Scottish player transfers - Page 27 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

17 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well if not better that he stays where he is and gets European football in him and continues club understanding at international level with Christie and Forrest around him rather than go to a club who won't win anything.

No, it’s time the Scotland Celtic players moved on and proved themselves at a higher level. Tierney, McGregir, Forrest (and Christie later) have it in themselves to become even better but it won’t now happen at Celtic. 

5 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

No, it’s time the Scotland Celtic players moved on and proved themselves at a higher level. Tierney, McGregir, Forrest (and Christie later) have it in themselves to become even better but it won’t now happen at Celtic. 

Generally, I'd agree with you but I'd want it to be to a club where first team football is guaranteed first and foremost. Thereafter I'd hope it was to an established club not heading for relegation and it would be a good bonus if it were to be for a club challenging for trophies or playing in Europe. 

Edited by Caledonian Craig

There is something deeply disturbing and insane about the transfer market in England.

Aston Villa bought John McGinn for £3m, now less than a season in the Championship it's been quoted that it'll take Leicester £20m to tempt Villa into doing business. 

They've lost all grasp of reality in English football.

Edited by Chripper

On 3/4/2019 at 9:59 AM, csinclair said:

in the papers today that Arsenal want Tierney as a long term replacement to Monreal

It's a bit of an odd one.

So Arsenal swtich between a back 3 and a back 4 depending on the opposition.
For teams they think they can blow away, they play basically a 343, where as for tough opponents then tend to play a back 4 (i'm sure Chripper will correct them on the error of their ways!)

Kolasinac played LB in the back 4 and left mid when there's a back 3. With Monreal tending to slot in on the left of the 3.

It's very, very unlikely that Tierney would displace Kolasinac. So he'd most likely end up a bit part player for when Arsenal decided to play a back 3. On the face of it, it doesn't seem like a good move for him. It'd improve his bank account, and strengthen Arsenal's bench, but.. not good for Scotland.

Just now, andyD said:

For teams they think they can blow away, they play basically a 343, where as for tough opponents then tend to play a back 4 (i'm sure Chripper will correct them on the error of their ways!)

Kolasinac played LB in the back 4 and left mid when there's a back 3. With Monreal tending to slot in on the left of the 3.

It's very, very unlikely that Tierney would displace Kolasinac. So he'd most likely end up a bit part player for when Arsenal decided to play a back 3. On the face of it, it doesn't seem like a good move for him. It'd improve his bank account, and strengthen Arsenal's bench, but.. not good for Scotland.

I think you are wrong. Tierney is probably a better player than Robertson although Robertson is in a better position due to being a bit older and moving to a top team in England. Tierney has the potential to be just as successful as Robertson and better what he is doing. 

I really hope Tierney stays at Celtic but if he does go, he will do well for most teams. 

26 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think you are wrong. Tierney is probably a better player than Robertson although Robertson is in a better position due to being a bit older and moving to a top team in England. Tierney has the potential to be just as successful as Robertson and better what he is doing.  

I really hope Tierney stays at Celtic but if he does go, he will do well for most teams. 

A bit mystified why you think I'm wrong when you don't mention the player he'd be trying to get in ahead of at Arsenal if he went there.

Kolasinac is very well thought of at Arsenal, and seen as vital by a lot of people. Some examples from recent press.

https://paininthearsenal.com/2018/12/25/arsenal-sead-kolasinac-alone/
No one does what Sead Kolasinac does
back to the fold against Burnley and he’s starting to establish just how special and unique of a player he is.
the primary chance creator on this team is still Sead Kolasinac, even in spite of the return of Mkhitaryan, and the burst back onto the scene of Ozil.

https://paininthearsenal.com/2018/12/28/arsenal-sead-kolasinac-lesson/
Kolasinac is such a crucial part of what the club hopes to do because he brings something that no one else quite brings

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/11602796/sead-kolasinac-is-shouldering-arsenals-creative-burden-in-mesut-ozils-absence
Kolasinac has become Unai Emery's playmaker-in-chief.
Kolasinac is key now.
With his power and directness, the 25-year-old offers a level of penetration and creativity which is unrivalled among players in his position.
Ozil remains a problem for Emery to solve, but the unique threat of Kolasinac is at least ensuring Arsenal are not feeling his absence too strongly.

So, I while I think Tierney's a good player, a very good player in the Scottish Prem, there's next to no chance of him displacing Kolasinac barring a huge (and unexpected) drop in form, or a long term injury. Tho, ofc, happy to hear why that's wrong..

Kolasinac has struggled when they've played 4 at the back as he's not the best defender. I could see Tierney fitting in well there if he played LB in the 4 or the left sided of the 3 when they play that system. 
Personally I thought one of Tierney's best games for Scotland was when he played as the left of 3 centre backs against England at Hampden.

Whilst Robbo has said he doesn't feel comfortable as a wing back, Tierney seems to be a lot more adaptable and versatile. Ironically, Chripper has compared Robbo to Alaba in the past but I'd say Tierney is probably the more accurate comparison to him.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

I think you're confusing formations with tactics. With a back three you can be ultra attacking, same way that you can be ultra defensive with a four.

And with all due respect to us, we are not Arsenal. The only teams that we could blow away are Faroe Islands, San Marino, Gibraltar, etc. Hell, I think we'll struggle to break down Kazakhstan. Therefore, with us playing a three it would be to plug the hole at the back on a fundamental basis. But it would still us an extra attacking dimension down the flanks.

48 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Personally I thought one of Tierney's best games for Scotland was when he played as the left of 3 centre backs against England at Hampden.

He was outstanding in that match. 

2 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Aye, I'd agree with that. The way Tierney defends impeccably against Connor Sammon and the like is fantastic

Remember that Robertson is 3 years older than Tierney.

