Scottish player transfers - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

2 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Is the McKenna deal very likely then? Not heard anything for a while.

Yes, Swansea have contacted Aberdeen declaring their interest, and I would imagine so long as they receive fair money, Aberdeen wouldn't stand in McKenna's way. But £2 million isn't going to cut it, Hull tried around that figure four times in January and got told to bolt each time.

38 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Yes, Swansea have contacted Aberdeen declaring their interest, and I would imagine so long as they receive fair money, Aberdeen wouldn't stand in McKenna's way. But £2 million isn't going to cut it, Hull tried around that figure four times in January and got told to bolt each time.

Realistically how much money could any team aside from Celtic in Scotland turn down for any player.

Would expect him to move this window to England for around 2.5-3M + add ons

1 hour ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Stand in the way of what? overrated english 2nd tier football? granted his wage packet will be better but he's the best prospect Aberdeen have had in years. He's already playing way above his experience level. another half season like last and there will be some real teams sniffing about Mckenna, not some tin pot shite club like feckin swansea😆

59 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Stand in the way of what? overrated english 2nd tier football? granted his wage packet will be better but he's the best prospect Aberdeen have had in years. He's already playing way above his experience level. another half season like last and there will be some real teams sniffing about Mckenna, not some tin pot shite club like feckin swansea😆

I agree with you that he's getting great experience at Aberdeen and playing another couple of seasons of first team football at the Dons would be great for his development and I hope that he does that

However disagree with you on your opinions of the Championship and Swansea. Championship is light years ahead of the SPL (sadly) and i think Swansea are a great club who play attractive attacking football, go about their business in the right way and have developed some good youngsters in the last few years - if he was to move South could do a lot worse then going to Swansea

28 minutes ago, borojock said:

However disagree with you on your opinions of the Championship and Swansea. Championship is light years ahead of the SPL

Stopped reading at this pish.

There's plenty more money, the standard is nowhere near miles better than the SPFL, never mind light years.

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Realistically how much money could any team aside from Celtic in Scotland turn down for any player.

I think they’d accept £4M, although I think he may end up going for a lot more next time, the reason being he’s not just bulky, he’s also fast.

28 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

There's plenty more money, the standard is nowhere near miles better than the SPFL, never mind light years.

This 1000000000 time this

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Given that Killie got £2m for a player over 10 years ago, having turned down several much lower bids at a time when we were £10m in debt, then I think it's fair to say that  Aberdeen can/will hold on for more than £3m if they wish. Dundee Utd got £3m for Gauld and I'd say that McKenna is far less a gamble for a buying club. Hibs also got £4m+ for Brown as they refused to sell for peanuts.

Hibs have knocked back £2m+ for a player who can sign a pre contract in January, so I think the days of clubs taking the first £1m+ bid are in the past. Hibs also got £4m+ for Brown as they refused to sell for peanuts.

Hearts got £9m for Gordon over a decade ago too. You need a willing seller, as well as buyer.

Countless examples of non old firm clubs getting decent money for players and I can certainly see Aberdeen playing hardball with McKenna fee. He's an international, who's already captained his country and still very young. No reason why they can't hold out for more than what you say.

10 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I agree there is plenty more money which allows you to build better stadiums and training facilities to improve the quality of your playing squad, it allows you to employ better managers, coaches and backroom staff to improve the quality of your playing squad, it also allows you to buy better players which improves the quality of your playing squad. And all the clubs in the Championship probably have more money then everyone in the SPL apart from Celtic  which means the whole league is doing the above so your playing against better teams, players and managers which helps to improve the quality of your playing squad.

If you were to look at stadiums, training facilities, managers/coaching staff and quality of players playing in the league - please tell me where the SPL (not just Celtic but the whole league) comes close the the Championship 

Grounds - Championship stadiums way more modern with better facilities and pitches then everything outside of Celtic Park and Ibrox

Training Facilities - If you compared the training facilities at Middlesbrough, Stoke, Derby, Villa, Sheff Utd against anything outside of Murray Park or Lennoxtown its of a significant better standard.

