Potential squad for Belgium - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Potential squad for Belgium

andyD

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, jamboman said:

Anyone wondering why we arranged a game against this team just prior to our competitive games? confidence boosters?

We have to. All teams in the 3 team groups had to arrange friendlies or UEFA would arrange them for us.

It did mean only a few teams were available and all those available from Europe were from the top 2 divisions. 

42 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

We have to. All teams in the 3 team groups had to arrange friendlies or UEFA would arrange them for us.

It did mean only a few teams were available and all those available from Europe were from the top 2 divisions. 

could we not have played fiji or Guam? Maybe india, just someone who wont slaughter us before we start our campaign

On 7/10/2018 at 10:39 PM, bossman4 said:

No it had to be a UEFA team.

Not really, as UEFA was always a team short for all the teams to get a UEFA opponent (Peru are coming to play the Netherlands and Germany in September, with Albania and Croatia playing Jordan in October).

Edited by wanderer

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

This squad will be interesting McFadden didn’t hold back when talking about the players who didn’t go to Mexico and Peru.

Yeah, that worries me. Lewis Stevenson as a regular fixture? God help us. And that mindset rules out Cairney who will probably set the EPL alight.

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Yeah, that worries me. Lewis Stevenson as a regular fixture? God help us. And that mindset rules out Cairney who will probably set the EPL alight.

I would take Faddy's comments with a pinch of salt, Cairney for starters was involved with Fulham in the Championship play off final just 3 days before the Peru game.

Also there was a fair few players who you would expect to have been in the squad who were not in the original (if anything, Faddy was probably keeping a few players on their toes, with maybe a hint of direction towards Matt Ritchie)

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

I would take Faddy's comments with a pinch of salt, Cairney for starters was involved with Fulham in the Championship play off final just 3 days before the Peru game.

Also there was a fair few players who you would expect to have been in the squad who were not in the original (if anything, Faddy was probably keeping a few players on their toes, with maybe a hint of direction towards Matt Ritchie)

I think Ryan Fraser will have some work to do.

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

Definitely. I read his comments and thought it was bullshit. 

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:36 AM, vanderark14 said:

This squad will be interesting McFadden didn’t hold back when talking about the players who didn’t go to Mexico and Peru.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:54 PM, wanderer said:

22 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think Ryan Fraser will have some work to do.

For sure, I think these comments were more a warning shot. Lack of commitment will result in dropping out. I suspect this was a last chance for certain players like Ritchie and Fraser who call off with minimal things.

You look at their attitudes compared to Robertson who offered to come out for the Mexico game.

5 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

For sure, I think these comments were more a warning shot. Lack of commitment will result in dropping out. I suspect this was a last chance for certain players like Ritchie and Fraser who call off with minimal things.

To be fair to Fraser, I believe his agent is actually Ecks son, so would imagine his withdrawal was legit. 

On 7/10/2018 at 7:23 PM, jamboman said:

Anyone wondering why we arranged a game against this team just prior to our competitive games? confidence boosters?

I would imagine they tried to get the biggest teams possible for our next two friendlies so they could sell a 4 game package and charge as much as they can get away with. 

I doubt people would be keen on buying a 4 game ticket if we were playing San Marino and Andorra. Belgium and Portugal will entice a good few people though. 

Unless Belgium pump us by 4 or 5 goals (possible I suppose but unlikely) then I doubt a defeat will dent our confidence too much. A draw or even a victory would be a huge boost ahead of our Nations League campaign. 

Putting aside ticket sales for the friendlies, it would have made far more sense to play against teams similar to Albania and Israel. When has anything the SFA done made sense though?