Scottish player transfers - Page 49 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

The exact same thing can be said about the two leagues you’ve mentioned. In fact, Spain is arguably worse in that they only have 4 massive teams with the rest being mediocre to pish. Italy isn’t much better.

England would be a great move for Tierney  as long as it’s one of the top teams he goes to. 

I've just checked the Europa league history, French clubs, Italian clubs or Spanish clubs have never gotten beat over two legs by teams from lesser leagues. For it to happen 3 out of 4 years (and it's probably been streakier, but I haven't checked) to EPL clubs is rather embarrassing.

The majority of the "B" clubs in La Liga would beat their EPL counterparts. 

It's the snobbery from those in England that annoy me, though. I bet there are many people in England would think Tierney couldn't cut it in the EPL. Yeah, because facing Norwich and Sheffield United, etc, you have to be Messi....

Hopefully Napoli offer £25m and it'll end the speculation.

8 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I've just checked the Europa league history, French clubs, Italian clubs or Spanish clubs have never gotten beat over two legs by teams from lesser leagues. For it to happen 3 out of 4 years (and it's probably been streakier, but I haven't checked) to EPL clubs is rather embarrassing.

The majority of the "B" clubs in La Liga would beat their EPL counterparts. 

It's the snobbery from those in England that annoy me, though. I bet there are many people in England would think Tierney couldn't cut it in the EPL. Yeah, because facing Norwich and Sheffield United, etc, you have to be Messi....

Hopefully Napoli offer £25m and it'll end the speculation.

The French League is certainly not better than the English league and the Italian and Spanish leagues are of a similar standard to the English premier, regardless of what has happened in the Europa League in recent seasons. 

I think a move to any of the top European leagues would be good for Tierney as long as he can break into whichever team he moves to (which I’m sure he would). 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The French League is certainly not better than the English league and the Italian and Spanish leagues are of a similar standard to the English premier, regardless of what has happened in the Europa League in recent seasons. 

I think a move to any of the top European leagues would be good for Tierney as long as he can break into whichever team he moves to (which I’m sure he would). 

Per-head, the French, Italian and Spanish leagues are probably better than the EPL as a whole. I watch a lot of those leagues, take out the top teams from each of those leagues, leaving the rest to play each other, the EPL teams would fill the bottom half of the league.

Agreed.

Honestly? I don't see him moving from Celtic, ever. He's not the type of player to "go on strike" like Paul Pogba is allegedly going to in order to engineer a move, and no team will pay what Celtic want. And I don't think he'd run his contract out, leaving Celtic for nothing, as he has more respect for them than that. 

If he does move to the EPL it won't be to Arsenal, at least not this season. They have a limited budget and there's very little chance they'll blow most of it on an SPL player.

5 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Per-head, the French, Italian and Spanish leagues are probably better than the EPL as a whole. I watch a lot of those leagues, take out the top teams from each of those leagues, leaving the rest to play each other, the EPL teams would fill the bottom half of the league.

Agreed.

Honestly? I don't see him moving from Celtic, ever. He's not the type of player to "go on strike" like Paul Pogba is allegedly going to in order to engineer a move, and no team will pay what Celtic want. And I don't think he'd run his contract out, leaving Celtic for nothing, as he has more respect for them than that. 

If he does move to the EPL it won't be to Arsenal, at least not this season. They have a limited budget and there's very little chance they'll blow most of it on an SPL player.

I won’t argue about the Italian and Spanish leagues but the French League is pretty poor outwith PSG, Marseille and Lyon etc and only PSG could compete with the top 4 in England. The Bundesliga is better than the French League in my opinion. 

If Arsenal are willing to offer £18m then I’m sure they could stretch to £25m of they really want Tierney. I’m sure Celtic would let him go for that but as you say does Tierney want to leave Celtic? Difficult to say. 

I've never really understood this argument of taking the big teams out of a league to compare them with other leagues. The strength and depth of a league is defined by its big teams, and at the moment the EPL has about 6 really good teams. That's more than any of the other leagues. So anyone in that league is getting more regularly tested at a higher level by playing against those teams. I agree that historically the EPL has not been the top league, but it's very likely it is right now. 

But none of that matters so long as Tierney just goes to a real top team in any country soon. Then I'll be chuffed. 

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I won’t argue about the Italian and Spanish leagues but the French League is pretty poor outwith PSG, Marseille and Lyon etc and only PSG could compete with the top 4 in England. The Bundesliga is better than the French League in my opinion. 

If Arsenal are willing to offer £18m then I’m sure they could stretch to £25m of they really want Tierney. I’m sure Celtic would let him go for that but as you say does Tierney want to leave Celtic? Difficult to say. 

I'm not talking about the top 4/6. I'm talking about the rest of the teams.

A league is only as strong as the entire league. That being the case, the EPL isn't the best, not even close, in my opinions.