Managers / Coaches - In the Championship Bielsa (ex Argies manager), Karanka (Real assistant), Clement (coached at some of the best clubs in the world with some of the managers), Steve McLaren (won the Dutch league). The wide variety of coaches, analysts, sports scientists etc that they have which most of the SPL clubs don't employ. If you want to slag the aforementioned names please tell me how Levein, Stubbs, Clarke, Lennon and McInness all performed in England as all resoundingly failed in the Championship but doing alright in Scotland 

Players playing in the league - The calibre and quality of player playing that league is much better then anything outside of Celtic - the Championship teams have the money to buy any player in Scotland outside of Celtics top players but they rarely do why cause the majority of the players arent good enough. SPL players go to League 1 now not the Championship   

If you disagree please point out where my argument is incorrect - i love Scottish football and our league but lets be honest its not of a high quality 

20 minutes ago, borojock said:

Obviously im missing how the SPL is comparable to the Championship in quality - tell me where and how it is  

For me the championship may have all this better finance, training facilities (hibs/hearts no far behind with their trading grounds these days), coaching and managers but when it comes to the actual product on the park the standard is not "light years" ahead; it is is fact highly comparable probably barring the top end. For me that is a pretty shite return from all that available investment - the fact it is not "light years" ahead when it should be.

21 minutes ago, borojock said:

in the league - please tell me where the SPL (not just Celtic but the whole league) comes close the the Championship 

Grounds - Championship stadiums way more modern with better facilities and pitches then everything outside of Celtic Park and Ibrox! 

Haha, aye no bother pal. Shiteholes like Loftus Road, Brammell Lane, Hillborough etc are way more modern than Tynecastle, Easter Road. Have you been to Loftus Road? Rugby Park has better facilities and it's nowhere near the standard of Easter Road or Tynecastle.  You know the two stadiums that are completely rebuilt this century?

24 minutes ago, borojock said:

Training Facilities - If you compared the training facilities at Middlesbrough, Stoke, Derby, Villa, Sheff Utd against anything outside of Murray Park or Lennoxtown its of a significant better standard.

Again, you're being very selective here. I know my club are building their own training ground just now but Hearts and Hibs both have training grounds that are state of the art.  In case you didn't know, not many SPFL sides train on public parks.

26 minutes ago, borojock said:

Managers / Coaches - In the Championship Bielsa (ex Argies manager), Karanka (Real assistant), Clement (coached at some of the best clubs in the world with some of the managers), Steve McLaren (won the Dutch league). The wide variety of coaches, analysts, sports scientists etc that they have which most of the SPL clubs don't employ. If you want to slag the aforementioned names please tell me how Levein, Stubbs, Clarke, Lennon and McInness all performed in England as all resoundingly failed in the Championship but doing alright in Scotland 

Clement has coached at some of the best clubs in the world - how was he as a boss? How was Karanka a boss? You know, Steve Clarke has coached at some of the best clubs in the world. He also took WBA to their highest ever EPL finish?

Before you slag those guys in Scotland, how did McLaren do as boss of? How did Clement do as a manager in his own right? A year at Derby? Less than a year at Swansea?

35 minutes ago, borojock said:

Players playing in the league - The calibre and quality of player playing that league is much better then anything outside of Celtic - the Championship teams have the money to buy any player in Scotland outside of Celtics top players but they rarely do why cause the majority of the players arent good enough. SPL players go to League 1 now not the Championship   

This bit is hilarious. Don't even know where to start with it. It's complete and utter nonsense. I could give you a long list of players who went from the SPL to the championship (from smaller sides) got nowhere near the Sootland side and skooshed that league. Craig Bryson for starters.

38 minutes ago, borojock said:

If you disagree please point out where my argument is incorrect - i love Scottish football and our league but lets be honest its not of a high quality 

Perhaps you shouldn't be so ignorant before posting utter made up nonsense then. I'm not saying Scottish football is great by any manner of means but it's nowhere near as big a gap between the Championship and the SPFL as you seem to suggest continually.  

