Scottish player transfers - Page 57 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

10 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

From the top of my head: Tierney, McGregor, Forrest, Edourd, Ajer, (Maybe Jullien if he lives up to his billing), Rogic.

Tierney - yes
McGregor - Possibly
Forrest - Not as good as the wingers they have
Edouard - only because they don't have many forwards.
Ajer - Not as good as Diop or Balbuena
Rogic - Possibly

4 hours ago, csinclair said:

Celtic's current squad would get lower mid-table at best in the EPL.

at absolute best, they are really not a great side at all

2 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

From the top of my head: Tierney, McGregor, Forrest, Edourd, Ajer, (Maybe Jullien if he lives up to his billing), Rogic.

Tierney  would

mcgregor no

forrest absolutley not

Eduard maybe but hes also not very good, or not consistently

ajer no, bang average player

rogic on ability yes, fitness no

4 hours ago, kumnio said:

A lot of people incredibly over rating English based players yet again, Skys cum gets swallowed yet again.

Lol yeah. The EPL being a higher standard than the Scottish Premiership is just fake news fabricated and perpetuated by Sky. They also fix all European matches so that Scottish teams lose and English teams win. 

3 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Lol yeah. The EPL being a higher standard than the Scottish Premiership is just fake news fabricated and perpetuated by Sky. They also fix all European matches so that Scottish teams lose and English teams win. 

Take out the top 6 of the EPL and the best of the rest of the EPL are getting beat by Greek teams, Danish teams and Romanian teams.

This is fact.

If the EPL was as good as some people say it is then the likes of Southampton, Everton, Burnley (and whomever else represents the rest of the teams in England) would swat away teams from the aforementioned nations. But they don't. Hell, Burnley scraped past Aberdeen only last season. For how high England's high horse is, and for the telescope that they require in order to peer down at Scottish football with, Burnley should've won by double digits against a team from a league that they compare to a pub league.

No one is disputing that the EPL is a top league, but no way is it as good as the majority of people think it is. Look at our relatively recent imports: Arfield, McArthur, McCarthy. All three decent players who have had very good careers in the EPL. If John McGinn does well next season then I think it's plain to see that the EPL is super-hyped as John McGinn isn't anything special. He's nothing special and yet Aston Villa fans are unanimous in their adoration for him and they believe him to be worth £50m+.

Don't believe the hype.

4 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Take out the top 6 of the EPL and the best of the rest of the EPL are getting beat by Greek teams, Danish teams and Romanian teams.

This is fact.

If the EPL was as good as some people say it is then the likes of Southampton, Everton, Burnley (and whomever else represents the rest of the teams in England) would swat away teams from the aforementioned nations. But they don't. Hell, Burnley scraped past Aberdeen only last season. For how high England's high horse is, and for the telescope that they require in order to peer down at Scottish football with, Burnley should've won by double digits against a team from a league that they compare to a pub league.

No one is disputing that the EPL is a top league, but no way is it as good as the majority of people think it is. Look at our relatively recent imports: Arfield, McArthur, McCarthy. All three decent players who have had very good careers in the EPL. If John McGinn does well next season then I think it's plain to see that the EPL is super-hyped as John McGinn isn't anything special. He's nothing special and yet Aston Villa fans are unanimous in their adoration for him and they believe him to be worth £50m+.

Don't believe the hype.

I don't believe hype. I belive logic and what I observe. If you take the top 6 out of the EPL you should take the top 6 out of the other leagues you're comparing to so that it's a fair comparison. So from last season 7th v 7th would be Wolves v St Johnstone. I know who my tenner would be on, and not because Sky told me who to choose hahaha.

1 minute ago, mrniaboc said:

I don't believe hype. I belive logic and what I observe. If you take the top 6 out of the EPL you should take the top 6 out of the other leagues you're comparing to so that it's a fair comparison. So from last season 7th v 7th would be Wolves v St Johnstone. I know who my tenner would be on, and not because Sky told me who to choose hahaha.

TDK (a much better name that Chripper to be fair) specifically referred to "Greek teams, Danish teams and Romanian teams", not Scottish teams. Is he right? We'll never know cos they don't play each other competitively.

His Burnley v Aberdeen point stands up though.

