Scottish player transfers - Page 40 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Bollocks. 

Robertson is nowhere near the finished article at the moment as I think he’ll still get better but he was no more than a better than average player before he went to Liverpool and Klopp got a hold of him. 

Something similar could happen to Tierney.  

Utter nonsense.

48 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Utter nonsense.

Hull have a lot of fantastic players do they?

Robertson did very well at Hull but he didn’t walk straight into the Liverpool team. Klopp did a shit load of work with him before he considered him a first team player. 

32 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Hull have a lot of fantastic players do they?

Robertson did very well at Hull but he didn’t walk straight into the Liverpool team. Klopp did a shit load of work with him before he considered him a first team player. 

And a top 6 club sloshing around in all that cash, one that can whip out their cheque book and buy any finished article that takes their fancy, don't buy just better than average players they need to do a shit load of work on.

I agree that Klopp has been amazing for Andy though.  I was starting to wonder if AR could actually go even further but then how do you top winning the CL?

11 minutes ago, daviebee said:

And a top 6 club sloshing around in all that cash, one that can whip out their cheque book and buy any finished article that takes their fancy, don't buy just better than average players they need to do a shit load of work on.

I agree that Klopp has been amazing for Andy though.  I was starting to wonder if AR could actually go even further but then how do you top winning the CL?

They kind of do do that. All the time. 

Robertson was playing to a better than average standard (Hull were an average team at the time). Liverpool’s scouts and/or manager saw potential in him and bought him for £10 million which is a bargain in England. 

If it didn’t work out they’d have sold him for a small loss. If Liverpool were to sell Robertson now they’d probably quadruple their money. 

I’ve seen a couple of interviews with Klopp where he talks about how raw Robertson was and how he (and his coaches) has moulded him into a more complete player. 

4 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Better standard of league, but they still had the ability to go further. Hell, they both won next to fuck all for their clubs. Would anyone slander them for their decision of being 1 club* players? Would they buggery.

*Less to De Rossi now that he's been punted.

Roma was in champions league pretty much every year for a long spell with those two playing for them.

Celtic rarely make CL anymore so different argument. The Roma two did test themselves at the highest level for Roma, Tierney isn't.

Edited by Tartan Chris

On 6/7/2019 at 4:00 PM, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Its blatantly obvious he should be playing in the famous blue of Leicester (or Everton) next season and fighting for a glorious 7th place finish in the PL instead of something insignificant like being a large part of potentially one of Celtic's biggest achievements in their history. Madness. On his part.

but disingenuous there, when you know fine well what the point was. Robertson doesn't get to Liverpool without first taking that next step to Hull.  Virgil doens't get there either without that next step to Southampton. It would be part of Tierneys development IF he wants to get to that next level......IF.

I'm arguing it only on the individuals players development point of view. IF he's more concerned about Scottish League titles then thats his choice.

I understand a Celtic fans perspective as what else are they going to win. but not really from a players perspective.

46 minutes ago, The Golden Vision said:

but disingenuous there, when you know fine well what the point was. Robertson doesn't get to Liverpool without first taking that next step to Hull.  Virgil doens't get there either without that next step to Southampton. It would be part of Tierneys development IF he wants to get to that next level......IF.

I'm arguing it only on the individuals players development point of view. IF he's more concerned about Scottish League titles then thats his choice.

I understand a Celtic fans perspective as what else are they going to win. but not really from a players perspective.

Fair enough but he has just turned 22. There is every chance that he could satisfy everyone's demands.....stay at Celtic to hopefully win the league for the next 2 seasons and then leave having just turned 24 to further develop his career elsewhere. Thats easily a potential 10 years elsewhere, a long time.

It doesn't have to be one or the other but from the way some people are talking, you would think his career will be finished come August if he is still a Celtic player.  Some halfwit was even saying he was mentally weak because he wasn't going to leave.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:31 PM, Tartan Chris said:

Roma was in champions league pretty much every year for a long spell with those two playing for them.

Celtic rarely make CL anymore so different argument. The Roma two did test themselves at the highest level for Roma, Tierney isn't.

You make a solid point...except any time they've went into the latter stages they've had their arses handed to them. Roma have had results in the Champions League that would rival Celtics worst. Again, they won next to bugger all for Roma when they both had the ability to win a bucketload.

3 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Fair enough but he has just turned 22. There is every chance that he could satisfy everyone's demands.....stay at Celtic to hopefully win the league for the next 2 seasons and then leave having just turned 24 to further develop his career elsewhere. Thats easily a potential 10 years elsewhere, a long time.

