Scottish player transfers - Page 16 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

57 minutes ago, andyD said:

Seems a weird one to me.  He's already on loan, starting every game and just bagged a couple of goals. Why would he want to swap that for hibs? I understand the clubs might be close to an agreement, but i don't see what's in it for Gauld.

Scottish Premiership definitely a higher level than Portuguese 2nd tier. I imagine he's interested in testing himself more. 

25 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Scottish Premiership definitely a higher level than Portuguese 2nd tier. I imagine he's interested in testing himself more. 

he's shown no interest in coming back to the uk in the last few years. and he opted to go on loan to farense, and seems happy enough playing there, given the massive huddles after both his goals last week . it's basically his most successful season in portugal so far, given the pitch time he's getting. so yeah, would be odd to ditch that to essentially come back to the same level he was at 5 years ago and playing a few months at a team which is basically doing nothing this year. he was more than good enough for this level when he left, so not sure what he'd learn from coming back.

i guess he could quietly be disenchanted with playing at farense. just doesnt seem like that's the case.

Edited by andyD

47 minutes ago, andyD said:

he's shown no interest in coming back to the uk in the last few years. and he opted to go on loan to farense, and seems happy enough playing there, given the massive huddles after both his goals last week . it's basically his most successful season in portugal so far, given the pitch time he's getting. so yeah, would be odd to ditch that to essentially come back to the same level he was at 5 years ago and playing a few months at a team which is basically doing nothing this year. he was more than good enough for this level when he left, so not sure what he'd learn from coming back.

i guess he could quietly be disenchanted with playing at farense. just doesnt seem like that's the case.

Agree. The papers last year were reporting that he was enjoying living in Portugal even though he wasn’t getting the game time he wanted. They also had quotes saying he wanted Portuguese citizenship, you need to live in Portugal for 5 years to gain this...he’s still 6months away from this. Don’t see why he’d swap this to join hibs on loan for 6 months. 

If he continues to do well at Farense, he’ll either get promoted as (hopefully) one of there star players or sign for a bigger Portuguese team or potentially another European top flight team.

If he left now I’d be dissapointed, he’s settled in his current team and he’d be effectively be giving up on his dream of playing at a high level in Europe.

21 hours ago, andyD said:

Seems a weird one to me.  He's already on loan, starting every game and just bagged a couple of goals. Why would he want to swap that for hibs? I understand the clubs might be close to an agreement, but i don't see what's in it for Gauld.

Gives him a chance of being seen by McLeish? 

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Gives him a chance of being seen by McLeish? 

This is the most plausible reason.

Okay I get the point that he knows and we know he can cut it in the SPL but maybe he just feels he is stagnating in the second tier of Portugese football where he feels wasted and ignored. It may be that he feels he is destined not to get to the level he wanted going down the Portugese route and wants to try a different avenue. Remember that he may very well have been at a similar level five years ago to Andrew Robertson talent and expectations-wise and he is looking on with envy at his fellow Scot's success and he wants some of that and sees the move to Hibs to bring him back to prominence.

47 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

It would be good for Scotland if he can develop into a striker. With a front three of Forrest, Burke and Fraser, a simple ball over the top would cause panic. 

Rodgers continues to try and develop young players

As opposed to most other managers methods

The longer he's at Celtic the better for our national team

Yep. It's a done deal. 6 month loan deal.

Oliver Burke to Celtic. If he gets games then I'm all for it.

The Scotsman have reported that Hibs have agreed a deal to bring Ryan Gauld back to Scotland. They don't mention if it's permanent or a loan deal, though.

Shinnie is being linked with Hull City and Brentford.

Edited by Chripper

18 minutes ago, Chripper said:

The Scotsman have reported that Hibs have agreed a deal to bring Ryan Gauld back to Scotland. They don't mention if it's permanent or a loan deal, though.

Which one? I presume Graeme but Andy is playing really well for Luton atm, think he'll be back in championship and actually playing for someone in it next season.

21 hours ago, Chripper said:

I couldn't imagine it being a long term deal. Remember Gauld has a £60 million sell-on clause so no way could Hibs afford such a signing. It is being reported as a loan deal until the end of the season. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I couldn't imagine it being a long term deal. Remember Gauld has a £60 million sell-on clause so no way could Hibs afford such a signing. It is being reported as a loan deal until the end of the season. 

That's a buy out clause. Sporting can accept any bid they want. A bid that matches the buy out clause means Sporting have got to accept it.