Scottish player transfers - Page 25 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

4 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

There's absolutely no chance of a team from England shelling out that kind of money for a player playing in Scotland.

Van Dijk went for £13m. £13m is pretty much the cap of EPL teams paying Scottish clubs.

I could see Celtic accepting £10m-£13m.

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

There's absolutely no chance of a team from England shelling out that kind of money for a player playing in Scotland.

Van Dijk went for £13m. £13m is pretty much the cap of EPL teams paying Scottish clubs.

In a game where transfers are going up millions and millions every 6 months, that is utter nonsense.

3 hours ago, Chripper said:

As the previous poster said the transfer market is getting crazier and Celtic let vvd go for less than what they should imo. I could see Celtic getting 20m for Tierney easily.

2 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

In a game where transfers are going up millions and millions every 6 months, that is utter nonsense.

59 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

As the previous poster said the transfer market is getting crazier and Celtic let vvd go for less than what they should imo. I could see Celtic getting 20m for Tierney easily. 

Last June Everton placed a bid of £15m-£18m and they walked away when they were quoted £25m for Tierney

There is no chance than an EPL side would splash £25m+ on a player playing in Scotland, ever.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Honestly don't see anyone buying Tierney.. No one needs him at this point. A shame Luke Shaw's found some form, for sure.

And the reality is that in any market, you pay what you have to. And with so little money in Scottish football these days, it's a bargain bin that can't command much in the way of big fees, now and for the foreseeable future.

Bit of a quiz for you..
How many players have left Scottish football for a fee of £5m+ in the last 10 years?

I can think of 6. VvD, McGeady, Dembele, Forster, Wanyama and Armstrong.
6 in 10 years. The English Championship has had more than twice that many just this season.

12 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

In which case are you suggesting that the trend of increasing transfer fees is about to stop? If that's your point then fair enough. If you aren't saying that then I'm back to believing you are spouting nonsense.

I have literally no idea what the "trend of increasing transfer fees" means.

What trend? The "trend" certainly doesn't apply to Scottish football.

Andy Robertson went for £3m for heaven's sake.

28 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

In which case are you suggesting that the trend of increasing transfer fees is about to stop? If that's your point then fair enough. If you aren't saying that then I'm back to believing you are spouting nonsense.

Celtic wouldn’t sell for less than £20M. Peanuts to top half EPL teams. So it would depend how much they wanted him, and I don’t see why they wouldn’t. 

18 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I have literally no idea what the "trend of increasing transfer fees" means.

What trend? The "trend" certainly doesn't apply to Scottish football.

Andy Robertson went for £3m for heaven's sake.

It means that there is a trend within football currently that transfer fees are generally getting bigger and more silly.

1 minute ago, Tartan_McCole said:

It means that there is a trend within football currently that transfer fees are generally getting bigger and more silly.

Not in Scotland it isn't.

Transfers are rare within Scottish football, both incoming and outgoings. Only Celtic and Rangers can spend folding money on players.

I've looked at the most recent transfers going out of Scottish football: Armstrong (£7) and McGinn (£3m). That's pretty much it. Is this the "trend" you're talking about? Scottish football is seem as garbage around the world, and so are our players, rightly or wrongly.

If the old adage of "a commodity is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay" the Scottish football team would be worth very little.

19 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

For example, in the "starting 11" thread I'll value the most recent team that a poster selected:

McGregor (£1m)

Tierney (£10m) Bates (£1m) McKenna (£5m) Robertson (£45m)

Armstrong (£7m) McGinn (£3m) McLean (500k)

Forrest (£8m) Fletcher (£3m) Fraser (£16m)

Hopefully that's the cold shower that people need. In a world where players are going for £100's of millions we only have 3 players who are in double digits, million wise. And the midfield above is incredibly pathetic.

7 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I think what's being missed that Tierney, unlike Robertson or even van dijk, is a more recognisable name. Van Dijkwent to southhampton whereas Tierney's been linked with a number of top clubs which helps to push the price up.

I believe he's better than Robertson as it is.

The only concrete bid that have come in for Tierney has been from Everton. He's been linked to Man United and Arsenal, but that's just paper talk.

No top 6 team in England require a left back, so if Tierney did leave Celtic for the EPL it'll probably be to a club like Bournemouth, etc. He'd have to do what Van Dijk did and prove to people in England that he can play outside Scotland.