2 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

You believe in logic and yet you're pairing a team who made £123.9m in the 2018/19 campaign to a team who made just over a million. I don't see any logic in that comparison. Teams in Romania and Denmark... and everywhere else in Europe make more money than Scottish teams. But even so, it's still a pinnace with regards to what they make in the EPL.

You want to compare? Fine.

Wolves Vs Sevilla: I'll take Sevilla

Getafe Vs Everton: I'd take Getafe

And you could do the same with pretty much every other team in those leagues and I'd pick the Spanish team to win.

English football fans picking on Scottish football is akin to Scots laughing at the standard of English tennis players. It's too easy. I mean, you don't get Uruguay, French, German, Brazilian, Argentina and Italian fans mocking England for only winning one world cup. Why? Because they don't care about England. It's different with the English, they're obsessed with keeping us under their thumbs.

Now that's logic. 

38 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

You believe in logic and yet you're pairing a team who made £123.9m in the 2018/19 campaign to a team who made just over a million. I don't see any logic in that comparison. Teams in Romania and Denmark... and everywhere else in Europe make more money than Scottish teams. But even so, it's still a pinnace with regards to what they make in the EPL.

This. The UEFA benchmarking report for 2017 (I think this is the most recent report) shows that Leicester City had roughly the same revenues as Atletico Madrid and Inter, while Crystal Palace were comparable to Zenit and Roma. When you consider that, you realise how weak the English top flight is relative to other leagues considering their finances.

Report link: https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/OfficialDocument/uefaorg/Clublicensing/02/58/98/12/2589812_DOWNLOAD.pdf

17 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

This. The UEFA benchmarking report for 2017 (I think this is the most recent report) shows that Leicester City had roughly the same revenues as Atletico Madrid and Inter, while Crystal Palace were comparable to Zenit and Roma. When you consider that, you realise how weak the English top flight is relative to other leagues considering their finances.

Report link: https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/OfficialDocument/uefaorg/Clublicensing/02/58/98/12/2589812_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Not really sure what the discussion is here, personally I think the epl is a strong league and alot of fellow Scots seem to have a chip on their shoulder and wish to denigrate it by claiming it's rubbish outside the top 6. If a Scottish player is playing regulary in the epl (outwith the top 6)over a few seasons he should nearly always be in our squad and will probably be better than your spl players bar Celtic who are imo the equivalent of a mid to lower epl team. But saying that I think there are some decent spl(outwith Celtic) players who deserve to be in the squad and the standard of the Scottish premiership isn't as bad as some ppl make out. I also don't understand the argument that outwith the top 6 it's just an extended version of the championship. I think the likes of Bournemouth or west ham would comfortably beat the championship teams bar maybe the teams who get promoted.

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not really sure what the discussion is here, personally I think the epl is a strong league and alot of fellow Scots seem to have a chip on their shoulder and wish to denigrate it by claiming it's rubbish outside the top 6. If a Scottish player is playing regulary in the epl (outwith the top 6)over a few seasons he should nearly always be in our squad and will probably be better than your spl players bar Celtic who are imo the equivalent of a mid to lower epl team. But saying that I think there are some decent spl(outwith Celtic) players who deserve to be in the squad and the standard of the Scottish premiership isn't as bad as some ppl make out. I also don't understand the argument that outwith the top 6 it's just an extended version of the championship. I think the likes of Bournemouth or west ham would comfortably beat the championship teams bar maybe the teams who get promoted.

All I'm saying is that despite the money available for English clubs, the standard of an average EPL club is no better than the standard of an average La Liga, Bundesliga or Serie A club or the standard of a top club from 'second tier' European leagues (Belgium, Greece, etc.).

1 hour ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

This is fact.

Don't believe the hype.

Don't understand the point your making,  I agree the champions from countries such as Greece or romania can match the epl teams outside the top 6, I would happily have players in our squad who played for the champions of those countries. I would also be happy to have players that play for Everton, Leicester or wolves. Those teams have good internationals who play or have played for decent international teams. Imo having as many of our players playing in the epl is good for our national team. Just because there's a gap between the top 6 and the rest in the epl doesn't mean that those teams are shite. Bournemouth for example have loads of good players including our own Ryan Fraser. The spl is not as bad as ppl make out but sadly very few of the Scottish premiership players outside of Celtic could cope in the epl.