At the age Tierney is now, Robertson was in the Championship with Hull.  There is no doubt that he has moved his career on a lot in those three years.  At 21, Robertson had played 1 season in the Scottish Premiership (4th), 1 year in the Premier League (18th) and was playing in the Championship.  He'd won nothing and had around 10 Scotland caps - with no real quality left-back in the squad.  

Tierney, at 21, is playing his 4th season in the Scottish Premiership, has won 7 trophies and has earned 12 caps - with a very good left-back in the squad.  

It is fair to say that Tierney is currently in a better place than Robertson was at the same age.  Tierney has a lot to do to match where Robertson is now but, IMO, he is very capable.  

Both are great players and if we had 2 players of the same quality in every position we would be aiming to win major competitions, never-mind qualify. 

8 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

It is fair to say that Tierney is currently in a better place than Robertson was at the same age.  Tierney has a lot to do to match where Robertson is now but, IMO, he is very capable. 

Perhaps, but at 16 Tierney was in a much better place than Robertson, Celtic having decided that Robertson wasn't good enough and chucked him. So... it's about what you're doing now.

Right now:
Tierney is not particularly tested each week and trophies just fall into his lap.
Robertson is up against some of the best in the world most weeks, started the last Champions League final and has won absolutely nothing.

This is probably my one problem with Tierney. He's clearly a talented player, and hopefully he'll have a really good career. But he is at risk of just idling it away, being content with being Scottish champion and never really developing into the best player he can be. Robertson, has knuckled down, worked hard even when it's not all gone his way, listened to his managers and earned his way to the top. He's a fantastic example for Tierney to follow. He does still need to follow it tho.

7 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Tierney is better than Robertson!?

Good lord. That’s up there with the most ridiculous statements ever uttered on here. 

3 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

At the age Tierney is now, Robertson was in the Championship with Hull.  There is no doubt that he has moved his career on a lot in those three years.  At 21, Robertson had played 1 season in the Scottish Premiership (4th), 1 year in the Premier League (18th) and was playing in the Championship.  He'd won nothing and had around 10 Scotland caps - with no real quality left-back in the squad.  

Tierney, at 21, is playing his 4th season in the Scottish Premiership, has won 7 trophies and has earned 12 caps - with a very good left-back in the squad.  

Both are great players and if we had 2 players of the same quality in every position we would be aiming to win major competitions, never-mind qualify. 

Very true.

25 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Tierney is better than Robertson!?

Good lord. That’s up there with the most ridiculous statements ever uttered on here. 

Is this your first time debating with pasta mick? If it's not Celtic it's not better. 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

Does it really matter who's better?

Robertson and Tierney are two brilliant players. Personally I'm just happy we have them.

My point was, if Robertson can play for a top 6 side in England, there is no reason why Tierney can't.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Is this your first time debating with pasta mick? If it's not Celtic it's not better. 🤣🤣🤣

Not quite...I always said GMS was shite. 

13 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

My point was, if Robertson can play for a top 6 side in England, there is no reason why Tierney can't.

I don't think we disagree that he can. But remains to be seen if he will.

There's suggestions Man City are looking for a left back, but i'd be very surprised if they turned to Tierney.
And the Arsenal link seems an odd one, purely because he doesn't seem like he'd be in the team most weeks.
So it doesn't feel like there's much demand.

And he's yet to show any desire to be anywhere but Celtic.
If he stays there for his career, i'm sure he'll be good enough back up at left back.
But as a Scotland fan I want to see him growing and pushing himself and achieving all he can in the game.

So right now it's not clear whether there is will or opportunity for Tierney to play for a top club.
He's young, so the opportunity will likely come at some point, will he take it tho.

On 3/5/2019 at 4:56 PM, PASTA Mick said:

It matters not a jot, what age they either player is, or how good we think either player could be...you stated that Tierney is 'probably' a better player than Scotlands captain, and a guy that is that much of a mainstay in a team chasing the league title in England, that hes in danger of being burned out. 

Tierney, as far as I'm concerned will never be able to be talked in the same breath as Robertson until he gets a pair of baws big enough, to cut his maws apron strings and try his hand with a team (and in a league), where he isn't playing against players that are on £300 a week.

1 hour ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

It matters not a jot, what age they either player is, or how good we think either player could be...you stated that Tierney is 'probably' a better player than Scotlands captain, and a guy that is that much of a mainstay in a team chasing the league title in England, that hes in danger of being burned out. 

Tierney, as far as I'm concerned will never be able to be talked in the same breath as Robertson until he gets a pair of baws big enough, to cut his maws apron strings and try his hand with a team (and in a league), where he isn't playing against players that are on £300 a week.

Bang on.

‘Probably a better player than Robertson’ is the best thing I’ve heard on here in years 😂😂

Don't agree. I do think Tierney is better than Robertson. Can't see why that's not a valid opinion. You could argue that it's hard to tell because of the level of opposition then that's a point. If it's just because he plays for Celtic and Robertson plays for Liverpool then that's not good enough.

If Tierney is being tracked by Arsenal and if he goes there (all 'ifs' i know) does he instantly become a better player? Yes we'd be better able to judge and I may be proven wrong but i don't see why it's ridiculous to consider it now.

1 minute ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Don't agree. I do think Tierney is better than Robertson. Can't see why that's not a valid opinion. You could argue that it's hard to tell because of the level of opposition then that's a point. If it's just because he plays for Celtic and Robertson plays for Liverpool then that's not good enough.

If Tierney is being tracked by Arsenal and if he goes there (all 'ifs' i know) does he instantly become a better player? Yes we'd be better able to judge and I may be proven wrong but i don't see why it's ridiculous to consider it now.

What is Tierney better than Robertson at that makes him a better player?