Scottish player transfers - Page 51 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Shame that Adams doesn't want to represent us as he will probably not get a game for England unless he does really well in the epl next season. We are pretty short on decent strikers as well. At least Griffith's is back playing for Celtic.

The question should only be asked once.

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Shame that Adams doesn't want to represent us as he will probably not get a game for England unless he does really well in the epl next season. We are pretty short on decent strikers as well. At least Griffith's is back playing for Celtic.

I think if he had stayed at Birmingham, there is every chance Clarke could have maybe talked him around, but I suspect he has known for a while now that he was going to get a big money transfer this summer (hence he was fast to knock back McLeish during the winter), but this move will certainly give him the chance to show what he can do in the EPL, so IF Clarke was considering approaching him this summer, I think this move is a strong indication of what his answer would be (again.....)

Edited by wanderer

2 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Adidas have made an advert for arsenal's new kit, with Tierney's name on the back of the shirt

Hahaha saw this earlier. I think some Celtic fans must have missed that that's not even his twitter handle never mind his name! It was some jester who won a competition. 

9 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Nurnberg had 500k bid for Greg Taylor rejected. 

Doubt the board thought twice before rejecting that!

There seems to be a steep increase in foreign clubs showing interest in Scots.

Noticed a report the other day that the SPL had the 2nd highest number of transfers in Europe but was still near the bottom in terms of actual money spent. I wonder if this interest in Scottish players may start to affect that?

11 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Nurnberg had 500k bid for Greg Taylor rejected. 

Doubt the board thought twice before rejecting that!

Quite right too.

It could be a cracking move for him if it ever happened though.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Locking horns with David Bates in the German Second Tier would be a great move for a promising young Scot. Still don't get it.

As a nation we are fairly poor at settling abroad.  We are crap at learning new languages and our players rarely last very long.  

I think Greg Taylor is a cracking player and could end up playing for a good team in one of the stronger leagues.  The good thing about going to the second level would be he could have a year 1 or 2 to adapt to both the new culture and the new league. 

Burke struggled with both when he went to RB Leipzig.  Would it have been better if he'd been at a lower level and enjoying his time on the pitch?

Gauld hasn't made the impact we hoped for at one of the top clubs in Portugal.  I wonder how it would have been if he started with a team with lower expectations.  

Liam Henderson will be playing in Serie A next season and a successful first season in Italy.  Would it have worked out so well if he'd gone directly to the top league?

Bates missed out on promotion but worth remembering he joined them before they were relegated. 

Harper could be playing against Barca and Real next season but had to start a division lower - although I realise he isn't the typical Scot abroad. 

Paterson, McGinn and McLean are examples of players starting lower in England and then moving up to the Premiership quite quickly.  

The point I'm trying to make is that there are some benefits to starting a bit lower down when moving to another league.  It's then up to the player to get to the next level - whether that is with a promotion or a transfer to a better team. 

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Locking horns with David Bates in the German Second Tier would be a great move for a promising young Scot. Still don't get it.

Okay, I'd forgotten they'd been relegated.

Even so, if he's on their radar with a view to getting them up - and keeping them up - it could be a great move.

P

9 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Okay, I'd forgotten they'd been relegated.

Even so, if he's on their radar with a view to getting them up - and keeping them up - it could be a great move.

Probably just me but some were along the way I decided Nuremberg were the worst top flight team in Europe.

As you say though it is good to see our players on the radar across Europe but if push came to shove I would prefer to see some of our more established players move to Europe to improve their game rather than youngsters. I think the Gauld and Burke moves are sticking with me.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:22 PM, The_Dark_Knight said:

Arsenal have their latest bid for Tierney rejected:

Believed to be £17.5m straight up with £7.5 in add-ons, depending on European Success, etc.

I'm quite enjoying Celtic being low-balled on this one, as they're getting a taste of their own medicine. The difference is, though, they don't have to sell. Celtic will never accept anything less than a one-off payment of £25m and I can't see any team paying that for a Scottish based Scot.

You've changed your tune. At the start of the year I'm sure no club would pay £15million for a Scottish based Scot.

Celtic are close to announcing the signing of a new left-back, moving Kieran Tierney one step closer to a move away from Glasgow. A £3m deal to bring Boli Bolingoli-Mbombo in from Rapid Vienna is expected in the coming days, with Bhoys boss Neil Lennon describing the transfer as ‘not too far away.’

It's from The Sun, but if true it looks like Tierney will be going, unless Celtic have decided to start spending millions on squad players.More paper talk but Napoli interest has been renewed due to problems with alternative left back targets.

6-1 on for a move to Arsenal mind you, but what do the bookies know

9 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It's from The Sun, but if true it looks like Tierney will be going, unless Celtic have decided to start spending millions on squad players.More paper talk but Napoli interest has been renewed due to problems with alternative left back targets.

Everything is pointing to the way of the exit door for Tierney. Be surprised if he isn't away come the end of the window.

1 minute ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Definitely changed days that Scottish clubs will knock back sums like that.

Good to see though.

Absolutely, theres money to burn in europes big 5 or 6 leagues, if they want our players they ca n pay

16 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Absolutely, theres money to burn in europes big 5 or 6 leagues, if they want our players they ca n pay

Only problem is we will spend most of that money paying the wages of slightly less mediocre non nationals.

Bit of hope in some of it being spent on youth development I suppose.

Shankland joining Dundee United and Ryan Hardie being linked to Blackpool.

Just goes to show how short Scotland are in striking terms, that the aforementioned are on the cusp of Scotland call-ups.

On the subject of Che Adams, hopefully he scores plenty of goals next season, he plays for England in a competitive match and in doing so puts the whole "Adams for Scotland" story to rest. In the process, hopefully a young Scottish striker emerges next season, bangs in the goals, is a natural goal-scorer and whose goal it is to play for Scotland.

58 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Shankland joining Dundee United and Ryan Hardie being linked to Blackpool.

Just goes to show how short Scotland are in striking terms, that the aforementioned are on the cusp of Scotland call-ups.

On the subject of Che Adams, hopefully he scores plenty of goals next season, he plays for England in a competitive match and in doing so puts the whole "Adams for Scotland" story to rest. In the process, hopefully a young Scottish striker emerges next season, bangs in the goals, is a natural goal-scorer and whose goal it is to play for Scotland.

Leigh Griffith's is the option for Scotland striker

If for whatever reason he isn't called up they should maybe give Forrest a try there

The rest just aren't up to scratch

46 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Leigh Griffith's is the option for Scotland striker

If for whatever reason he isn't called up they should maybe give Forrest a try there

The rest just aren't up to scratch

Hornby and Rudden will be our strikers in the nearish  future, Hornby sooner than Rudden. Griffiths number one next season, hopefully.

The Kieran Tierney saga is a strange one. A day doesn't go by where the media doesn't say that Napoli are preparing a bid, but they never have. I think it's Tierney's agent trying to prompt Arsenal into making a move. Arsenal are about to bid £22m.

I don't understand why Arsenal are dragging their feet on this one. What next, are they going to eventually offer £24, 999,999.99m?

Arsenal made £140m last season and yet they're quibbling over £5m. Bloody hell.

A new twist is that Real Madrid's Marcelo is available. If they can get him for £25m-£50m they'll probably opt for him over Tierney.