1 minute ago, Clyde1998 said:

All I'm saying is that despite the money available for English clubs, the standard of an average EPL club is no better than the standard of an average La Liga, Bundesliga or Serie A club or the standard of a top club from 'second tier' European leagues (Belgium, Greece, etc.).

Yeh I would agree with that point tbf.

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Don't understand the point your making,  I agree the champions from countries such as Greece or romania can match the epl teams outside the top 6, I would happily have players in our squad who played for the champions of those countries. I would also be happy to have players that play for Everton, Leicester or wolves. Those teams have good internationals who play or have played for decent international teams. Imo having as many of our players playing in the epl is good for our national team. Just because there's a gap between the top 6 and the rest in the epl doesn't mean that those teams are shite. Bournemouth for example have loads of good players including our own Ryan Fraser. The spl is not as bad as ppl make out but sadly very few of the Scottish premiership players outside of Celtic could cope in the epl.

Thanks for making my point more eloquently than I ever could! 

To be clear, I don't think the Scottish Premiership is shit. You're allowed to be impressed by the EPL without automatically denigrating Scottish football. It's not a giant conspiracy against Scots. The EPL is actually a fantastic standard and the more Scots playing in it (or other top leagues in Europe) the better we'll be doing as an international team. Also, the route into the EPL for Scots is so much easier than to any other top league. 

Edited by mrniaboc

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

The point is pretty much the top line of your post.

How is it possible for the teams (outside the top 6) from countries such as Greece, Denmark or Romania, etc, to match their English equivalent even though there's a disparity of literally hundreds of millions per annum? How is that even possible? People talk about the quality of the EPL and that it's the best league in the world. No. It's not. They might have 6 great teams (Although, Arsenal and Manchester United are going through strange times) but the rest? For the money that they spend/have, they're decidedly average.

The only people that say that the EPL is the best league in the world are the people who watch only one league. I watch as much of La Liga as I do the EPL and let me tell you, per head, La Liga is better than the EPL. Players learn how to play football correctly in their own country and then they move to the EPL.

1 hour ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Do you watch him with your eyes closed?

Hes a decent player, does some really good stuff at times but not consistent at all, and not a patch on what dembele was. Id probably play griffiths if and when fit over him

9 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

You want to compare? Fine.

Wolves Vs Sevilla: I'll take Sevilla

Getafe Vs Everton: I'd take Getafe

And you could do the same with pretty much every other team in those leagues and I'd pick the Spanish team to win.

English football fans picking on Scottish football is akin to Scots laughing at the standard of English tennis players. It's too easy. I mean, you don't get Uruguay, French, German, Brazilian, Argentina and Italian fans mocking England for only winning one world cup. Why? Because they don't care about England. It's different with the English, they're obsessed with keeping us under their thumbs.

Now that's logic. 

That would actually make a great pre-season...

Using the UEFA Country coefficients, leagues play-off against each other.

Spain v England; Italy v Germany; France v Russia....Serbia v Scotland etc.

1st v 1st, 2nd v 2nd, 3rd v 3rd...all the way down to the lowest team in the smaller league, so we'd enter 12 teams and play the top 12 in Serbia.

1 match - 3 points for a win, 1 each for a draw.  Country with the most points get an extra place in Europe the season after or something.

All matches count towards the UEFA Country coefficients.

It would be great for the teams that don't usually get into Europe as they'd get a competitive game.

13 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Hes a decent player, does some really good stuff at times but not consistent at all, and not a patch on what dembele was. Id probably play griffiths if and when fit over him

So you do watch the games with your eyes closed? Glad we cleared that up. Leigh over Odsonne. Jesus wept:lol:

Just now, Tartan_McCole said:

So you do watch the games with your eyes closed? Glad we cleared that up. Leigh over Odsonne. Jesus wept:lol:

Fuck me a differing opinion on a message board, I must no watch the games

2 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

There's differing opinions and then there's what you posted. Edouard trumps Griffiths in just about every category with the exception of free kicks and tying scarves to goalposts.

Where did I say griff was better? please actually fucking read what I am saying.