Scottish player transfers - Page 56 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

4 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Swansea want £20m.

We're Scottish, so we aren't really in the modern football bubble as far as transfer money goes. In my opinion he's worth £2m. But the modern football world multiplies it by 20.

Just before anyone else gets in with the tease, £2m x 20 = £40m  :P

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

In comparison to other transfer fees floating about McBurnie is a £15m player, he's no better or worse than Che Adams and he went for £15m.. 

Take it if he does move on this would make him the most expensive Scotsman ever.

Would only have to be more than the £13.5m that Burke went for?

5 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

If McBurnie is worth £20m then god only knows how much Dalglish, Law, etc, were worth.

I reckon I would be worth a million in the English leagues these days.

(For anyone who's not see me play this is clearly sarcasm....I think....)

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I reckon I would be worth a million in the English leagues these days.

(For anyone who's not see me play this is clearly sarcasm....I think....)

If McBurnie's worth £20m then each of your legs must be worth £1m.

The inflated market in English football is insane. If McBrnie goes for £20m then money has lost all meaning.

28 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

The inflated market in English football is insane. If McBrnie goes for £20m then money has lost all meaning.

I mean, the lad did score 24 goals for Swansea last season. That's not bad. £15m being rejected does seem crazy, but the market determines his worth and maybe we should pay more attention to that, and his shitload of goals, rather than the handful of appearances he's made for a poor Scotland team? 

11 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

It is what it is.£15m is the going rate for a 23 year old with McBurnie's goals to games ratio in the Championship, plus if you pay any attention to his overall contribution to his current team he might worth £20m to them. Who do you suggest they buy to replace him or for that matter who would you sign instead.

It's about time you realised that football transfers are simply a case of supply and demand. You seem to think that your knowledge of numbers is better than that of those that actually have a say in it.

The money involved in football is surreal but if better players were available cheaper elsewhere they would buy elsewhere, which I think is the bit you have a problem with.The standard of English football is higher than you think.

7 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I mean, the lad did score 24 goals for Swansea last season. That's not bad. £15m being rejected does seem crazy, but the market determines his worth and maybe we should pay more attention to that, and his shitload of goals, rather than the handful of appearances he's made for a poor Scotland team? 

With all due respect to the Championship, it's about the same standard as the SPL. If someone scored 24 in the SPL next season no one in English football would notice.

I watched about a dozen or so Swansea matches last season, he never once impressed me. The only Swansea player who did impress me was Daniel James, but even i couldn't image Man United would buy him for £15m. 

If McBurnie moved to Sheffield United I'd be surprised if he scored 5 in the EPL.

5 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

With all due respect to the Championship, it's about the same standard as the SPL. If someone scored 24 in the SPL next season no one in English football would notice.

I watched about a dozen or so Swansea matches last season, he never once impressed me. The only Swansea player who did impress me was Daniel James, but even i couldn't image Man United would buy him for £15m. 

If McBurnie moved to Sheffield United I'd be surprised if he scored 5 in the EPL.

It may well be the same standard as the Scottish Premiership, but that's classically very hard to quantify. What's very evident is that they are completely different markets. This weekend in the Hebrides I'll be paying £3 for a pint of the exact same standard as the one I get in my London local for £5. Don't hate the player, hate the market. 

10 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It is what it is.£15m is the going rate for a 23 year old with McBurnie's goals to games ratio in the Championship, plus if you pay any attention to his overall contribution to his current team he might worth £20m to them. Who do you suggest they buy to replace him or for that matter who would you sign instead.

It's about time you realised that football transfers are simply a case of supply and demand. You seem to think that your knowledge of numbers is better than that of those that actually have a say in it.

The money involved in football is surreal but if better players were available cheaper elsewhere they would buy elsewhere, which I think is the bit you have a problem with.The standard of English football is higher than you think.

Hey, i agree, it is what it is... And "it" is undiluted insanity. Growing up £4m was considered a massive transfer fee, now £4m is pretty much an agent's fee.

An example is Duncan Ferguson leaving Dundee United for Rangers for £4m. Oliver McBurnie isn't a patch on Ferguson. I know that times have changed and so have transfer fees, but i wish things were the way they were.

But yeah, i get it. Capitalism is supply and demand and a commodity is worth what someone is willing to buy it for. That being said, Swansea are well within their right to demand what they see as an acceptable fee, same with Celtic with Tierney.

Either McBurnie goes for £4m or £20m or £100m. He's an average player.

I disagree with the last part of your post. Take away the top 6 in the EPL and the rest are Championship level teams.

1 minute ago, mrniaboc said:

Don't hate the player, hate the market.

No. That's like saying the tail wags the dog. If the players (teams) refused to play the market then the asking prices would drop.

Eventually they'll be a cap on transfer fees. There has to be.

As for your beer analogy, you could easily pop into a supermarket and grab a six pack for a fiver.