It doesn't have to be one or the other but from the way some people are talking, you would think his career will be finished come August if he is still a Celtic player.  Some halfwit was even saying he was mentally weak because he wasn't going to leave.

fair point as well. Its definitely not "Now or Never"...

But I would think its the "Sooner the Better"   in terms of getting to work with better players and coaches. Footballers have a short career, it wouldn't be the first time a player doesn't come back the same after an operation.

They need to take every chance they get.

and that half wit was probably me.....just my opinion. Its the safe option to stay at Celtic for him. the real challenge and risk would be to move. he could always come back.

19 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

Crystal Palace wanting £65m for Wan-Bissaka...ridiculous.

From what I've seen he has the same potential as Tierney with less experience.

Stupid money in EPL

This is the thing that makes me worry that Fraser will be stuck at Bournemouth.
Hazard's a 130-150 million player. Fraser's 2nd in assists, one behind him for a much worse club. His value's got to be at least 40 million in that market, and I don't see anyone actually paying that for him. The only upside is that is contract is up next summer. but it does mean he's unlikely to get his big move this window.

56 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

Crystal Palace wanting £65m for Wan-Bissaka...ridiculous.

From what I've seen he has the same potential as Tierney with less experience.

Stupid money in EPL

I totally agree its ridiculous and the amount has no real basis in reality, other than its a case of take the last summers big transfer fee for a defender and add 10%.

But I will say its not a like for like comparison with Tierney.

Wan-Bissaka will qualify as a Home grown player for an English team, given how rare they are these days. I would say that adds a premium of about 20% of that value.

In that Man City, Man U, Spurs etc are forced to pay slightly more for "quality" English players than players from the ROW.

rightly or wrongly no EPL team is going to pay £50m+ for any player in the SPL. They shop here for potential and value. over that amount is spent on proven quality in England, Spain or France.

It's also a vicious circle in England at the moment. The TV deal they have means that teams like Palace no longer need to sell their best players and can play hard ball with anyone wanting to buy.

They also know when they look to buy to replace the player they have sold, the other team will be doing the same because they don't need to sell either.

Even English clubs buying from abroad have problems as other clubs just look at them as a cash cow that can be milked. They brag about how much money is in their game, but this is the result.

The chance to prove yourself on the world scene. Be a potential global star or a Celtic legend only revered within the club's supporters or a player rated as one of the elite of the world rated by fans across the globe. Those are the choices open to Tierney. 

It is a bit like, say Scott Brown. In his pomp was rated highly by Scotland fans and seen as a Celtic legend but you simply cannot put him any higher as he never played at a major tournament for Scotland and never ventured outside the SPL. The same fate awaits Kieran Tierney.

20 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The chance to prove yourself on the world scene. Be a potential global star or a Celtic legend only revered within the club's supporters or a player rated as one of the elite of the world rated by fans across the globe. Those are the choices open to Tierney. 

It is a bit like, say Scott Brown. In his pomp was rated highly by Scotland fans and seen as a Celtic legend but you simply cannot put him any higher as he never played at a major tournament for Scotland and never ventured outside the SPL. The same fate awaits Kieran Tierney.

He only turned 22 last week, even if he stayed until 10IAR he'd only be 24.

Hardly wasting your career.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He only turned 22 last week, even if he stayed until 10IAR he'd only be 24.

Hardly wasting your career.

Correct but scott Brown never spread his wings either. It is not out of the question that Tierney will do the same or fade into obscurity becoming less attractive transfer target elsewhere.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

12 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

You make a solid point...except any time they've went into the latter stages they've had their arses handed to them. Roma have had results in the Champions League that would rival Celtics worst. Again, they won next to bugger all for Roma when they both had the ability to win a bucketload.

Yeah I accept that but they were still playing for their hometown team in one of the best leagues in the world. Don't forget both won the world cup in 2006 so I'd say that probably lessened the need for both to win stuff at club level (Totti won serie a in 2001 aswell).

It's different to Tierney given Celtic aren't hugely competitive in europe anymore.

8 hours ago, andyD said:

This is the thing that makes me worry that Fraser will be stuck at Bournemouth.
Hazard's a 130-150 million player. Fraser's 2nd in assists, one behind him for a much worse club. His value's got to be at least 40 million in that market, and I don't see anyone actually paying that for him. The only upside is that is contract is up next summer. but it does mean he's unlikely to get his big move this window.

Fraser only has 12 months left on his deal so Bournemouth will have to sell at some stage this summer.

Healthy sell on clause for the arabs I'd imagine.