Scottish player transfers - Page 50 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

Arsenal have their latest bid for Tierney rejected:

Believed to be £17.5m straight up with £7.5 in add-ons, depending on European Success, etc.

I'm quite enjoying Celtic being low-balled on this one, as they're getting a taste of their own medicine. The difference is, though, they don't have to sell. Celtic will never accept anything less than a one-off payment of £25m and I can't see any team paying that for a Scottish based Scot.

12 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

What’s the point in mentioning the Burnley v Olympiacos score? Olympiacos finished second in the Greek league and Burnley were 15th or 16th in the EPL last season. I’m sure Olympiacos would have pumped a team that finished near the bottom of the French or Italian leagues last year. 

You’re picking and choosing results that suit your argument. 

It’s a well known fact that top European sides (including top English teams) don’t normally take the Europa League seriously until around the quarter finals and tend to play younger players to give them European experience. Why would you argue against that? Everybody knows it. 

The EPL is a similar standard as the Italian, Spanish and German leagues and is better than the French League. Most sane people with a good knowledge of football can see that. If you disagree that’s fine but why use one season’s worth of Europa League results (a tournament that featured 2 English teams in the final) as evidence of how poor the EPL is?

Keep up the good work Chripper. 

Isn't that the point, though? Burnley received £103.4m for finishing 15th. To be honest, receiving that kind of money for the past 3 or 4 years they should be able to beat even the champions of Greece quite comfortably.

No I'm not.

OK. I picked two teams (at random) who got the knock-out stages of the Europa League 18/19:  Rennes and Valencia.

Valencia's first match in Group H was against Juventus and their last match In the knock-out stages was against Arsenal. Five of the team were the same. But you have to factor in suspensions, injuries, lack of form, etc.

Rennes first match in Jablenec and their last match in the knock-out stages was against Arsenal. Seven of the players were the same.

12 players out of a possible 22 is pretty gosh darn conclusive (If you include suspensions, injuries, lack of form, good form, etc) that teams do take the Europa League seriously.

I didn't use one season's worth of Europa league results as evidence of bad the EPL is. I used 3 out of the past 4 seasons. A Greek team, a Romanian team and a Danish team have all had English scalps in those years, against English teams that pretty much finished in the top 7, might I add.

9 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Isn't that the point, though? Burnley received £103.4m for finishing 15th. To be honest, receiving that kind of money for the past 3 or 4 years they should be able to beat even the champions of Greece quite comfortably.

No I'm not.

OK. I picked two teams (at random) who got the knock-out stages of the Europa League 18/19:  Rennes and Valencia.

Valencia's first match in Group H was against Juventus and their last match In the knock-out stages was against Arsenal. Five of the team were the same. But you have to factor in suspensions, injuries, lack of form, etc.

Rennes first match in Jablenec and their last match in the knock-out stages was against Arsenal. Seven of the players were the same.

12 players out of a possible 22 is pretty gosh darn conclusive (If you include suspensions, injuries, lack of form, good form, etc) that teams do take the Europa League seriously.

I didn't use one season's worth of Europa league results as evidence of bad the EPL is. I used 3 out of the past 4 seasons. A Greek team, a Romanian team and a Danish team have all had English scalps in those years, against English teams that pretty much finished in the top 7, might I add.

Everton gave starts to 27 different players in their last Europa cup appearance and 28 in their appearance before that. Guess they played their first team in one of their games.................maybe.

Arsenal had just as big a turnover, Maybe they just don't know their first team either

Edited by ceudmilefailte

7 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Is it April Fool's day?

According to The Sun (I know) Manchester United are being linked to John McGinn. That isn't all, apparently McGinn is worth £50m.

If this is true English football has finally gone mad, with no help of recovery.

He seems to be rated highly by everyone except Scotland fans.

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

Scotland fans rate him but his performances haven't always been great for us. He's not man utd class imo but he is a good midfielder who could do well in the epl. 50m is madness tbf.

8 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Is it April Fool's day?

According to The Sun (I know) Manchester United are being linked to John McGinn. That isn't all, apparently McGinn is worth £50m.

If this is true English football has finally gone mad, with no help of recovery.

25 mill for Tierney but 50 mill for McGinn, has the world gone completely bonkers? Probably when Wan Bissaka goes for 50.

Like a kids game of monopoly.

English papers talking about Matt Targett and Che Adams moving for combined fees of well over £30 million. Both players are eligible for us. Think it says more about state of English clubs finances than anything else. I'm sure if most of us thought which Scottish forward and left back were worth that much that those two names would not be the first to crop up.

2 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

25 mill for Tierney but 50 mill for McGinn, has the world gone completely bonkers? Probably when Wan Bissaka goes for 50.

Like a kids game of monopoly.

I think it also seems like Arsenal and Man Utd are playing in different leagues at the moment in terms of money. Reports suggest that Arsenal have got a transfer budget of £40million which is peanuts in terms of the top EPL standards. So their offer for Tierney is limited by that rather than comparisons with other players. 

