Scottish player transfers - Page 26 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

2 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

If Alan Hutton can go to the EPL for £9 million ten years ago, I have no issue with imagining a team would pay over £20 million for Tierney these days. 

I would say there is a difference there though. Hutton was being lauded for impressive performances for Scotland where he was being labelled as 'the white Cafu' following displays against top sides such as Italy and France. Tierney has yet to reach that peak at international level so to potential buyers they can only go on his pergormances largely in the SPL.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I would say there is a difference there though. Hutton was being lauded for impressive performances for Scotland where he was being labelled as 'the white Cafu' following displays against top sides such as Italy and France. Tierney has yet to reach that peak at international level so to potential buyers they can only go on his pergormances largely in the SPL.

Wasn't it 'the Scottish Cafu'? Anyway, fair point. However, captaining your country at age 20 is also pretty impressive. 

18 hours ago, Chripper said:

It's not?

Rumour has it that Brendan Rodgers had a "player selling" clause on his contract, like the one Jackie McNamara had at Dundee United. The £15m offer was declined because Rodgers would've gotten a percentage of the sale (around £5m), but now he's gone it'll pave the way for Tierney's exit.

Rumour has it that Man City are looking at Chillwell, so that could signal Tierney's move to Leicester.

I'll reiterate it again, if a team places a bid of £13-£15m Celtic will accept it. 

See? Logic and I are tight. :)

You're just making stuff up now to suit your argument.

You've an impressive knack of that, so fair play.

12 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Wasn't it 'the Scottish Cafu'? Anyway, fair point. However, captaining your country at age 20 is also pretty impressive. 

Could be wrong, but there's probably a few things holding Tierney back from a big move, beyond the fact that there's no clubs really in the market for a left back.

He's barely played at left back for Scotland, not a single game since 2016.
His team's shipped 29 goals in his 9 Champions League appearances.
Questionable injury record, having already done his crutiate ligament and spent months out with his hip this season.
6 year contracts don't make him attractive as you'll always have to the top price for him.
Seems to lacks any ambition to compete at the top level, content to be a big fish in a small pond.

So while we all know what a good player he is in the Scottish Prem, and that he's had some good performances in some of those Champions League games, there's reasons why a big club might not want to take a gamble on him.

In terms of fees, the landscape of Scottish football has changed in 10 years. There used to be some money in Scottish football, before Setanta went bust and then Rangers fell apart. Right now there's very little money in the league, which makes it difficult for clubs (even Celtic) to demand big fees for players. Like I said earlier, there's only a handful of players who've left for over £5m in the last 10 years. Tierney would be another of those, but the idea that he'd fetch more than Dembele is, i think, a bit wishful thinking.

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You're just making stuff up now to suit your argument.

You've an impressive knack of that, so fair play.

No. There is a rumour circulating that Rodgers had a player-selling clause.

Apparently Rodgers tried to sell Dembele to Bright back in Jan 2018. Why would you try to sell your best striker whilst you're going for a double-treble if you aren't going to profit?

If you also think that things like this don't happen if football then I don't know what to tell you.

On 2/27/2019 at 12:27 PM, Chripper said:

For example, in the "starting 11" thread I'll value the most recent team that a poster selected:

McGregor (£1m)

Tierney (£10m) Bates (£1m) McKenna (£5m) Robertson (£45m)

Armstrong (£7m) McGinn (£3m) McLean (500k)

Forrest (£8m) Fletcher (£3m) Fraser (£16m)

Hopefully that's the cold shower that people need. In a world where players are going for £100's of millions we only have 3 players who are in double digits, million wise. And the midfield above is incredibly pathetic.

8 mil for Forrest 😂😂😂😂

On 2/27/2019 at 5:38 AM, andyD said:

Honestly don't see anyone buying Tierney.. No one needs him at this point. A shame Luke Shaw's found some form, for sure.

And the reality is that in any market, you pay what you have to. And with so little money in Scottish football these days, it's a bargain bin that can't command much in the way of big fees, now and for the foreseeable future.

Bit of a quiz for you..
How many players have left Scottish football for a fee of £5m+ in the last 10 years?

I can think of 6. VvD, McGeady, Dembele, Forster, Wanyama and Armstrong.
6 in 10 years. The English Championship has had more than twice that many just this season.

Gary Hooper 

Aiden Mcgeady

10 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Both are foreign.

How many Scots have been transferred to English football for £5m+

Not that many.

To be fair, my point was about the ability of the league to demand fees for players, full stop.
and even with Hooper on the list that's 7 in 10 years, while the English Championship had 15-16 just this season.

How many Scots left Scotland for over 5m in the last 10 years.. just the one afaik.

1 minute ago, andyD said:

To be fair, my point was about the ability of the league to demand fees for players, full stop.
and even with Hooper on the list that's 7 in 10 years, while the English Championship had 15-16 just this season.

How many Scots left Scotland for over 5m in the last 10 years.. just the one afaik.

Just having "Scottish" beside a player's name brings down the valuation.

It would appear that some people here don't like that thought, but it's the truth.

44 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

A couple of places are reporting that Rodgers will make McGinn one of his targets: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/brendan-rodgers-wants-dedryck-boyata-14078043

Very interesting for a few reasons. £20million seems a bit OTT even if you don't subscribe to Chripper's views!

Hope he decimates that Celtic side  in the summer personally, well the Scots mainly. Plenty champions league quality sides to play against already in England.

17 minutes ago, JECK said:

Hope he decimates that Celtic side  in the summer personally, well the Scots mainly. Plenty champions league quality sides to play against already in England.

Callum McGregor must be 1000097% likely to move to Leicester in the summer 

Edited by ProudScot

22 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree. If McGregor were to move then move to a club in the EPL that are actually going to compete for trophies and qualify for Europe and that ain't going to be Leicester under Brendan Rodgers.

I don’t know if he’s good enough to play for a team better than Leicester 

Just now, ProudScot said:

I don’t know if he’s good enough to play for a team better than Leicester 

Well if not better that he stays where he is and gets European football in him and continues club understanding at international level with Christie and Forrest around him rather than go to a club who won't win anything.