Scottish player transfers - Page 28 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

2 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Don't agree. I do think Tierney is better than Robertson. Can't see why that's not a valid opinion. You could argue that it's hard to tell because of the level of opposition then that's a point. If it's just because he plays for Celtic and Robertson plays for Liverpool then that's not good enough.

If Tierney is being tracked by Arsenal and if he goes there (all 'ifs' i know) does he instantly become a better player? Yes we'd be better able to judge and I may be proven wrong but i don't see why it's ridiculous to consider it now. 

We can point to how good Robertson is because he's playing consistently well against some of the best players the world has to offer. One of the highest rated left backs in the english prem, if not the world, who's played in one champions league final and is in danger of winning one of the strongest leagues in the world.

Tierney has looked good at a big fish club in a small pond. He has a collection of embarrassing scorelines in Europe and none of his international managers have put him ahead of Robertson for Scotland even once.

If a competitive club came in for Tierney, then that's a 1st step. He'd then need to hold down a first teamplace at that club and show he can perform to the required level week after week against quality opposition, including in the Champions League. i.e. do what Robertson's done.

6 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Hastie rumoured to have signed a pre-contract with Rangers

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no FFS

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no FFS

Motherwell fan hahaha? 

9 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

He should get a decent run in the Europa League. Excellent news. 

14 hours ago, andyD said:

We can point to how good Robertson is because he's playing consistently well against some of the best players the world has to offer. One of the highest rated left backs in the english prem, if not the world, who's played in one champions league final and is in danger of winning one of the strongest leagues in the world.

Tierney has looked good at a big fish club in a small pond. He has a collection of embarrassing scorelines in Europe and none of his international managers have put him ahead of Robertson for Scotland even once.

If a competitive club came in for Tierney, then that's a 1st step. He'd then need to hold down a first teamplace at that club and show he can perform to the required level week after week against quality opposition, including in the Champions League. i.e. do what Robertson's done.

I agree with this.

Tierney has potential but it may remain untapped until he goes out and mixes it with the big boys.

15 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Don't agree. I do think Tierney is better than Robertson. Can't see why that's not a valid opinion. You could argue that it's hard to tell because of the level of opposition then that's a point. If it's just because he plays for Celtic and Robertson plays for Liverpool then that's not good enough.

If Tierney is being tracked by Arsenal and if he goes there (all 'ifs' i know) does he instantly become a better player? Yes we'd be better able to judge and I may be proven wrong but i don't see why it's ridiculous to consider it now.

You think Tierney is better than Robertson, based on absolutely nothing...thats the point. Tierney comes up against next-to-no opposition on a weekly basis and excels, while Robertson comes up against some of the best players on the planet and excels. There really isnt a comparison. Its like saying call Dobbie or Shankland up because they're doing great in the Scottish Championship, while Steven Fletcher struggles down South....genuinely mind-boggling

The comparison begins when Tierney grows a set of balls and says he wants away to test himself at a higher level, against genuinely good fitba players, on a weekly basis...whether that is in England or on the continent. Only then can it be a like-for-like comparison and a conversation worth having.

1 hour ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

You think Tierney is better than Robertson, based on absolutely nothing...thats the point. Tierney comes up against next-to-no opposition on a weekly basis and excels, while Robertson comes up against some of the best players on the planet and excels. There really isnt a comparison. Its like saying call Dobbie or Shankland up because they're doing great in the Scottish Championship, while Steven Fletcher struggles down South....genuinely mind-boggling

The comparison begins when Tierney grows a set of balls and says he wants away to test himself at a higher level, against genuinely good fitba players, on a weekly basis...whether that is in England or on the continent. Only then can it be a like-for-like comparison and a conversation worth having.

I'm not getting into a massive debate because there's too many pointless debates already but I can't see why I can't have that opinion. I know Pat Nevin has said the same.

I think he's a terrific player. I'm not a Celtic fan but I watch them as a Scotland fan and am excited by what I see. I think Robertson occasionally finds himself out of position but he's helped out by having a world-class centre back alongside him so I think they both make mistakes. Both Tierney and Robertson can drive forward and whilst Robertson's crossing is excellent Tierney's link up play is excellent.

If you are saying that you can only compare  when they are playing against the same opposition then half the debates in football history about who is better become redundant.

Just my opinion. No need to be worked up about it. If he moves South and is shit against Brighton I don't mind accepting I'm wrong.

40 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

If you are saying that you can only compare  when they are playing against the same opposition then half the debates in football history about who is better become redundant.

I think the point is that it's easy to look good when you're playing against very average players.

