Scottish player transfers - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

2 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Alan Tate had played for Swansea for years and was previously captain there.

Sorry to say it but your view of the strength of Rangers is quite outdated given that they have been inferior to Aberdeen and quite a long way off Celtic. At the moment Rangers are a similar quality level to Hibs and Aberdeen.

Given the money that the bigger teams in League One can pay, it's no surprise that lads like McGeouch choose to go down there. On McInnes, he is limited but all the Bristol City fans I have spoken to have said he literally had no chance given the budget was cut by 75% months after he kept them up then by 75% again the following season.

Ultimately different players suit different leagues.

I get completely why you think my view of Rangers is skewed off the last few seasons (for the record im not a rangers fan) and agree they are miles off Celtic not even playing the same game 

But why i think Rangers are operating at a higher level then Aberdeen is based on where i think they will be this season and the next few. If i was looking at last season and the couple before i would agree with you that Rangers would be at a lower level then Aberdeen and would say Rangers are an english league 1 club level which i think they have been since they have gone down to the bottom level.

But i think Rangers are progressing in a better direction then Aberdeen because

Aberdeen lost some key players - O'Connor (played a lot of games for them -  gone to league 1), Arnason (didn't play much but a lot of experience and leadership qualities to help others in the squad), Christie gone who was arguably their most creative player, McLean gone mainstay in the team

They have been replaced with players not as good in my opinion - Lewis Ferguson (young inexperienced and a gamble), Gleeson and Forrestor possibly improve them but im not sold on it 

I think the players rangers are bringing in are better quality then what Aberdeen have and have brought in - Murphy, Arfield, McGregor, Goldson, Flanagan. I think Rangers woefully under performed last season due to poor managers, no strong organisation or management at the club & if they can get some control and stability i think they will have a significantly improved season whereas i dont think Aberdeen will be as good as they have been the last few seasons

Also I also think Rangers have at least english championship quality training ground/facilities, stadium & financial backing which i dont think Aberdeen have

3 hours ago, borojock said:

I get completely why you think my view of Rangers is skewed off the last few seasons (for the record im not a rangers fan) and agree they are miles off Celtic not even playing the same game 

But why i think Rangers are operating at a higher level then Aberdeen is based on where i think they will be this season and the next few. If i was looking at last season and the couple before i would agree with you that Rangers would be at a lower level then Aberdeen and would say Rangers are an english league 1 club level which i think they have been since they have gone down to the bottom level.

Aberdeen lost some key players - O'Connor (played a lot of games for them -  gone to league 1), Arnason (didn't play much but a lot of experience and leadership qualities to help others in the squad), Christie gone who was arguably their most creative player, McLean gone mainstay in the team

They have been replaced with players not as good in my opinion - Lewis Ferguson (young inexperienced and a gamble), Gleeson and Forrestor possibly improve them but im not sold on it 

I think the players rangers are bringing in are better quality then what Aberdeen have and have brought in - Murphy, Arfield, McGregor, Goldson, Flanagan. I think Rangers woefully under performed last season due to poor managers, no strong organisation or management at the club & if they can get some control and stability i think they will have a significantly improved season whereas i dont think Aberdeen will be as good as they have been the last few seasons

Also I also think Rangers have at least english championship quality training ground/facilities, stadium & financial backing which i dont think Aberdeen have

How can you say buying a young and inexperienced player in Lewis Ferguson for 100k is a gamble? He will be developed and could be sold on for more money in the future.

The only player Aberdeen have lost who they will struggle to replace is Kenny Maclean but Forrester could be that man. Ryan Christie didn't do anything of note towards the end of the last season and Arnason was diabolical towards the end of last season and will be replaced by Mikey Devlin who has experience in the league.

If Aberdeen keep McKenna they will be challenging for 2nd again next season.

3 hours ago, borojock said:

Totally understandable. Why I would disagree would be the two big things you mention there around organisation and financial stability - Rangers will not have either of those for the foreseeable future. The club is a shambles. I was speaking to one of their full time youth coaches about two months back now, and he was pretty uncompromising in describing the shambles that the club is in overall.

Gerrard will improve the on-field side of it but so long as they remain so disorganised off the park, I can't see them pulling massively away from Hibs and Aberdeen or closing on Celtic.

13 hours ago, scotlad said:

And pretty useless for Thistle he was too.  Ditto Mathias Pogba, who also scored fairly regularly in the lower tiers of he English league.

Aye, told a number of Jags fans that he is not all that good (can run, and maybe got a goal or two in him, but that is his full season in a nut shell).

Same last summer, Lyle Taylor was apparently in Glasgow for talks about a return to Thistle and forums were in melt down about how could a tin pot team from a tin pot league afford higher wages than AFCW 😂

Back to subject, reports Newcastle have rejected Stokes Ricthie offer, but sounds like he wants away to be closer to his family in the south of England (surely Stoke is not that much further south in the grand scheme of things?)

21 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

In sadder news Reading have signed Marc McNulty.

Interesting to see how he performs in the Championship. Whilst it was only League 2 he was very impressive this season.

That’s a decent move for him, hope he copes with the step up.

Not a senior team player, but Ross Doohan who was one of the two keepers for the u21's in Toulon has signed a season long loan at Ayr Utd.  He will definitely be starting the season as first choice keeper so will be interesting to see how he does. 

23 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Has ever a player with great potential gone into more rapid decline than Tony Watt?

You'd struggle to find anyone, in real danger of going to semi-pro/amateur level if he doesn't get a grip over the next year or two.

That said I actually think this could turn out well for him. Tommy Wright won't accept a lazy attitude and is known for demanding his players give absolutely everything. He clearly has talent, but it's really last chance saloon for Tony Watt now.

8 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Bit depressing to read that Swansea are rumoured to be lining up a £2million bid for McKenna. Just £2million? Really?

Aberdeen need to hold out and try and get 4m. English clubs have no respect for the Scottish league so they put in low ball offers.

Liam Henderson looks set to be staying in Italy next season and heavily linked with Hellas Verona today.

Still Serie B, but imagine if he keeps his form that he had at Bari, would maybe find his way into Ecks plans for a call up.

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

Liam Henderson looks set to be staying in Italy next season and heavily linked with Hellas Verona today.

Still Serie B, but imagine if he keeps his form that he had at Bari, would maybe find his way into Ecks plans for a call up.

I read yesterday that Bari have been relegated to Serie D (for financial irregularities, that old classic of Italian football). 

In view of that, a move to Verona would be a good one.

6 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I read yesterday that Bari have been relegated to Serie D (for financial irregularities, that old classic of Italian football). 

In view of that, a move to Verona would be a good one.

Four year deal agreed apparently (just waiting on approval from Italian FA over the status of his Bari contract, but looks a done deal) 

On 7/13/2018 at 6:35 AM, Hercules Rockefeller said:

You'd struggle to find anyone, in real danger of going to semi-pro/amateur level if he doesn't get a grip over the next year or two.

That said I actually think this could turn out well for him. Tommy Wright won't accept a lazy attitude and is known for demanding his players give absolutely everything. He clearly has talent, but it's really last chance saloon for Tony Watt now.

Well said. If there’s a club in the top flight who can’t afford someone to go hiding it’s Saints. As small as we are our success over recent years is down to team-like hard graft. No chance of a superstar turning it on only when he can be arsed at a side like us. 

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

Four year deal agreed apparently (just waiting on approval from Italian FA over the status of his Bari contract, but looks a done deal) 

If he was offered an opportunity at several Serie A clubs then it looks like he's made a thought through decision. Staying with a manger where there is mutual respect seems sensible when he's only been Italy a few months.