10 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

No. That's like saying the tail wags the dog. If the players (teams) refused to play the market then the asking prices would drop.

Eventually they'll be a cap on transfer fees. There has to be.

As for your beer analogy, you could easily pop into a supermarket and grab a six pack for a fiver.

I could, but I prefer to go to the pub sometimes, which means I'm gonna have to shell out, and Sheffield Utd known that if they want someone from the English Championship rather than the Scottish Premiership then they will have to shell out. 

The market determines the price. It just so happens that the market has inflated a lot in the last few years which makes it hard for people who've watched football for a long time to make comparisons. But remember, a player (or indeed a pint) has no intrinsic value. Their value is exactly what someone is willing to pay for them and the seller willing to accept, whether that be £15m or 15p.

9 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

It may well be the same standard as the Scottish Premiership, but that's classically very hard to quantify. What's very evident is that they are completely different markets. This weekend in the Hebrides I'll be paying £3 for a pint of the exact same standard as the one I get in my London local for £5. Don't hate the player, hate the market. 

Let me know were you get the £3.00 pint,, in fact let me know were you find one of the same standard.

The scenery and the atmosphere is better mind you.

12 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

a player (or indeed a pint) has no intrinsic value. Their value is exactly what someone is willing to pay for them and the seller willing to accept, whether that be £15m or 15p.

Hey, isn't that what I said? :P

If someone does shell out £20m for him, hopefully that doesn't blur the landscape and make them people think that McBurnie is good.

A few months in the gym would do him good as he's incredibly lightweight for his size. I'd actually say that Leigh Griffiths is stronger than him.

13 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I disagree with the last part of your post. Take away the top 6 in the EPL and the rest are Championship level teams.

I disagree that you disagree with the last part of his post.

Compare Celtics squad to the Squads of  

7. Wolves

8. Everton

9. Leicester

over a league season they would routinely beat Celtics current squad.

theres even argument that 

10. West Ham

11. Watford 

12. Palace

have comparable squads tp the Scottish Champions... 

Note i'm not saying any of the above are "great" teams, but as they dont play competitive games against any Scottish opposition comparing the "standard" of players they have is the best yardstick.

They all have squads full of full internationals for the major nations.

How many of last years Celtic squad played internationals for any of the major nations (outside Scotland).

9 minutes ago, The Golden Vision said:

I disagree that you disagree with the last part of his post.

Compare Celtics squad to the Squads of  

7. Wolves

8. Everton

9. Leicester

over a league season they would routinely beat Celtics current squad.

theres even argument that 

10. West Ham

11. Watford 

12. Palace

have comparable squads tp the Scottish Champions... 

Note i'm not saying any of the above are "great" teams, but as they dont play competitive games against any Scottish opposition comparing the "standard" of players they have is the best yardstick.

They all have squads full of full internationals for the major nations.

How many of last years Celtic squad played internationals for any of the major nations (outside Scotland).

Take out the top 6 in the EPL and the standard is shocking. I don't care how much money they spend in transfer fees and wages, I care not a jot about how many international those teams have. Nothing disguises the fact that the EPL is overrated. You only have to look at the 7th placed team in Europe, each year they get best by teams in poorer leagues.

Teams 7 to 9 would beat Celtic? At parkhead? Not a chance.

Watch the first two televised EPL matches not to involve the top 6 (Sheffield United vs Crystal Palace + Aston Villa vs Everton) and let me know good it was. Looking at it, those look like Championship fixtures, and the standard will look like it, too.

36 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Take out the top 6 in the EPL and the standard is shocking. I don't care how much money they spend in transfer fees and wages, I care not a jot about how many international those teams have. Nothing disguises the fact that the EPL is overrated. You only have to look at the 7th placed team in Europe, each year they get best by teams in poorer leagues.

Watch the first two televised EPL matches not to involve the top 6 (Sheffield United vs Crystal Palace + Aston Villa vs Everton) and let me know good it was. Looking at it, those look like Championship fixtures, and the standard will look like it, too.

Christ didn't know Celtic were that good. Surely their squad would be decimated by EPL clubs by now given the transfer budgets these clubs have.

1 hour ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

If you take out the top 6 in any league then the quality significantly diminishes 

However i wouldn't say the quality is shocking, compare the EPL rest of the league with any other domestic league in the world post top 6 teams and i'd say the EPL is still high 

If you look at West Ham side which Celtic players are starting 11 for West Ham

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Christ didn't know Celtic were that good. Surely their squad would be decimated by EPL clubs by now given the transfer budgets these clubs have.

Or maybe you didn't know the best of the rest of the EPL weren't that bad.

Romanian, Greek and Danish teams have triumphed over the best of the rest in the EPL in recent years, so it's time to stop romanticizing the EPL. There's a reason why the EPL don't produce world class players, it only imports them.