13 hours ago, csinclair said:

Hastie rumoured to have signed a pre-contract with Rangers

That would be a stupid move.

Gerrard has already shown that he doesn't have faith in Scottish players, so if Hastie is happy with playing reserve football then he should join Rangers.

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

That would be a stupid move.

Gerrard has already shown that he doesn't have faith in Scottish players, so if Hastie is happy with playing reserve football then he should join Rangers.

I'm note sure I really agree with this. I mean, who are the genuinely eligible Scots in the Rangers squad?:

McGregor - Starts almost all games.
McCrorie - Loads of game time and starts lately for a young lad.
Jack - He has legitimately showed more faith in this lad than the majority of the TA!
Halliday - Plenty  of game time this season.
Middleton - Loads of game time earlier in the season, not so much recently. But he's still young and has real competition for his position.

As a Scotland fan who has all but lost his religion when it comes to his boyhood club, I for one would love to see a lot more Scots in the Rangers squad, but I don't think it's reasonable to say Gerrard has no faith in Scottish players, yet.

13 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I'm note sure I really agree with this. I mean, who are the genuinely eligible Scots in the Rangers squad?:

Jack - He has legitimately showed more faith in this lad than the majority of the TA!
Middleton - Loads of game time earlier in the season, not so much recently. But he's still young and has real competition for his position.

As a Scotland fan who has all but lost his religion when it comes to his boyhood club, I for one would love to see a lot more Scots in the Rangers squad, but I don't think it's reasonable to say Gerrard has no faith in Scottish players, yet.

When everyone is fit I think only Alan McGregor and Jack are guaranteed starters, the others are squad players.

15 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

When I heard the news about Hastie I was actually pleased. Not that he's leaving Motherwell but it was an indication that Gerrard does intend to play Scots. Especially as Shinnie's been linked.

Hopefully this season is just about the short-term and getting Rangers competitive again and that over the next few seasons he'll look to buy Scots and bring through what sounds like a fantastic group of under 19s. Hopefully in a couple of years there will be 6-7 Scots starting for Rangers and Celtic. Would be very healthy for the game.

1 hour ago, SkyBlueScot said:

When I heard the news about Hastie I was actually pleased. Not that he's leaving Motherwell but it was an indication that Gerrard does intend to play Scots. Especially as Shinnie's been linked.

Hopefully this season is just about the short-term and getting Rangers competitive again and that over the next few seasons he'll look to buy Scots and bring through what sounds like a fantastic group of under 19s. Hopefully in a couple of years there will be 6-7 Scots starting for Rangers and Celtic. Would be very healthy for the game.

Any sensible manager will know that playing the best local talent is the best way to sustainable success. Gerrard knows this. 

On 3/8/2019 at 12:18 PM, SkyBlueScot said:

I'm not getting into a massive debate because there's too many pointless debates already but I can't see why I can't have that opinion. I know Pat Nevin has said the same.

I think he's a terrific player. I'm not a Celtic fan but I watch them as a Scotland fan and am excited by what I see. I think Robertson occasionally finds himself out of position but he's helped out by having a world-class centre back alongside him so I think they both make mistakes. Both Tierney and Robertson can drive forward and whilst Robertson's crossing is excellent Tierney's link up play is excellent.

Just my opinion. No need to be worked up about it. If he moves South and is shit against Brighton I don't mind accepting I'm wrong.

Anybody can have any opinion they like...generally though, an opinion should be based on something more than a hunch. The proof is in the pudding, Roberston is a far better player until Tierney proves otherwise.

Apparently Tierney has caught the eye of the Dortmund scouts watching Toljan, who they've got out on loan to Celtic at the minute. If there's truth in this then I'd much rather he go to Germany than to England as I feel he'll become a better player there.

On 3/11/2019 at 8:17 AM, ONeils4oyarder said:

Anybody can have any opinion they like...generally though, an opinion should be based on something more than a hunch. The proof is in the pudding, Roberston is a far better player until Tierney proves otherwise.

Robertson is miles ahead of Tierney. Why is it even a debate 😂

13 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Robertson is miles ahead of Tierney. Why is it even a debate 😂

This summer will really show Tierney's ambition (or lack of) I feel. It's almost certain there will be bids for him, Leicester?, Dortmund? Arsenal? Will he knock back the chance to leave should a bid be accepted? If a bid's rejected will he have the balls to come out and say I want to go? Time will tell. I guess as Scotland fans we can only hope he has serious ambitions of bigger and better things. 

Who knows maybe there might be grounds for a who's better debate with Robertson in 18months or so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...