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

Not in Scotland it isn't.

Transfers are rare within Scottish football, both incoming and outgoings. Only Celtic and Rangers can spend folding money on players.

I've looked at the most recent transfers going out of Scottish football: Armstrong (£7) and McGinn (£3m). That's pretty much it. Is this the "trend" you're talking about? Scottish football is seem as garbage around the world, and so are our players, rightly or wrongly.

If the old adage of "a commodity is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay" the Scottish football team would be worth very little.

Well done on picking two players who went for lower fees because of their contract situation to suit your facts:lol: 

Well done on picking two players who went for lower fees because of their contract situation to suit your facts:lol: 

Alright, name a few more Scottish players who have transferred from Scottish clubs to English clubs in recent years.

And quote the figures.

2 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Alright, name a few more Scottish players who have transferred from Scottish clubs to English clubs in recent years.

And quote the figures.

Who mentioned Scottish players? After looking back and making sure (to spare my blushes), I certainly didn't. You mentioned they wouldn't pay that for a player playing in Scotland. I'm making a point on transfers from Scotland to England, and European football in general. The fact Tierney is Scottish is absolutely irrelevant.

Edited by Tartan_McCole

Who mentioned Scottish players? After looking back and making sure (to spare my blushes), I certainly didn't. You mentioned they wouldn't pay that for a player playing in Scotland. I'm making a point on transfers from Scotland to England, and European football in general. The fact Tierney is Scottish is absolutely irrelevant.

I mentioned Scottish players because Kieran Tierney is Scottish and he's being linked with teams in England who would refuse to pay £25m for his services.

Southampton paid £13m for Van Dijk, Hull paid £3m for Robertson. That's pretty much the point. £10m between them and yet they are both now at the same club and valued at the same price, give or take.

My point is that people in England think Scottish football and Scottish clubs are absolute trash. If you want to argue that point then please show me an instance where an EPL team has shelled out a substantial amount for a Scottish player.

5 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I mentioned Scottish players because Kieran Tierney is Scottish and he's being linked with teams in England who would refuse to pay £25m for his services.

Southampton paid £13m for Van Dijk, Hull paid £3m for Robertson. That's pretty much the point. £10m between them and yet they are both now at the same club and valued at the same price, give or take.

My point is that people in England think Scottish football and Scottish clubs are absolute trash. If you want to argue that point then please show me an instance where an EPL team has shelled out a substantial amount for a Scottish player.

"Valued at the same price". Interesting, considering your post above has Robertson at £45mil. I would imagine they might value Van Dijk higher than that considering they purchased him for £75mil. You think the reason Robertson and Van Dijk's original transfer fee is different because of nationalities? What planet do you live on?

Again, and I can't stress this enough, I never mentioned anything about Scottish players. At the start point of this, neither did you. You said players playing in Scotland. You can't change your point halfway through and still try to maintain the same argument.

If your point is now about nationalities, I don't imagine English teams would be arsed if his name was El Tiernio. Celtic will get what he's worth when the time is right, and being Scottish wont hinder that.

Edited by Tartan_McCole

"Valued at the same price". Interesting, considering your post above has Robertson at £45mil. I would imagine they might value Van Dijk higher than that considering they purchased him for £75mil. You think the reason Robertson and Van Dijk's original transfer fee is different because of nationalities? What planet do you live on?

Again, and I can't stress this enough, I never mentioned anything about Scottish players. At the start point of this, neither did you. You said players playing in Scotland. You can't change your point halfway through and still try to maintain the same argument.

Are you joking?

Andy Robertson was every bit the £10+ player when he was at Dundee United and every bit as influential as Van Dijk. So yes, 100% I think nationality comes into it.

Mate, I think it was Lyon who bought Dembele from Celtic for £19m? Griffiths scored 40 odd goals in a season, do you honestly think that Celtic would've received an offer of £19m for Griffiths?

We're talking about Scottish players because Scottish players play for Scotland. My initial point was that English teams generally don't pay top dollar for Scottish players. 

Just now, Chripper said:

Are you joking?

Andy Robertson was every bit the £10+ player when he was at Dundee United and every bit as influential as Van Dijk. So yes, 100% I think nationality comes into it.

