Scottish player transfers - Page 32 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

2 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Celtic have had plenty raided over last 5 years, VVD, Wanyama, Armstrong all moved down and you also had Dembele going to Lyon (linked to Man. United today) so don't think that's an issue at all and there's obviously plenty of teams scouting Tierney. Not sure a CL team will take him but Leicester or Everton would be good move for him.

Jeck and I were discussing the Scottish contingent at Celtic. Armstrong was mentioned but he is struggling to get game time.

Just now, ceudmilefailte said:

I know he is now but do you not agree that he has been a bit too loyal to Aberdeen but this loyalty has stalled his progress 

Not at all, he took a step up from ICT to Aberdeen and has seen out what will be four years with Aberdeen when he leaves. I don't think he was ever linked with a move away or there were ever any bids for him. 

Shinnie and Tierney's situations are not comparable IMO. Shinnie is 27, he moved from ICT at 23 and is now going to go to what will likely be his biggest pay day. Tierney is only 21 and started his career with the best team in Scotland. 

10 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I think he'll be gone by 10IAR at the very latest.

Time will tell, every now and then a player remains at one club for all or most of their career. If Tierney stayed he would eventually become club captain and one of the highest earners and he will be adored by 1000s. That might the dream come true for him.

I would rather he did take on a big club in England, if we look at this positively we could have 4 players playing for top 6 teams soon

7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Not at all, he took a step up from ICT to Aberdeen and has seen out what will be four years with Aberdeen when he leaves. I don't think he was ever linked with a move away or there were ever any bids for him. 

Shinnie and Tierney's situations are not comparable IMO. Shinnie is 27, he moved from ICT at 23 and is now going to go to what will likely be his biggest pay day. Tierney is only 21 and started his career with the best team in Scotland. 

You will know more than I do, but I would find it strange if no Championship team has come in for him in the past. I am quite sure that you and other Aberdeen fans have thought him good enough.

56 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Time will tell, every now and then a player remains at one club for all or most of their career. If Tierney stayed he would eventually become club captain and one of the highest earners and he will be adored by 1000s. That might the dream come true for him.

I would rather he did take on a big club in England, if we look at this positively we could have 4 players playing for top 6 teams soon

I think if he does 10IAR he'll have done as much as he possibly could with Celtic.

I know he's a dyed in the wool Celtic fan (his dad goes on the same bus as my mate) but I don't think he's daft. Paul McStay stayed at Celtic for example but back then the gulf in finance/standard wasn't the same between Scotland and England.

I think the lure of say 4 times your salary and latter stages of the CL/Europa most seasons will see him leave given the chance.

10 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Jeck and I were discussing the Scottish contingent at Celtic. Armstrong was mentioned but he is struggling to get game time.

I think Armstrong has been unlucky a bit. From what I've seen at Southampton he hasn't looked out of his depth at all but change of manager, injuries and Hassenhuttl changing the 11 around on a regular basis has meant he simply can't get a run of starts.

Does seem he's played more under the Austrian than Mark Hughes. Will have to see if he's part of the plans next season.

9 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I think if he does 10IAR he'll have done as much as he possibly could with Celtic.

I know he's a dyed in the wool Celtic fan (his dad goes on the same bus as my mate) but I don't think he's daft. Paul McStay stayed at Celtic for example but back then the gulf in finance/standard wasn't the same between Scotland and England.

I think the lure of say 4 times your salary and latter stages of the CL/Europa most seasons will see him leave given the chance.

It's sad looking at how much the league has decline when you look at who was playing even in late 90s for the big two at least...Van Bronckhorst, Albertz, Klos, Brian Laudrup, Gazza, Negri with that mad 30 goal season then for Celtic Larsson, Morvacik, Viduka, Chris Sutton, Di Canio and Van Hoojidonk. Those were old firm attacking options between 95-2000! Football in all major league was way more interesting in the 90s than now.

Now we get people going on and on about this Morelos chap who scores 1 goal in europa league and more likely to get sent off in an old firm game than actually score.

Tierney will most likely spend his entire career with Celtic.

They don't have to sell anyone and they've made it clear that they won't accept anything less than £25m.

There is no chance a team will ever spend that kind of money on a Scottish player based in Scotland.

People keep saying that players are the ones who hold the power, and in most cases that's true, but not if a player loves the club. I can't see Tierney digging his heels in and demanding a move any more than I can see Celtic sell him for less that what they want.

57 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Apparently up until the very recent Derby and Luton Interest , no one has put in any sort off offer, I just assumed someone would have.

He is free to talk to clubs and had a tour of Derby's ground last week. 

9 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

It's sad looking at how much the league has decline when you look at who was playing even in late 90s for the big two at least...Van Bronckhorst, Albertz, Klos, Brian Laudrup, Gazza, Negri with that mad 30 goal season then for Celtic Larsson, Morvacik, Viduka, Chris Sutton, Di Canio and Van Hoojidonk. Those were old firm attacking options between 95-2000! Football in all major league was way more interesting in the 90s than now.

Now we get people going on and on about this Morelos chap who scores 1 goal in europa league and more likely to get sent off in an old firm game than actually score.

and not one scotsman among that list...........................

