Saltires in Russia - anyone going? - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Saltires in Russia - anyone going?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to my sixth group game tonight in Samara, where I've been based for the past fortnight after the opening game. Jumped over to Saransk last week for Japan v Colombia. 24 hours on a train there and back.

My first two knockout games are France v Argentina in Kazan on Saturday then Brazil v Mexico back here in Samara on Monday.

To be honest, most of the football has been shite.

I'm also going to the Kazan quarter-final, third place play-off and, assuming the ticket has arrived at my hotel  the St Petersburg semi-final.

8 minutes ago, VASCO said:

I'm going to my sixth group game tonight in Samara, where I've been based for the past fortnight after the opening game. Jumped over to Saransk last week for Japan v Colombia. 24 hours on a train there and back.

My first two knockout games are France v Argentina in Kazan on Saturday then Brazil v Mexico back here in Samara on Monday.

To be honest, most of the football has been shite.

I'm also going to the Kazan quarter-final, third place play-off and, assuming the ticket has arrived at my hotel  the St Petersburg semi-final.

more importantly how much you paying for a beer over there ? 

Sitting in Roknroli pub on Kybysheva Strèet. Because there's a game on today It's being served in plastic tumblers - 160 barneys a go (£2).

I've paid as little as £1.20 and as much as £4.

There's a famous brewery, Zhigulevsky, here which has a couple of bars attached. Heaving with Colombians, as is the town. Beer is good.

A Colombian I met in Saransk said there upwards of 50,000 Colombians in Russia for the World Cup.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

And 5,000 Nigel's with the rest back home shiting themselves.

There was some tragic footage doing the rounds showing Bristol City and Bristol Rovers ‘lads’  out side a Bristol boozer, during an England game, throwing chairs and pub signs at each other. 😂😂

Back and forth went the pub sign, no punches thrown 🤔 

4 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

There was some tragic footage doing the rounds showing Bristol City and Bristol Rovers ‘lads’  out side a Bristol boozer, during an England game, throwing chairs and pub signs at each other. 😂😂

Back and forth went the pub sign, no punches thrown 🤔 

Aye, was worse game of pass the parcel ever.

I was actually in that boozer a few months back after Cheltenham!

Colombians are tremendous! Especially after this!! A great wee moment, and the highlight of our 12 days following Poland.

Basically what happened was the wee man was distraught after the Colombia game when Poland went out. The Colombians all gathered next to us and started consoling my son, patting his head, giving him souvenirs and chanting ‘Polska!’. The wife filmed it, it went on Twitter and went viral. I even took a call live from Bogotá yesterday for Colombian National Radio!! 👍🏼

On another note, Russia is an absolutely fantastic country to visit!

Amazing hospitality, really friendly people, cheap, scorching weather!

Cracking trip from beginning to end! 🇷🇺

Edited by McTeeko

11 hours ago, VASCO said:

Sitting in Roknroli pub on Kybysheva Strèet. Because there's a game on today It's being served in plastic tumblers - 160 barneys a go (£2).

I've paid as little as £1.20 and as much as £4.

There's a famous brewery, Zhigulevsky, here which has a couple of bars attached. Heaving with Colombians, as is the town. Beer is good.

A Colombian I met in Saransk said there upwards of 50,000 Colombians in Russia for the World Cup.

Sounds my kinda place not to expensive enjoy the rest of your trip 👍

Accommodation was, like flight prices, weird, but understandable.

Having got my initial tickets for the group stages last November,  the accommodation I booked st that point was cheap. £18 a night in Pervomayskaya in Moscow and £225 for 14 nights in Samara. My jaunt to Saransk cost me £95 in the Mercure. I've paid £71 for last night's kip in Kazan which would have been £25 six months ago. When I get back to Samara tomorrow, again booked early, it's £40 per night. My later trip to Kazan next week is £45 per night (changed booking last week) and St P is costing me about £30 a night. 

Having officially retired today after 32 years at the Uni, I decided to change my booking for the last two nights in Moscow. I lost what I had paid, but, by the time, you take away the now not necessary taxi costs and add my upgraded hotel at Belorussky station costs, I'm about a fiver down.

Just watched an Italian spiv sell tickets to three Colombians for the game here in Kazan for $500 a whip. After he left they were telling me that they drove from Samara, but are flying to Moscow for their game against the Southern Brits. They told me they paid $400 one way. They got really jealous when I showed them my Kazan to Sheremetyevo to Samara ticket, booked in January. Cost? £95!!

42 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

That wee moment with my son and the Colombian fans has just won me an all expenses trip for two to the Final!!!

YAASSSSSS!!!!! ✊🏼🇷🇺🇨🇴

Who's getting the second ticket, you or his mum?

2 hours ago, McTeeko said:

That wee moment with my son and the Colombian fans has just won me an all expenses trip for two to the Final!!!

YAASSSSSS!!!!! ✊🏼🇷🇺🇨🇴

Congrats mate, that's tremendous news!!

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Media whore 😂😂 heard you on BBC Scotland the other day

Aye, and later that day Colombian News live from Bogotá called me and I had to put on my ‘proper’ voice! (hence Ormond’s reference about dodgy east coast accents the other day!)