Mate, I think it was Lyon who bought Dembele from Celtic for £19m? Griffiths scored 40 odd goals in a season, do you honestly think that Celtic would've received an offer of £19m for Griffiths?

We're talking about Scottish players because Scottish players play for Scotland. My initial point was that English teams generally don't pay top dollar for Scottish players. 

Van Dijk had played in Europe and had some Dutch U21/19 caps. Anyone with half a brain could see he was destined for the top. He also played for a bigger team who could command a bigger transfer fee. Robertson was at Dundee United for one season, prior to which he was plying his trade in the lowest league in Scottish football. He also played for Dundee United, who are hardly financial big hitters who could afford to swat away serious bids. He had only just been capped a few months before Hull came calling. Nothing about those two transfers came down to nationalities.

No, of course I don't. That's not down to nationalities through. Dembele is 10 times the player Griffiths is. He stood out for Celtic on the biggest European stage. He also has tucked away quite a few for the France U21 team and, even before joining Celtic, was very highly rated. He was probably worth more at Fulham than Griffiths ever was.

15 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Van Dijk had played in Europe and had some Dutch U21/19 caps. Anyone with half a brain could see he was destined for the top. He also played for a bigger team who could command a bigger transfer fee. Robertson was at Dundee United for one season, prior to which he was plying his trade in the lowest league in Scottish football. He also played for Dundee United, who are hardly financial big hitters who could afford to swat away serious bids. He had only just been capped a few months before Hull came calling. Nothing about those two transfers came down to nationalities.

No, of course I don't. That's not down to nationalities through. Dembele is 10 times the player Griffiths is. He stood out for Celtic on the biggest European stage. He also has tucked away quite a few for the France U21 team and, even before joining Celtic, was very highly rated. He was probably worth more at Fulham than Griffiths ever was.

So, you're saying that a player's worth is ultimately dictated by the club he's with? I'm not disagreeing with you, just asking. I think we all rate Tierney, but the way that it is now, if Robertson was purchased then it'll be somewhere between £40m-£70m), whereas no team is willing to pay £25m for Tierney.

And you could say that Tierney has more club experience, played more games in Europe, won more medals than Robertson, and he's what, 3 years younger? Are Liverpool bigger than Celtic? I don't know, but the EPL has certainly a far bigger reputation than the SPL. And that's the crux of the matter, an EPL club will never fork out £10m on a Scottish player who has never played outside Scotland. Visit most EPL club forums and they see our league as a team full of farmers. They don't value Scottish football. 

Well, I'm not disputing that Dembele has a better all-round game than Griffiths. However, I'd say that Griffiths might be the better finisher. Two goals against England is nothing to be sniffed at.

Oh wait, Craig Gordon went to Sunderland for £9m a while back. That's the highest one that I can think of.

Edited by Chripper

Big clubs can hold on to their assets and demand bigger prices - that is an undeniable fact as money is not an issue for them as it is to Scottish clubs.

I would say that the reason fees are not so numerous and high for SPL players is for several reasons. The SPL brand is not the strongest so clubs cannot command astronomical fees for their players as EPL or other European clubs will generally look elsewhere. Look at Van Dyk and Robertson as examples. Both obvious talents bought for no eye-dropping fees and now Robertson is suddenly worth 15 times as much as Dundee United got for him and Dyk probably about three times as much. Why? Well I suppose they have now proven they can mix it at top clubs week-in week-out against the best clubs. I would suggest the SPL brand keeps the prices down along with a greater haste to sell than clubs better off will have. 

10 hours ago, Chripper said:

£13m is pretty much the cap of EPL teams paying Scottish clubs.

5 hours ago, Chripper said:

Last June Everton placed a bid of £15m-£18m

Logic isnt your friend.

11 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Logic isnt your friend.

It's not?

Rumour has it that Brendan Rodgers had a "player selling" clause on his contract, like the one Jackie McNamara had at Dundee United. The £15m offer was declined because Rodgers would've gotten a percentage of the sale (around £5m), but now he's gone it'll pave the way for Tierney's exit.

Rumour has it that Man City are looking at Chillwell, so that could signal Tierney's move to Leicester.

I'll reiterate it again, if a team places a bid of £13-£15m Celtic will accept it. 

See? Logic and I are tight. :)