Apparently Arsenal are now willing to raise it to £19m today. To honest, I don't think they want to set a precedent by teams offering big money for SPL players. It seems that way.

13 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

For some weird reason English based pundits and fans think that all twenty teams in the EPL are world class, therefore, you have to be world class to be able to play against them: Wolves, West Ham, Norwich, Sheffield United, Southampton, Newcastle, Watford, Crystal Palace, Burnley, Aston Villa, Brighton, Leicester, Everton aren't exactly massive clubs who do anything in Europe.

Just last season Burnley got knocked out of the play off stages of the Europa league by mighty Greek team Olympiacos, the season before last Everton were knocked out during the group stages. a year before that West Ham went the same was as Burnley when they got knocked out at the play off stages by the mighty Romanian team Astra Giurgiu, a year earlier than that Southampton got beat at the play off stages by Denmark's Midtjylland.

So, in three out of the previous four seasons EPL clubs have failed to reach the group stages of the Europa League because of a Greek club, a Romanian club and a Danish club. 

Why does everyone rate the EPL so highly? Yes, the top 6 are awesome and mega rich, but the other 14 teams are rather mediocre, and for the money that they generate, they ought to be embarrassed.

Honestly, I'd rather he went to La Liga or Serie A. 

Do English clubs play their first teams in the Europa league? Don't bother checking.

7 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I'm not talking about the top 4/6. I'm talking about the rest of the teams.

A league is only as strong as the entire league. That being the case, the EPL isn't the best, not even close, in my opinions.

Apparently Arsenal are now willing to raise it to £19m today. To honest, I don't think they want to set a precedent by teams offering big money for SPL players. It seems that way.

I understand that but I don't agree.

I wouldn't say the bottom 10 clubs in France are any better than the bottom 10 clubs in the EPL. I'm not saying there's a huge gulf between the two leagues but when you factor in the top teams (which you should when determining the standard of a league) then the EPL is better.

I would rather a Scottish player played in a league that had 6 big teams to test him self against  (or 5 other ones if he goes to a top team) than 1 big team.

3 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Turnbull's move to Celtic off again now as the medical showed he needs surgery and will be out for a lengthy period.

It's a real shame for the lad. I hope all of this doesn't disrupt his progression. He clearly has something special. 

12 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I think there were a bunch of other academy players starting the game? 

Which game? Against the galacticos of Quarabag? Maybe one or two. But Arsenal had already qualified for the knock-out stages by that point.

I'm not talking about Arsenal, as they got to the final. If anyone thinks that they got to the final, beating the likes of Valencia and Napoli on the way, good luck with your recovery. And yes, Burnely, et al, used their first team players, and were beaten by teams from comparatively poor leagues.

24 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Which game? Against the galacticos of Quarabag? Maybe one or two. But Arsenal had already qualified for the knock-out stages by that point.

I'm not talking about Arsenal, as they got to the final. If anyone thinks that they got to the final, beating the likes of Valencia and Napoli on the way, with their academy players,, good luck with your recovery. And yes, Burnely, et al, used their first team players, and were beaten by teams from comparatively poor leagues.

Edit.

It's sad that people are using two Scottish players (Gilmour and Hornby) as examples of teams playing bad players in the Europa League.

But yes, English teams generally play their strongest teams in Europe. I find it rather strange and unnerving that people are giving the English *lesser* teams excuses for their failures in Europe by suggesting that they don't take European matches seriously. Last season Burnley played their strongest team over two legs (as they did against Aberdeen when they sneaked through) over Olympiacos and got beat 4:1.

25 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

It's sad that people are using two Scottish players (Gilmour and Hornby) as examples of teams playing bad players in the Europa League.

But yes, English teams generally play their strongest teams in Europe. I find it rather strange and unnerving that people are giving the English *lesser* teams excuses for their failures in Europe by suggesting that they don't take European matches seriously. Last season Burnley played their strongest team over two legs (as they did against Aberdeen when they sneaked through) over Olympiacos and got beat 4:1.

What’s the point in mentioning the Burnley v Olympiacos score? Olympiacos finished second in the Greek league and Burnley were 15th or 16th in the EPL last season. I’m sure Olympiacos would have pumped a team that finished near the bottom of the French or Italian leagues last year. 

You’re picking and choosing results that suit your argument. 

It’s a well known fact that top European sides (including top English teams) don’t normally take the Europa League seriously until around the quarter finals and tend to play younger players to give them European experience. Why would you argue against that? Everybody knows it. 

The EPL is a similar standard as the Italian, Spanish and German leagues and is better than the French League. Most sane people with a good knowledge of football can see that. If you disagree that’s fine but why use one season’s worth of Europa League results (a tournament that featured 2 English teams in the final) as evidence of how poor the EPL is?

Keep up the good work Chripper. 

35 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Shut up and check your other examples none of them played their top teams. Cherry picking as usual.