10 minutes ago, JECK said:

For me the championship may have all this better finance, training facilities (hibs/hearts no far behind with their trading grounds these days), coaching and managers but when it comes to the actual product on the park the standard is not "light years" ahead; it is is fact highly comparable probably barring the top end. For me that is a pretty shite return from all that available investment - the fact it is not "light years" ahead when it should be.

Bang on the money.

1 hour ago, borojock said:

I agree there is plenty more money which allows you to build better stadiums and training facilities to improve the quality of your playing squad, it allows you to employ better managers, coaches and backroom staff to improve the quality of your playing squad, it also allows you to buy better players which improves the quality of your playing squad. And all the clubs in the Championship probably have more money then everyone in the SPL apart from Celtic  which means the whole league is doing the above so your playing against better teams, players and managers which helps to improve the quality of your playing squad.

If you were to look at stadiums, training facilities, managers/coaching staff and quality of players playing in the league - please tell me where the SPL (not just Celtic but the whole league) comes close the the Championship 

Grounds - Championship stadiums way more modern with better facilities and pitches then everything outside of Celtic Park and Ibrox

Championship is better than SPFL, but end of the day that all comes down to money, and that’s the by all and end all of it.

Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts etc can not compete with the big midland clubs, and to an extent Boro, Sunderland, Ipswich, Swansea etc.... so more money does result in a higher standard of players and managers.

but does that buy you success? Bristol City are often spoken about as the sleeping giant of English football, as Bristol is bigger than Edinburgh, and they have a large catchment area of the likes of Bath and Gloucester where there is no football of a reasonable standard.... yet have gone something like 35 years since they last played at a higher level than what they are just now..... and yet Hibs and Hearts have had a lot more success over that similar time frame.

championship is better because it has money, but it’s nowhere near as good as top to bottom as you make out.

Clemant has a proven track record as a number 2, but has yet to prove himself on his own.... McLaren is only at that level because his name is mud in English football, but still a big enough name for a Championship side to take a punt on

Also regards to stadiums, Brentford have been trying for 20 years to get a new ground built and at last getting it done, and Millwall live under the fear that the local council will kick them out year after year.

St Mirren, Hibs, Hearts, Patrick, Killie etc stadiums suit their neeeds just fine, so no need for them to build beyond their needs.

Don’t Hibs and Hearts have their own training grounds? (Granted shared with universities) and Patrick have just announced work will start soon on a multi-million pound complex out at Robroyston. 

19 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Don’t Hibs and Hearts have their own training grounds? (Granted shared with universities) and Patrick have just announced work will start soon on a multi-million pound complex out at Robroyston

Patrick 👎

Thistle's training ground will be on the left-hand side of the A803 between the Stables bar and the western edge of Kirkintilloch. Relatively near to Kirkie Rob Roy's old ground at Adamslie.

On 7/30/2018 at 11:32 PM, Malcolm said:

Totally agree...  international football is a joke.  If this lad ends up an England player I am on the verge of packing up international football as it’s becoming meaningless.  He has grown up in Scotland, no doubt supported Scotland all his days, used all our facilities... and just cos he turns out to be quite good can decide he will play for England?  Well....  your either with us or against us.

On what basis does he qualify for England? Birth? Parentage? Residency? And where does that leave the gentlemen's agreement between the 4 home nations?

7 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

On what basis does he qualify for England? Birth? Parentage? Residency? And where does that leave the gentlemen's agreement between the 4 home nations?

Born in London. Moved to Scotland when he was just a few weeks old I believe.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

This bit is hilarious. Don't even know where to start with it. It's complete and utter nonsense. I could give you a long list of players who went from the SPL to the championship (from smaller sides) got nowhere near the Sootland side and skooshed that league. Craig Bryson for starters.

