Scottish player transfers - Page 17 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I couldn't imagine it being a long term deal. Remember Gauld has a £60 million sell-on clause so no way could Hibs afford such a signing. It is being reported as a loan deal until the end of the season. 

The £60 million was inserted as an insurance to protect their investments, in case he turned into the Scottish Modric.

They can let him leave for any amount of money they like.

They'll probably let him leave for £0-£250k

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

That's a buy out clause. Sporting can accept any bid they want. A bid that matches the buy out clause means Sporting have got to accept it.   

And you think the buy out cuse won't run into a seven figure sum? Hibs cannot afford that. In any case it has already been said it is a loan deal until the end of the season. 

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

The £60 million was inserted as an insurance to protect their investments, in case he turned into the Scottish Modric.

They can let him leave for any amount of money they like.

They'll probably let him leave for £0-£250k

I think they would want nearer to 1 million for him. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And you think the buy out cuse won't run into a seven figure sum? Hibs cannot afford that. In any case it has already been said it is a loan deal until the end of the season. 

Buyout clauses are the maximum that clubs would have to pay for a player. As has already been said, sporting can accept or reject any offer they like below that level. If they want to sell gauld for 50 pence then they can, likewise if they want to reject £59,999,999.99 they can do that too.

1 hour ago, wee-toon-red said:

Buyout clauses are the maximum that clubs would have to pay for a player. As has already been said, sporting can accept or reject any offer they like below that level. If they want to sell gauld for 50 pence then they can, likewise if they want to reject £59,999,999.99 they can do that too.

Sporting spent supposedly £3 million on Gauld so they would want a sizeable return on him. Amyway it is irrelevant talking of fees as it has already been reported it is a loan deal until the end of the season. 

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sporting spent supposedly £3 million on Gauld so they would want a sizeable return on him. Amyway it is irrelevant talking of fees as it has already been reported it is a loan deal until the end of the season. 

My feeling is that they will be wanting him to give a good enough showing of himself in the Scottish Premiership shop window that someone will be prepared to pay about £1 million for him in the summer and they can clear their hands of him. If they recoup their investment I'll be very surprised, but he is still young and you never know. Just look at Robbo! 

The Gauld this just seems very odd.

Reports say he's flying to the middle east today to meet up with hibs at a training camp.
And that Sporting wanted him to stay in Portugal, but he was so enthusiastic to join Hibs that they've let him have his way.
Sorry, Hibs fans, but that sounds bizarre.

In the summer he was linked with moved away from Sporting.. Supposedly Rangers, and Aberdeen were both in for him at one point and he didnt make any noises about being remotely interested, quite the opposite: "I have two years left on my contract. I love Portugal, I like Portuguese football and I want to stay in this country."

So why he would suddenly have a change of heart, just 4 months later and be so desperate to join a lower end Scottish prem side that his club backed down from what they wanted him to do.. just seems odd.

Gauld has been in Portugal for 4 1/2 years. I am sure it has been a great experience for him but his career has nosedived.

We all had high hopes that Sporting would develop the talent that he had but they seem to have lost interest in him. He has struggled to get games for teams in the Portuguese second division which isn’t a great standard.

Sporting will be wanting shot of him as he is clearly not going to be good enough for them. He still has a year and a half left on his contract. If he goes to Hibs permanently, I would be surprised if it is much into 6 figures.

21 hours ago, andyD said:

The Gauld this just seems very odd.

Reports say he's flying to the middle east today to meet up with hibs at a training camp.
And that Sporting wanted him to stay in Portugal, but he was so enthusiastic to join Hibs that they've let him have his way.
Sorry, Hibs fans, but that sounds bizarre.

In the summer he was linked with moved away from Sporting.. Supposedly Rangers, and Aberdeen were both in for him at one point and he didnt make any noises about being remotely interested, quite the opposite: "I have two years left on my contract. I love Portugal, I like Portuguese football and I want to stay in this country."

So why he would suddenly have a change of heart, just 4 months later and be so desperate to join a lower end Scottish prem side that his club backed down from what they wanted him to do.. just seems odd.

Like I said the other day he has probably seen other players of his age go on to bigger and better things such as Robertson and Fraser and realises he is stagnating in Portugal. It is not like he gave it 6 months before giving up. He has been there 4 and a half years without much first team football until recently. In my eyes it is absolutely the right move and puts him back in the limelight and with a chance of kickstarting his career. 

I am not going to overthink this. The bottom line is he needs this move for the bettering of his career and enhance his profile which was not happening after 4 and a half years in Portugal. I am staggered if anyone sees this as a bad move. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Like I said the other day he has probably seen other players of his age go on to bigger and better things such as Robertson and Fraser and realises he is stagnating in Portugal. It is not like he gave it 6 months before giving up. He has been there 4 and a half years without much first team football until recently. In my eyes it is absolutely the right move and puts him back in the limelight and with a chance of kickstarting his career. 

I am not going to overthink this. The bottom line is he needs this move for the bettering of his career and enhance his profile which was not happening after 4 and a half years in Portugal. I am staggered if anyone sees this as a bad move. 

I agree with this, and I think the same applies to Burke. I hope they can both get things back on track in the SPL over the next 6 months. They just need consistent game time in a reasonable league. 

Let's be honest if they both perform well over the next 6 months they will both get in the squad. They have a great opportunity here to show people what they can really do. These loans are probably make or break for them both now to see if they will be internationals or not. If you are a top player in the SPL you have a chance of playing for Scotland. If you don't perform well in the SPL on the other hand... Then sadly they clearly won't cut it as internationals.