Man Utd are so desperate they are throwing money away. If OGS decided he needed a new left back and liked Tierney I'm sure they'd have problem with a £30 million bid.

As for McGinn, I still can't believe that report. Even if it was true I think he's better off where he is. Seems very happy, playing alongside good players and the expectation isn't massive.

8 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I think it also seems like Arsenal and Man Utd are playing in different leagues at the moment in terms of money. Reports suggest that Arsenal have got a transfer budget of £40million which is peanuts in terms of the top EPL standards. So their offer for Tierney is limited by that rather than comparisons with other players. 

Man Utd are so desperate they are throwing money away. If OGS decided he needed a new left back and liked Tierney I'm sure they'd have problem with a £30 million bid.

As for McGinn, I still can't believe that report. Even if it was true I think he's better off where he is. Seems very happy, playing alongside good players and the expectation isn't massive.

I’m skeptical of the report, but Man Utd could do with someone who fights for every ball. It would lift the other players. It’s a malaise they’re suffering from rather than lack of talent. They could do worse than sign Tierney as well. 

11 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Is it April Fool's day?

Here’s a word of advice that was passed down to me from my dad about 35 years ago:

Never believe anything you read in The Sun. 

This advice has served me well over the years. 

There may be some truth in the rumour but I won’t believe it until it has been reported by a reliable source.

I can believe that Man U or a similar sized club might be interested in McGinn though. He went to Villa and pretty much became their best player overnight and made a huge contribution to their promotion. He will need to cut out the silly mistakes if he wants to make it at a top team though. 

As for £50 million, I can almost guarantee that figure has been bandied about by McGinn’s agent. Either that or The Sun has made it up. 

5 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Because he has a frustrating regular habit of making an excellent long forward pass and then two minutes later fucking up a short pass and giving it to to the opposition. His tackling can be a bit dodgy too.

On 6/28/2019 at 10:22 PM, The_Dark_Knight said:

Arsenal have their latest bid for Tierney rejected:

Believed to be £17.5m straight up with £7.5 in add-ons, depending on European Success, etc.

I'm quite enjoying Celtic being low-balled on this one, as they're getting a taste of their own medicine. The difference is, though, they don't have to sell. Celtic will never accept anything less than a one-off payment of £25m and I can't see any team paying that for a Scottish based Scot.

Given the state of finances in England, you can see why Celtic want at least £25m for him. The problem is that English clubs will know that £20m+ would make a huge difference to a club like Celtic given the lack of TV revenue compared to England - particularly given that Celtic didn't get into the CL group stages last season. Clubs in the English Championship (ones without EPL parachute payments) get double the TV revenue of an Scottish Premiership club. Within the context, English clubs can offer way less for a player from Scotland than they would for a comparable player in the English Championship.

23 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Here’s a word of advice that was passed down to me from my dad about 35 years ago:

Never believe anything you read in The Sun. 

This advice has served me well over the years. 

There may be some truth in the rumour but I won’t believe it until it has been reported by a reliable source.

I can believe that Man U or a similar sized club might be interested in McGinn though. He went to Villa and pretty much became their best player overnight and made a huge contribution to their promotion. He will need to cut out the silly mistakes if he wants to make it at a top team though. 

As for £50 million, I can almost guarantee that figure has been bandied about by McGinn’s agent. Either that or The Sun has made it up. 

The journalist who has come up with the story has really good contacts at Championship level and below, and is usually on the money. I don't think he's got any stories remotely correct about Man Utd though so I don't think there is any truth to this.

There is more noise from reliable journos surrounding United going for Longstaff at Newcastle, and the suggestion is that he would be cheaper than the figure being quoted for McGinn.

On 6/30/2019 at 9:40 AM, Hertsscot said:

English papers talking about Matt Targett and Che Adams moving for combined fees of well over £30 million. Both players are eligible for us. Think it says more about state of English clubs finances than anything else. I'm sure if most of us thought which Scottish forward and left back were worth that much that those two names would not be the first to crop up.

Southampton just signed Adams for £15m on a 5 year deal.

Got my doubts he will switch to us though (and I think this move will just about kill any chance for the foreseeable future) as he has already rejected (at least) 2 approaches made already.

Targett is a left-back these days (though I think he did start out as a CB) which I do not think we are in any real cry out for these days.

Edited by wanderer

24 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Southampton just signed Adams for £15m on a 5 year deal.

Got my doubts he will switch to us though (and I think this move will just about kill any chance for the foreseeable future) as he has already rejected (at least) 2 approaches made already.

Targett is a left-back these days (though I think he did start out as a CB) which I do not think we are in any real cry out for these days.

Shame that Adams doesn't want to represent us as he will probably not get a game for England unless he does really well in the epl next season. We are pretty short on decent strikers as well. At least Griffith's is back playing for Celtic.