Not sure this is one of the better parts of your argument, I would say the opposite is true. Lots of players who left here looking good have been found out as average at best down south, yet some who have been dumped down south have come back up here and are mentioned as Scotland possibles again. Saying that players who have skooshed the championship don't get near the Scotland team ignores the fact that bar the recent friendlies no one out side of Celtic gets near the Scotland team. There might be a couple about at the moment but they wont be here for long.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Haha, aye no bother pal. Shiteholes like Loftus Road, Brammell Lane, Hillborough etc are way more modern than Tynecastle, Easter Road. Have you been to Loftus Road? Rugby Park has better facilities and it's nowhere near the standard of Easter Road or Tynecastle.  You know the two stadiums that are completely rebuilt this century?

Again, you're being very selective here. I know my club are building their own training ground just now but Hearts and Hibs both have training grounds that are state of the art.  In case you didn't know, not many SPFL sides train on public parks.

Clement has coached at some of the best clubs in the world - how was he as a boss? How was Karanka a boss? You know, Steve Clarke has coached at some of the best clubs in the world. He also took WBA to their highest ever EPL finish?

Before you slag those guys in Scotland, how did McLaren do as boss of? How did Clement do as a manager in his own right? A year at Derby? Less than a year at Swansea?

Perhaps you shouldn't be so ignorant before posting utter made up nonsense then. I'm not saying Scottish football is great by any manner of means but it's nowhere near as big a gap between the Championship and the SPFL as you seem to suggest continually.  

Appreciate your reply and respect your opinion but i promise you i'm not being ignorant as i follow Scottish and English football as much as you i'm sure & the fact i have a difference of opinion to yours doesn't make it ignorant.

Putting aside the stadium, training facilities and coaching debate, which i still think are light years ahead of what the SPL has as an average

The biggest factor which demonstrates that the Championship is well ahead of the SPL, for me, is the quality of the players on the pitch. 

Look at the Aberdeen squad, the 2nd best team in Scotland for the last few years. Its full of players whose career has been under the championship level in England. Lewis, Logan, Cosgrove, McGinn, Tansey, May, Forester, Ball. These players cant make it in the Championship yet they can be playing for the 2nd best team in Scotland. How many of the scottish players are Championship clubs sniffing around cos these guys play regularly for the second best team in Scotland. McLean (on a free) and McKenna, only 2 for the second best team in the SPL 

Then look at the players playing at the lower part of the SPL and these guys couldn't even dream of a Championship career, Hamilton for example. McGowan from Morecombe, Bingham from Hartlepool, Miller from Carshalton Athlectic (no im not making this up), Taiwo came from Carlisle, Penny couldnt make it at Peterborough, Kelly joined from Grimsby. If you think im being unfair picking Hamilton this example could have been repeated with the same success with most of the SPL clubs in the bottom 6 last season 

Then lets look at the players who have performed well in the SPL - Higdon player of the year '13 went down south after a year on the continent quickly ended up at Bangor, Louis Moult goal machine in the SPL moved to championship hows he fared down there injuries aside struggling to get a game

Lets look at the SPL top goal scorers of all time. Boyd flunked in the championship with Boro, Riordan Bristol Rovers and York managed 11 games and 0 goals, McDonald did OK to be fair not a great return at Boro and 5 goals in 56 at Millwall not fantastic but managed to earn that move back up North to bang the goals in the SPL, Stokes goal record nothing down South, Higdon weve gone through him already, Colin Nish the name just backs my argument up. Yes Larsson, Hartson and Miller had good careers.

Yes theres been a few players that have moved from the SPL to Championship and had respectable careers but wouldnt we expect that over an 8 year period. If we looked over an 8 year period, as thats when Bryson moved down south, if the SPL was of a silmilar or close standard to the Championship wouldnt you have expected many many more players to move down to the Championship then acutually have done. I know the players would jump at the chance due to the bigger pay packet they can get down there so i would assume, and maybe im wrong, that the championship clubs just dont rate the players in our league 

I could flip it on its side and look at the Championship players and how many from the lower part of the championship would get into the rangers, aberdeen, hearts, hibs team. If you want me to do this to further validate my argument that the calibre of players in the Championship is light years ahead of the SPL let me know 

Would love to hear your response with detail, rather than naming one player in Craig Bryson, of how the players in the SPL on average are around the same level of quality as the players in the Championship