2 hours ago, bazmidd said:

Let's be honest if they both perform well over the next 6 months they will both get in the squad. They have a great opportunity here to show people what they can really do. These loans are probably make or break for them both now to see if they will be internationals or not. If you are a top player in the SPL you have a chance of playing for Scotland. If you don't perform well in the SPL on the other hand... Then sadly they clearly won't cut it as internationals.

You could also say the same about Tony Watt, make or break...in his case it's break.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

You could also say the same about Tony Watt, make or break...in his case it's break.

Yeah definitely agree with that. This season was make or break for him if he had any international aspirations, started well too but has well and truly fizzled out to not even being a guaranteed starter for St Johnstone anymore. Disappointed by him.

42 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I wouldn't say that it was make or break for them. One of them is 23 and the other can still play for our under 21s.

It is a massive opportunity for them, though. Hope they take it.

If you aren't playing well in the SPL between 21 and 23 you really have to question how far you are actually going to go in the game. Sure they may turn out to be decent SPL players but it isn't likely they are going to turn out to be top international players, which is what we all want at the end of the day. Here's hoping they star for Celtic and Hibs over the next 6 months

46 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

If you aren't playing well in the SPL between 21 and 23 you really have to question how far you are actually going to go in the game. Sure they may turn out to be decent SPL players but it isn't likely they are going to turn out to be top international players, which is what we all want at the end of the day. Here's hoping they star for Celtic and Hibs over the next 6 months

No, I agree with that one, but it's still a little bit early to be writing a player off.

Some players are late developers, just look at Paul Lambert. He was always a decent player with Motherwell in the SPL, but he was never a standout. I remember when Dortmund bought him, people in Scotland were scratching their heads and saying that he would be back in Scotland in no time... yes, he was, with a European Cup winner's medal in his suitcase.

I know that it's not a good comparison, but some players blossom differently than others. With Lambert it was the change of position (He was an attacking mid with Motherwell) and the different training methods. Who knows, Rodgers might turn Burke's career around and Lennon with Gauld.

Burke looks like the type of lad who needs a manager to show faith In him and wrap their arm around his shoulder. I think Rogers might be the man to do this. There's a massive talent in there, a definite game-changer, he would be such a potent weapon for Scotland if he could unlock his potential. He just needs to be coached by a top manager and one who knows how to get the best out of him.  

8 hours ago, Chripper said:

No, I agree with that one, but it's still a little bit early to be writing a player off.

Some players are late developers, just look at Paul Lambert. He was always a decent player with Motherwell in the SPL, but he was never a standout. I remember when Dortmund bought him, people in Scotland were scratching their heads and saying that he would be back in Scotland in no time... yes, he was, with a European Cup winner's medal in his suitcase.

I know that it's not a good comparison, but some players blossom differently than others. With Lambert it was the change of position (He was an attacking mid with Motherwell) and the different training methods. Who knows, Rodgers might turn Burke's career around and Lennon with Gauld.

Burke looks like the type of lad who needs a manager to show faith In him and wrap their arm around his shoulder. I think Rogers might be the man to do this. There's a massive talent in there, a definite game-changer, he would be such a potent weapon for Scotland if he could unlock his potential. He just needs to be coached by a top manager and one who knows how to get the best out of him.  

More to the point Burke needs a manager who will put their size 10 boot up his arse and drill it into his head that his attitude needs to change. More work up and down the pitch etc. By various accounts he is a lazy bugger and needs to realise he has to work his socks off at his game for it all to come together. Nobody got anywhere of note in this sport with a poor work ethic. 

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

More to the point Burke needs a manager who will put their size 10 boot up his arse and drill it into his head that his attitude needs to change. More work up and down the pitch etc. By various accounts he is a lazy bugger and needs to realise he has to work his socks off at his game for it all to come together. Nobody got anywhere of note in this sport with a poor work ethic. 

Mathew LeTissier? ;)

I agree, though. He's a luxury player. Luxury players can be forgiven for their laziness if they actually produce the goods. It'll be interesting to find out where Rogers plays him (Let's be fair, I don't think WBA would've sanctioned the loan if they weren't given the assurances that Burke would get game time) We're lacking a striker, so hopefully he plays a fair share up front.

A front three of Fraser, Burke and Forrest could be absolutely devastating!

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I’m totally sure it’s laziness, it could be having the nous to know where to be on the pitch. That said, Dougie Freedman was saying he needed to be taught to mark the full back at corners. Why bother? He should be on the half way line at corners waiting for a clearance. A 60:40 ball in favour of the centre half is his. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

6 hours ago, Chripper said:

Mathew LeTissier? ;)

I agree, though. He's a luxury player. Luxury players can be forgiven for their laziness if they actually produce the goods. It'll be interesting to find out where Rogers plays him (Let's be fair, I don't think WBA would've sanctioned the loan if they weren't given the assurances that Burke would get game time) We're lacking a striker, so hopefully he plays a fair share up front.

A front three of Fraser, Burke and Forrest could be absolutely devastating!

Le Tissier had skill in abundance though, I'm not sure Burke does.

He seemed to break onto the scene due to his pace/power. Without that he is bang average.

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He seemed to break onto the scene due to his pace/power. Without that he is bang average.

Believe me, I wasn't comparing. Le Tissier was a genius.

I don't know. I think the jury is still out on the lad. If he does it in the SPL then that can only a good thing.

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

People who have coached him say he has a lot of technical ability, although I’ve not seen too much evidence of it. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

Definitely don't see these moves for Burke and Gauld as make or break. They're good opportunities to show that they're ready right now. That's about it.

Always worth remembering that Hartley didn't really get going until 27-28, so the idea that Burke will be washed up at 21, is a bit silly if we're honest.