

5-1 Loss @ Atalanta - Robles, Kenny, Williams, Keane, Martina, Banigime, Klassen, Davies, Rooney, Mirallas, Rameriz

The EL has such a detrimental impact of their main priority of EPL its not worth playing first teamers in. 

Everton fans are glad they didnt qualify this season so they can focus on the league without the distraction on those extra games they dont have a squad to go far with.

(Burnely are excluded as they had never qualified for Europe before) 

25 minutes ago, The Golden Vision said:

To quote Ned Flanders "I hate to be a fussy freddy and all but ...." Burnley have actually managed to qualify for Europe before 2018.

As 1959-1960 champions of England, they played in the 1960-61 European Cup. They subsequently played in the 1966-67 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup.

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

To quote Ned Flanders "I hate to be a fussy freddy and all but ...." Burnley have actually managed to qualify for Europe before 2018.

As 1959-1960 champions of England, they played in the 1960-61 European Cup. They subsequently played in the 1966-67 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup.

And were you at the game caller?

33 minutes ago, The Golden Vision said:

I hate to break it to you but EPL teams are so wealthy that they dont care about the Europa League. 

here is the teams that Everton put out the last 2 games in EL group stages in 2017/2018.

3 - 0 Win Appollon Limassol - Robles, Baningme, Feeney, Besic, Charsley, Schniderlen, Klassen, Vlasic, Lookman, Mirallas, Hornby

5-1 Loss @ Atalanta - Robles, Kenny, Williams, Keane, Martina, Banigime, Klassen, Davies, Rooney, Mirallas, Rameriz

The EL has such a detrimental impact of their main priority of EPL its not worth playing first teamers in. 

Everton fans are glad they didnt qualify this season so they can focus on the league without the distraction on those extra games they dont have a squad to go far with.

Dont  expect a reply I pointed out that teams played more players in a handful of Europa league games than they did In entire seasons in the EPL. Also pointed out that players have made their first team debuts in the competition and given the full ninety minutes to players that don't even get on the bench.

Am a wee bit surprised though that teams haven't taken it more seriously since the winners now get a champions league place, or have they

2 hours ago, The Golden Vision said:

Burnley scraped past Aberdeen last season, using their strongest team. And they then got knocked out by Olympiakos, again, playing their full team. Southampton also got knocked out, playing their full team.

Getting off topic slightly, but there's a train of thought down south that Tierney couldn't hack it in the EPL. The likes of Southamptom, Crystal Palace, etc, are cannon fodder to the top 6. Hell, Liverpool went the season unbeaten. I actually wouldn't be surprised if both Man City and Liverpool went unbeaten, unless they both beat each other.

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You said you'd play him over Edouard if he was fit?

For the record, IMO, Edouard is ten times the player Griffiths ever is/was/will be.

I think that's a bit unfair, Griffith's has a good goal record for Celtic and isn't a long way behind edouard in terms of ability. Edouard will go onto be a better player but there isn't that much between them right now if you take out Griffith's recent mental health problems. 

10 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

The point is pretty much the top line of your post.

How is it possible for the teams (outside the top 6) from countries such as Greece, Denmark or Romania, etc, to match their English equivalent even though there's a disparity of literally hundreds of millions per annum? How is that even possible? People talk about the quality of the EPL and that it's the best league in the world. No. It's not. They might have 6 great teams (Although, Arsenal and Manchester United are going through strange times) but the rest? For the money that they spend/have, they're decidedly average.

The only people that say that the EPL is the best league in the world are the people who watch only one league. I watch as much of La Liga as I do the EPL and let me tell you, per head, La Liga is better than the EPL. Players learn how to play football correctly in their own country and then they move to the EPL.

Let's say La Liga is the best league in the world (which is open to argument), do you then agree the EPL is the second best league in the world? If not, I'd be very interested to hear which league you rank higher, or why you think 2nd best league in the entire world isn't a cool place for Scots to play. 

5 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Burnley scraped past Aberdeen last season, using their strongest team. And they then got knocked out by Olympiakos, again, playing their full team. Southampton also got knocked out, playing their full team.

Getting off topic slightly, but there's a train of thought down south that Tierney couldn't hack it in the EPL. The likes of Southamptom, Crystal Palace, etc, are cannon fodder to the top 6. Hell, Liverpool went the season unbeaten. I actually wouldn't be surprised if both Man City and Liverpool went unbeaten, unless they both beat each other.

Crystal Palace won at Man City and Arsenal last season also knocked Spurs out of the cup so probably not the best example.

21 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I've definitely encountered the train of thought that Scottish football is of a poor standard down here, but I must say I have really not seen this in regards to Tierney so far. Most Arsenal fans seem super-excited at the prospect of landing him, and Ryan Fraser!

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Perhaps, but relatively speaking his stats justify the price.

Considering Villa have spent £22 million on a lad who scored 10 goals in the Belgian top division and Newcastle are reportedly about to spend £36 million on a striker who got 7 goals last season in the Bundesliga I'd say McBurnie is definitely worth more than £15 million.