Scottish player transfers - Page 31 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

52 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Just idle thinking but imagine Fraser and Tierney both playing on the left for Arsenal. They've seemed interested in both so it's not impossible.

I cant see Tierney leaving Celtic. Hes a massive Celtic fan and seems happy to mop up the medals and be a hero to Celtic fans.

Just in case the hard of thinking think that's a criticism, it's not.

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I cant see Tierney leaving Celtic. Hes a massive Celtic fan and seems happy to mop up the medals and be a hero to Celtic fans.

He comes across as a smart lad, he’ll leave eventually. 

58 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

If that isn’t a criticism then it should be.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

If English premier league clubs, or any other major European league clubs for that matter, arent raiding Celtic for their players this summer, (especially the Scottish contingent) what are we to make of the current standard of the league? They're about to be part of a team that has won 9 trophies on the bounce, surely thats got to interest better teams?

14 minutes ago, JECK said:

If English premier league clubs, or any other major European league clubs for that matter, arent raiding Celtic for their players this summer, (especially the Scottish contingent) what are we to make of the current standard of the league? They're about to be part of a team that has won 9 trophies on the bounce, surely thats got to interest better teams?

I gave up worrying about the standard of our league ages ago. Celtic winning a treble treble is the ultimate embarrassment. 

Celtic have a massive advantage over everyone in this league, to the point where their victories are hollow in my opinion. Their fans will see it differently I'm sure.

I dont think Celtic will be raided much this year, how many of them out with Tierney would go on to play every week in the EPL? Armstrong was one of their better players IMO but he cant get a game for a shit Southampton. 

Edited by vanderark14

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I gave up worrying about the standard of our league ages ago. Celtic winning a treble treble is the ultimate embarrassment. 

Celtic have a massive advantage over everyone in this league, to the point where their victories are hollow in my opinion. Their fans will see it differently I'm sure.

I dont think Celtic will be raided much this year, how many of them out with Tierney would go on to play every week in the EPL? Armstrong was one of their better players IMO but he cant get a game for a shit Southampton. 

Thats the thing, so many of their fans lap this up. At what point do you say what your watching is complete boll**ks? Not the standard as such but the whole non competition? I think i heard earlier (could be wrong) Neil Lennon said after the game that James Forrest "is one of the best players in Britain". Well why the fk is he still at Celtic, theres only one league he should be playing in if that were the case. I cant for the life me think that Callum McGregor couldnt play for a decent side in England, Spain or Germany. However if there is not a bidding war for him this summer what am i to think? Thats he's actually no where near that level? Exact same applies to Tierney, he's even younger and played tonnes of games, looks tremendous most weeks yet no one has seemingly tempted Celtic with a bid that surely top clubs could easily afford. Its mental.

14 minutes ago, JECK said:

Thats the thing, so many of their fans lap this up. At what point do you say what your watching is complete boll**ks? Not the standard as such but the whole non competition? I think i heard earlier (could be wrong) Neil Lennon said after the game that James Forrest "is one of the best players in Britain". Well why the fk is he still at Celtic, theres only one league he should be playing in if that were the case. I cant for the life me think that Callum McGregor couldnt play for a decent side in England, Spain or Germany. However if there is not a bidding war for him this summer what am i to think? Thats he's actually no where near that level? Exact same applies to Tierney, he's even younger and played tonnes of games, looks tremendous most weeks yet no one has seemingly tempted Celtic with a bid that surely top clubs could easily afford. Its mental.

I've already reached that point, years ago a loss like today would enrage me but not now. I've realised it's a total waste of time. Celtic are simply too far ahead of every other team. It doesn't matter what challenge they get they fly through it almost easily.

Lennon is pandering to certain types of fan with those comments. Forrest is nowhere near that level.

I do rate McGregor but I rated Armstrong and he is struggling to get game time so what the fuck do I know 😂😂. I'd love to see scotlands players playing at higher levels but other than mctominey, Robertson and Fraser I dont really see it happening anytime soon

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Why?

As others have said, if Tierney was content to stay at Celtic just to win a couple more league titles that mean fuck all outside of Scotland then he'd be in great danger of wasting any potential he has to reach the top level.

12 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

As others have said, if Tierney was content to stay at Celtic just to win a couple more league titles that mean fuck all outside of Scotland then he'd be in great danger of wasting any potential he has to reach the top level.

Not quite as bad as Lee Wallace  though

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Of course he will leave.  The maximum weekly wage he can expect with Celtic is £30k.  He would easily command £100k+ in a top league somewhere.  Whilst he is a massive Celtic fan, it will not be lost on him just how far Robertson has progressed by moving on (in exactly the same position).  I think that Tierney is potentially as good as Robertson, but his career will stifle in Scotland.  Sadly for Scottish football, he is better than Celtic.

Edited by WeLuvIrnBru
Typo

6 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

Do you not think I understand that? I've already said Tierney could reach a high level. I think he will.be content being a one club player and a Celtic legend.

10 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I've already reached that point, years ago a loss like today would enrage me but not now. I've realised it's a total waste of time. Celtic are simply too far ahead of every other team. It doesn't matter what challenge they get they fly through it almost easily.

Lennon is pandering to certain types of fan with those comments. Forrest is nowhere near that level.

I do rate McGregor but I rated Armstrong and he is struggling to get game time so what the fuck do I know 😂😂. I'd love to see scotlands players playing at higher levels but other than mctominey, Robertson and Fraser I dont really see it happening anytime soon

I don’t think the likes of Forrest, McGregor and Tierney are far off the level of Fraser and even Robertson. It’s not as if there’s a huge gulf in quality when one passes to the other in the Scotland team.  The only way to prove it though, is for them to move to a better league.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Do you not think I understand that? I've already said Tierney could reach a high level. I think he will.be content being a one club player and a Celtic legend.

And if that is his attitude then I see it as being worthy of criticism, which you don’t. Fair enough. Wasn’t suggesting you didn’t understand why.

17 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Celtic don't have decent european runs anymore though, when was last time they made knock outs in CL? When I was growing up I'm sure they made it once under O'Neill. They certainly did under Strachan as I remember them playing AC Milan and Kaka scoring a great goal to win the tie after Celtic had really pushed them.

Let's say Leicester finished 7th and get europa and Celtic get knocked out in last CL play off round and go into europa like this season, would back Leicester to progress further.

Tierney will improve more in England just as Fraser and Robbo have obviously done.

Edit: Or even go abroad if rumoured interest from Germany is actually true.

Edited by Tartan Chris

15 hours ago, JECK said:

Celtic have had plenty raided over last 5 years, VVD, Wanyama, Armstrong all moved down and you also had Dembele going to Lyon (linked to Man. United today) so don't think that's an issue at all and there's obviously plenty of teams scouting Tierney. Not sure a CL team will take him but Leicester or Everton would be good move for him.

15 hours ago, JECK said:

Their decline in european performance says it all, 2001-2008 they were in CL every season apart from Strachan's debut year when they hilariously lost to Bratislava 5-0. Also of course went to Uefa cup final in 2003 beat Liverpool and blackburn in the run and losing narrowly to Mourinho's Porto.

Of course Scotland going down the Uefa rankings dosen't help as they have to play 3 play offs to reach CL but reality is as soon as they meet a half decent team in europa like Zenit or Valencia they get knocked out.