I look at that period differently, competition was strangled out of scottish football because of the spending of the big two, particularly Rangers, I didn't see that as some sort of great period just because there were a few players who were great to watch. UEFA have played a huge role in destroying some domestic competitions, a select few clubs back then gained the CL money every year which left their domestic rivals behind, not just in Scotland.  Now those clubs are suffering because UEFAs focus is on the big 4 or 5 leagues to ensure the same teams play and win year in year out which means the same teams will attract the best players every year. 

10 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I look at that period differently, competition was strangled out of scottish football because of the spending of the big two, particularly Rangers, I didn't see that as some sort of great period just because there were a few players who were great to watch. UEFA have played a huge role in destroying some domestic competitions, a select few clubs back then gained the CL money every year which left their domestic rivals behind, not just in Scotland.  Now those clubs are suffering because UEFAs focus is on the big 4 or 5 leagues to ensure the same teams play and win year in year out which means the same teams will attract the best players every year. 

Rangers and Murray killed Scottish football. UEFA buried it.

31 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Every one keeps saying the SFA is to blame, someone want to explain?

Negligence with regards to allowing clubs to play as many overseas players that they want with no regard to homegrown talent; lack of a homegrown ruling; lack of any clear view of infrastructure with regards to youth development; their lack of investment with regards to grassroots; their lack of direction where it comes grassroots where it comes to indoor facilities, etc.

The fact that the top league in Scotland has got 12 teams is absolutely laughable. When a league is so small every single match is a must win, which means that the chances of managers taking a chance on inexperience and youth will be minimal, they need to stick with the tried and tested veteran as one lose will probably put them in the relegation zone.

Look at all the crowd trouble this season, all the sectarian chances, fans invading the pitch, objects being thrown, etc. What are the SFA doing? Fining clubs? Deducting points from offending clubs? Nah. It'll be too much bother.

Appointing Alex McLeish, a man whose management career is over, but that doesn't matter, as he has mates in high places.

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

Negligence with regards to allowing clubs to play as many overseas players that they want with no regard to homegrown talent; lack of a homegrown ruling; lack of any clear view of infrastructure with regards to youth development; their lack of investment with regards to grassroots; their lack of direction where it comes grassroots where it comes to indoor facilities, etc.

The fact that the top league in Scotland has got 12 teams is absolutely laughable. When a league is so small every single match is a must win, which means that the chances of managers taking a chance on inexperience and youth will be minimal, they need to stick with the tried and tested veteran as one lose will probably put them in the relegation zone.

Look at all the crowd trouble this season, all the sectarian chances, fans invading the pitch, objects being thrown, etc. What are the SFA doing? Fining clubs? Deducting points from offending clubs? Nah. It'll be too much bother.

Appointing Alex McLeish, a man whose management career is over, but that doesn't matter, as he has mates in high places.

The point is, get the youth structure right and you will have success. Just look at what Ajax are doing this season. They've beaten Bayern Munich and they're about to knock Juventus out of the European cup, and they're doing this with seven homegrown players.

If the SFA brought in any form of homegrown rule or a limit on foreign players that can play we wouldn't be in the situation that we're in. We have no great players coming through, and people can point to the domestic clubs all they like, but it's the SFA that are ultimately to blame.

If nothing else, Ajax are currently showing that you can compete with the best clubs in the world whilst playing in a poor league. Some of the defending in the top Dutch league is comical, but who cares? Because ALL of their clubs dedicate time and effort into their youngsters. Holland have been poor for the past few years, but if you've watched this Ajax team you'll know that the tide is turning. Meanwhile, we'll be in the gutter forever. There is no wave for us, because our clubs and our football association just don't care about self-improvement.

Edited by Chripper

16 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Apparently up until the very recent Derby and Luton Interest , no one has put in any sort off offer, I just assumed someone would have.

Think Hull may have been mentioned aswell.

Derby are always in mix for top 6 so one of these years they might not bottle it. His brother is a regular at Luton so can see sense in going there aswell.

15 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Scots I can remember from that time....Andy Gorman (not sure which one....) in the nets for Rangers before Klos came in. Neil McCann also had a terrific run of form under Advocaat although near seemed to make the same impression at international level, James Forrest reminds me of him actually. Young Ferguson was also playing most weeks in midfield.

For Celtic you actually had Paul Lambert and Craig Burley as the regular midfield duo when they won the league in 97/98. McNamara at the back. Also eternal young hopes Phil O'Donnell (R.I.P), Scott Donnelly and Mark Burchill.

So there were still some around although the talent pool was certainly starting to run dry in late 90s. At least back then better quality foreign players were at least keeping Scottish players out of the teams in those days rather than the mediocre lot in the league nowadays.

15 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Yeah I understand that viewpoint, in the 80s Dundee United and of course Aberdeen had terrific teams that won or nearly won in europe that is all but impossible now.

What shouldn't be impossible is for a non old firm team to at least make group stages of europa. If two league of Ireland teams can do it so should a Scottish club as Aberdeen last did in 2007-08.

14 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Yeah I understand that viewpoint, in the 80s Dundee United and of course Aberdeen had terrific teams that won or nearly won in europe that is all but impossible now.

What shouldn't be impossible is for a non old firm team to at least make group stages of europa. If two league of Ireland teams can do it so should a Scottish club as Aberdeen last did in 2007-08.

The performance of non-Old Firm clubs in Europe is a total embarrassment. Summer football would help to some degree.