Scottish player transfers - Page 47 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

15 hours ago, Kirk said:

Must have missed that?

Yeah. I like to try to tether Rangers in whenever I diss Celtic (and vice versa), as people here have a tendency to infer that a person is a fan of either half of the Old Firm if you diss only one of them. To combat that, I diss both clubs simultaneously, even if the other has no relevance to what I'm saying.

13 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Because Steven Gerrard isn't remotely interested in giving Scottish players a chance ?

Think it's because they have great potential and could generate a Van Dyke -type sell-on fee.  Josh McPake is a number 10 on their books whom SG rates highly and there is a promising right back (forget his name).

4 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Celtic want £25m. They're loaded, so I don't think they'd accept a penny less than £25m.

There is no chance a club will pay £25 for a Scottish player based in Scotland. Hell, clubs are balking at offering £30m for an established EPL player (Ryan Fraser). Like it or not, there's a stigma about Scottish players, especially ones plying their trade in Scotland.

I thought transfer fees were also dictated by what the earnings of a player are at the selling club?

29 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Think it's because they have great potential and could generate a Van Dyke -type sell-on fee.  Josh McPake is a number 10 on their books whom SG rates highly and there is a promising right back (forget his name).

Leon king is the young defender you're thinking of . Highly rated.  Played for Scotland under 17s at 14 years old 

6 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Celtic want £25m. They're loaded, so I don't think they'd accept a penny less than £25m.

There is no chance a club will pay £25 for a Scottish player based in Scotland. Hell, clubs are balking at offering £30m for an established EPL player (Ryan Fraser). Like it or not, there's a stigma about Scottish players, especially ones plying their trade in Scotland.

I tend to agree with you on this one Chripper, though I'm not sure it's as much of a stigma about the players rather than clubs just knowing they can get away with bargain prices. Like Greggs sausage rolls are brilliant and everyone knows that, but you wouldn't pay more than a pound for one. 

Anyway, I hope Celtic hold out a bit and Tierney, Fraser, and Robbo can be the trio that changes this pattern for good. 

15 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Because Steven Gerrard isn't remotely interested in giving Scottish players a chance ?

I'm not sure that's fair. Last season was depressing from a Scotland point of view but I've held out the hope that the first season was about getting established and then building his club. This is still just hope but he's bought Hastie and he has youngsters that he rates. If he doesn't give those youngsters a chance this season then I'd be disgusted.

I think he can be judged this season.

16 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I tend to agree with you on this one Chripper, though I'm not sure it's as much of a stigma about the players rather than clubs just knowing they can get away with bargain prices. Like Greggs sausage rolls are brilliant and everyone knows that, but you wouldn't pay more than a pound for one. 

Anyway, I hope Celtic hold out a bit and Tierney, Fraser, and Robbo can be the trio that changes this pattern for good. 

I think the tide is turning a bit.

There are now quite a few players that have left Scotland fairly cheaply and performed well in stronger league. The likes of Ki, McArthur, Forster, Wanyama and Ledley showed that there was value in shopping in Scotland, not to mention the players that left Ibrox in 2012.

The outstanding performances of Fraser, Robertson and Van Djik has meant clubs are really looking more closely at what might be available. Dembélé is also being lined up for a move back to England at a much higher price than he left Scotland for. 

It is no surprise that clubs are interested in the likes of Tierney, McGregor, Ntcham, Forrest and French Eddy. Morelos would be too if he wasn't a complete lunatic.  

3 hours ago, noctonjock said:

Leon king is the young defender you're thinking of . Highly rated.  Played for Scotland under 17s at 14 years old 

There is also a right back who’s a dead ringer for Alan Hutton in style. Nathan Patterson is his name. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

11 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

A new one? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48731196

Arsenal are optimistic of signing Celtic defender Kieran Tierney, despite having a bid rejected for the Scotland international.

The Premier League club had a £15m approach turned down by the Scottish champions but are expected to return with an improved offer.

Arsenal do not expect personal terms to be a stumbling block.

Tierney has only played sporadically this year because of a hernia problem and is recuperating from surgery.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48732772

Erm yes Pat, arsenal are a big enough club for Tierney 

It does seem like a ridiculous comment at first glance which is not unusual from Packie Bonner but I suppose he means Arsenal won’t be in the Champions League or competing for the league next year and he (and possibly Tierney as well) thinks he should be playing at the same level as Andy Robertson.

That could all change in a year or two though. I think it would be a good move for him. 

16 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Celtic back in for McKenna. Well according to the Sun..

If true, the it looks like Lennon is trying to build his team around young Scottish players.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48729611

Not sure I would shell out 5m for McKenna especially if I was Celtic. It's alot of money for Celtic whereas some English teams can afford to pay that for potential. He's impressed me alot but he often has howlers and I wouldn't pay much more than 3m for him. 

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not sure I would shell out 5m for McKenna especially if I was Celtic. It's alot of money for Celtic whereas some English teams can afford to pay that for potential. He's impressed me alot but he often has howlers and I wouldn't pay much more than 3m for him. 

How much did they pay for Hendry? 1 Million? Think McKenna is at least 5 times the player Hendry is.

Know it doesn't work like that but Celtic do need a commanding centre half. and if he cuts out the mistakes you refer to then he could become a valuable player for club and more importantly country.

32 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

How much did they pay for Hendry? 1 Million? Think McKenna is at least 5 times the player Hendry is.

Know it doesn't work like that but Celtic do need a commanding centre half. and if he cuts out the mistakes you refer to then he could become a valuable player for club and more importantly country.

McKenna is a decent cb but 5m is alot to pay for him, Celtic can't really justify spending that kind of money for an Aberdeen player unless he's really outstanding. English clubs have money to burn and I could see him moving to a big championship club. Hendry isn't a great benchmark tbf, he's not done brilliant at Celtic although the way Celtic fans slag him you would think he was the worst cb ever. The games I watched hendry play for Celtic he done well and wasn't at fault for the goals they conceded but for some reason Celtic fans have made him a scapegoat and now continually slag him and constantly make out he's awful. Anyways regarding McKenna I hope he gets a move that can benefit his career as there is some ability there and he is only 22 but I can't see Celtic paying more than 5m for him.

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

McKenna is a decent cb but 5m is alot to pay for him, Celtic can't really justify spending that kind of money for an Aberdeen player unless he's really outstanding. English clubs have money to burn and I could see him moving to a big championship club. Hendry isn't a great benchmark tbf, he's not done brilliant at Celtic although the way Celtic fans slag him you would think he was the worst cb ever. The games I watched hendry play for Celtic he done well and wasn't at fault for the goals they conceded but for some reason Celtic fans have made him a scapegoat and now continually slag him and constantly make out he's awful. Anyways regarding McKenna I hope he gets a move that can benefit his career as there is some ability there and he is only 22 but I can't see Celtic paying more than 5m for him.

I’m not sure English Championship clubs have any more money to burn than Celtic. Celtic have made a small fortune over the last couple of years. Their board is just cheap. 

Celtic have every right to kick out any bid that falls short of their valuation. £25m for Tierney is a very fair price for the lad, I'd be making sure a nice 10% sell on fee was added into the contract clause too. I just wish he was a natural right back