Scottish player transfers - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

35 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I know a few Luton fans who were giving it the 'he's not good enough for league 2' nonsense, so if he does go, hope all the best for him.

Of course he is good enough for league 2, but at his age it is hardly career development no matter how well he does. Bad as I think the SPL is he would face better opposition up here.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

I think there is a degree of a transition period at Villa at the moment after just being bought by the richest man from Egypt.

I think McGinn and a Norwegian Goalkeeper are the only signings they have made (as well as a couple of loans, inc a keeper from Atletico Madrid), plus keeping hold of Jack Grealish this summer was the top priority to a degree.

Would imagine there will be a lot of activity for them today.

Maybe not win the league, but will be there or there abouts this season I am sure.

I agree with a lot of this.  While you can never be certain about new owners, one thing that is certain is that Villa's big problems over the last few years were directly related to Randy Lerner.  

I reckon Villa push for promotion this season and I also expect that McGinn will feature prominently for them.   He's the sort of players that managers love as he's always looking to improve himself and has a great attitude.  Funnily enough managers reckon that they can trust players like that and tend to pick them.

Bruce is also a decent manager and has been successful at that level in the past.

Of the various options that were being touted for him, I think Villa's probably the best move.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Don't think we're in a position to be picky.

Or does sitting on the bench in the EPL like McTominay etc make you more worthy of a place?

Bench EPL/Starting some EPL games as McTominay does, does justify inclusion more than playing in league 2 IMO yes.

Irrelevant as it’s different positions though but if it was a right back and a right back then I would say so yes. 

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Ryan Gauld's gone on loan to Farense. Find this odd. If Sporting Lisbon have no intention of playing him they'd sell him. So this implies they have plans for him, surely?

If he plays absolutely every week some good may come of it, but I’m starting to think he’d be better clearing out of there. An Aberdeen or Rangers would have been better. 

30 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

If he plays absolutely every week some good may come of it, but I’m starting to think he’d be better clearing out of there. An Aberdeen or Rangers would have been better. 

Would he even get a game for Rangers. Unsure of his level especially after nearly 5 years with no football.

Shame but I fear he will be released and end up playing for the likes of Hibs and have a solid SPL career rather than get anywhere close to the hype. 

8 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Would he even get a game for Rangers. Unsure of his level especially after nearly 5 years with no football.

Shame but I fear he will be released and end up playing for the likes of Hibs and have a solid SPL career rather than get anywhere close to the hype. 

But the question is why not release him now? Maybe there's still a future with them?

3 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Ryan Gauld's gone on loan to Farense. Find this odd. If Sporting Lisbon have no intention of playing him they'd sell him. So this implies they have plans for him, surely?

Are they in the second division on Portugal - if so its very concerning that no top league team in the country was interested in taking him 

10 hours ago, borojock said:

Are they in the second division on Portugal - if so its very concerning that no top league team in the country was interested in taking him 

Yeah I feel we're too skewed in our perception of how good he is. Beginning to feel like a Peter Marinello career (way before my time but read his bio recently)

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

A likely story. 😂

It's true (well, I only graced the earth with my presence after he left Motherwell) ...and it felt brilliant being able to say that - given that just about every other current footballing fact seems to bang in about players born after 2000 etc and makes me feel ancient 😁😁

11 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

It's true (well, I only graced the earth with my presence after he left Motherwell) ...and it felt brilliant being able to say that - given that just about every other current footballing fact seems to bang in about players born after 2000 etc and makes me feel ancient 😁😁

With Marinello the main problem was alcohol. Don’t think Gauld is a drinker and so bit odd that he has played so few games since he left United. He did quite well in his first season away and did well on loan at one of the other top league teams. Maybe if he can get 20+ games it will be the making of him but it doesn’t look like he will become the player many were expecting 

Edited by GHfaeGTA

On 9/1/2018 at 9:41 AM, ProudScot said:

Rochdale.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Daily Record reporting that Bates is being tracked by several Premier league clubs: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/former-rangers-defender-david-bates-13453012

All just paper talk but still interesting.

Think he needs to stay and prove himself in the Bundesliga before moving. Impressive stats through, 5 clean sheets in 7 starts, then they concede 9 in 2 without him

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

4 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Think he needs to stay and prove himself in the Bundesliga before moving. Impressive stats through, 5 clean sheets in 7 starts, then they concede 9 in 2 without him

Yeah, I always feel it's a shame when players rush back too soon. If it continues he'll be playing Bayern Munich next season.

It's just good to know he's well regarded. Along with McKenna, Robertson, Souttar and Tierney we are starting to see choice at the back amongst young lads. If Porteous and Hendry do make it then  It's vert positive.

Still not a single right back 😫

55 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Yeah, I always feel it's a shame when players rush back too soon. If it continues he'll be playing Bayern Munich next season.

It's just good to know he's well regarded. Along with McKenna, Robertson, Souttar and Tierney we are starting to see choice at the back amongst young lads. If Porteous and Hendry do make it then  It's vert positive.

18 year old Kieran Freeman is almost back from injury at Southampton. He’s a Performance School graduate who plays right back and I believe he was very highly rated when at Dundee Utd. One to keep an eye on. I can still see Ross McRorie ending up in the position, too. 

1 hour ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Stephen O’Donnell is a right back. Not that he’s being played in that position much but he’s still a right back. 

• 1 month later...