Scottish player transfers - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

28 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Liam Henderson has signed for Hellas Verona, he'll be playing in Serie B again though.

Had hoped that he would have been picked up by a Serie A team.

Man of the match in their game at the weekend.

Apparently he had the option of some Serie A clubs, but Verona appointed Fabio Grosso during the summer who took Henderson to Bari, and after Bari went bust took a couple of players who were free that he had in his Bari team last season.

Suspect he could play his way into a squad place if he keeps up making headlines in Italy.

8 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Suspect he could play his way into a squad place if he keeps up making headlines in Italy. 

Can you make headlines in Italy playing in Serie B?
I can't remember the last time an English Championship player made the headlines in England.

I think given the leage, he'll been to have exceptional number in order to make a squad. Center mid is still well stocked with good players at good levels.

12 minutes ago, andyD said:

I can't remember the last time an English Championship player made the headlines in England.

I think given the leage, he'll been to have exceptional number in order to make a squad. Center mid is still well stocked with good players at good levels.

More stuff like this and you would think so (still a reasonable level!)

https://twitter.com/VeronaArb/status/1026414831094648832

26 minutes ago, andyD said:

Greaish making some headlines with his proposed move to Spurs at the moment 

21 hours ago, borojock said:

Greaish making some headlines with his proposed move to Spurs at the moment 

I meant with their play.
Did Grealish's assist last week make the headlines? or any of his 8 last season or any of his 3 goals for that matter? Of course they didn't. Probably not even a headline in the Birmingham Gazette.

I'm not sure what the better move is for McGinn here. In the past I would always say test yourself at a higher level, but Rodgers has done a cracking job of improving the Scottish lads at Celtic the last couple of years. A similar route down south via Celtic like Stuart Armstrong may work better in the long run

Edited by bazmidd

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Confirmed. Undisclosed fee.

Much better move for McGinn. Will play more for villa. When you look at the examples of players going to the old firm over the years and just lately... Christie, Morgan, Docherty and soon hendry. young scottish players need to stay away from the old firm

Joe Bryan signing for Fulham today - Another left back! 

His only international exposure is being called up to our under 21s & being part of the squad but withdrawn because of concussion.

I guess as he’s only been in our squads we give him the benefit of the doubt that he feels Scottish... 

We would do well to get Bryan capped. Another who can play anywhere on the left. Would not be disappointed to see him, Tierney and Robertson all starting. Cracking player, with stats suggesting best left back in the Championship the last 2 seasons. 24 yr old, athletic, strong defender, great pace and capable of delivering good crosses. 

13 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

On one hand, I like Rodgers as he gives Scottish talent a chance. On the other, I'm glad he went to AV, just because Celtic were pissing Hibs about with the fee

Agreed. It's been quite amusing seeing Celtic fans at work giving it "he's no that good anyway" through petted lips. 

Should be a good move for him. 

48 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

When he could be playing Livingston instead, still the most depressing move this summer. 

Not actually happened yet has it? So i wouldn't get too down about it.

From his point of view, i can see why it appeals. He'd probably get a decent pay rise and he's joining a club that's very likely to bounce back to the Championship this season and has the potential to push on.

Would be bad news for Donald Love tho. He looked like he might actually get a run as a 1st choice right back for once.. this would crush that and leave him in limbo going into his 24th birthday. From playing in the Europa League for Man Utd to not getting a game in League One.. eesh.

16 hours ago, JECK said:

We could really do with him in the EPL. Hopefully villa are set properly for promotion this season and are not another Leeds/forest. A move to Celtic would be boringly predictable. 

If anything Villa are weaker than last season. Snodgrass was massive for them and hasn't been replaced. Grabban scored a lot of goals for them in the 2nd half of the season, and he's now at Forest. Their first choice keeper was on loan from West Brom and he's obviously not back at West Brom. Onomah played quite a lot, he's gone. And John Terry played more games than not and he's gone without being replaced.

If I was a Villa fan I'd be expecting midtable, praying to scrape into the playoffs if they're really lucky. They have no money to speak of any more and if they're not already hit by FFP, they are very likely to be.

That leaves McGinn in the Championship for the forseeable future. The problem is that atm he wouldn't get in the side.. and even if Grealish goes.. is he really better than both Bjarnason and Gardner? Feels like Villa may have signed him for a couple of years down the line, when Grealihs is gone and Whelan and Bjarnason are past their best.

Hopefully McGinn will surprise me and be in the starting 11 come xmas.

14 minutes ago, andyD said:

If anything Villa are weaker than last season. Snodgrass was massive for them and hasn't been replaced. Grabban scored a lot of goals for them in the 2nd half of the season, and he's now at Forest. Their first choice keeper was on loan from West Brom and he's obviously not back at West Brom. Onomah played quite a lot, he's gone. And John Terry played more games than not and he's gone without being replaced.

If I was a Villa fan I'd be expecting midtable, praying to scrape into the playoffs if they're really lucky. They have no money to speak of any more and if they're not already hit by FFP, they are very likely to be.

That leaves McGinn in the Championship for the forseeable future. The problem is that atm he wouldn't get in the side.. and even if Grealish goes.. is he really better than both Bjarnason and Gardner? Feels like Villa may have signed him for a couple of years down the line, when Grealihs is gone and Whelan and Bjarnason are past their best.

Hopefully McGinn will surprise me and be in the starting 11 come xmas.

I think there is a degree of a transition period at Villa at the moment after just being bought by the richest man from Egypt.

I think McGinn and a Norwegian Goalkeeper are the only signings they have made (as well as a couple of loans, inc a keeper from Atletico Madrid), plus keeping hold of Jack Grealish this summer was the top priority to a degree.

Would imagine there will be a lot of activity for them today.

Maybe not win the league, but will be there or there abouts this season I am sure.