Potential squad for Belgium - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Potential squad for Belgium

andyD

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

#5 Rhodes isn't as a good as you are giving him credit for.

#6 Rhodes needs a team built round him. That's never going to happen for Scotland as he's not good enough to base your team around. 

This, 100%

1 hour ago, andyD said:

With who on the right?

Personally I'd like to see Fraser right and Robertson left. With Tierney at fullback.

It would obviously depend on who we are playing but something like this -

1.Gordon

2.McKenna,   3.Mulgrew   4.Tierney

5.Paterson   6.McTominay   7.McGregor   8.Robertson

9.Forrest   10.Griffiths   11.Fraser

That selection can easily become a 5-4-1 when we are under pressure and a 3-4-3 when we are attacking.  

With the other options being something like this -

1. McGregor, Marshall, Bain, Archer, McLaughlin
  2. Hendry
  3. Hanley
  4. Berra,
  5. O'Donnell
  6. McArthur, McGinn, Fletcher
  7. Cairney, Armstrong, Morrison
  8. Douglas, Shinnie
  9. Ritchie, Snodgrass, Russell, Burke
  10. McBurnie, Martin, Fletcher, Cummings
  11. Phillips, Morgan

3 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

It would obviously depend on who we are playing but something like this -

1.Gordon

2.McKenna,   3.Mulgrew   4.Tierney

5.Paterson   6.McTominay   7.McGregor   8.Robertson

9.Forrest   10.Griffiths   11.Fraser

That selection can easily become a 5-4-1 when we are under pressure and a 3-4-3 when we are attacking.  

With the other options being something like this -

1. McGregor, Marshall, Bain, Archer, McLaughlin
  2. Hendry
  3. Hanley
  4. Berra,
  5. O'Donnell
  6. McArthur, McGinn, Fletcher
  7. Cairney, Armstrong, Morrison
  8. Douglas, Shinnie
  9. Ritchie, Snodgrass, Russell, Burke
  10. McBurnie, Martin, Fletcher, Cummings
  11. Phillips, Morgan

I think you have too many players out of position and more not used to  a 3-5-2  formation..  I really  think we should concentrate on a 4- 4-2 with Teirney at right back or central defence. I'll let you choose :banghead:

Edited by ceudmilefailte

6 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Gk Gordon

Cb. Mckenna

Cb. Mulgrew

Cb. Tierney

Rwb. Fraser

Lwb. Robertson 

Dm. McDonald 

Cm cairney

Cm armstrong

Cam. Mcgregor

St. Griffiths

Subs

Mcgregor

Berra

Hendry

paterson

Forrest 

Douglas

Mctominay

Mcgregor

Ritchie

Snodgrass

Burke

Mcburnie

McDonald is pish

Even though i was on board with 3-5-2 a few months back, i have since remembered that i’ve never once seen a Scottish team play well with that system. We end up going five at the back and creating nothing, while the centre halves don’t commit themselves to tackles or mark properly. 4-5-1 for me.

7 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Even though i was on board with 3-5-2 a few months back, i have since remembered that i’ve never once seen a Scottish team play well with that system. We end up going five at the back and creating nothing, while the centre halves don’t commit themselves to tackles or mark properly. 4-5-1 for me.

We qualified for our last two major tournaments playing 3-5-2.

1. Mcgregor

2.  Hendry     5.  McKenna     3.  Tierney

4.  Mctominay    6.  Armstrong 

7. Fraser   8. Snodgrass 9. Griffiths. 10. McGregor  11. Robertson

am hoping Burke comes good this season - a run in a Championship team (which is where he was 18 months ago) opens up some interesting options.

I know Paterson has played well for Cardiff and scored some big goals but I just don't rate him as a footballer. Seems odd given he has excelled in a promotion gaining team but other than shoe-horning him into a back four I don't see what he really adds (except for the odd set piece). 

Snodgrass I think is on his way out in terms of international football and whereas he clearly has vision and skill, I think he and Ritchie slow the team down (despite how comfortable they are on the ball) and therefore having players like Forrest, Robertson, Fraser and Griffiths playing along side either of them just doesn't afford any fluency. 

Malcolm's team above minus Snodgrass looks pretty decent. Would love to still have Broon in there (ahead of McTominay for just now) for one more season. 

Edited by Return of Yermaw
spelling

12 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

am hoping Burke comes good this season - a run in a Championship team (which is where he was 18 months ago) opens up some interesting options.

I know Paterson has played well for Cardiff and scored some big goals but I just don't rate him as a footballer. Seems odd given he has excelled in a promotion gaining team but other than shoe-horning him into a back four I don't see what he really adds (except for the odd set piece). 

Snodgrass I think is on his way out in terms of international football and whereas he clearly has vision and skill, I think he and Ritchie slow the team down (despite how comfortable they are on the ball) and therefore having players like Forrest, Robertson, Fraser and Griffiths playing along side either of them just doesn't afford any fluency. 

Malcolm's team above minus Snodgrass looks pretty decent. Would love to still have Broon in there (ahead of McTominay for just now) for one more season. 

If McTominay isn’t available, I could see Tierney playing defensive midfield. He was played left centre half and right back and did well enough so no greetin’ about players out of position!

Edited by er yir macaroon

31 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Might as well play Tierney up front, we've folk touting him to player everywhere else.

As far as I'm aware he's never played defensive midfield in his professional career so let's play one of our best players totally out of their comfort zone!

Bonkers.

He never played right back or centre half either, as far as i’m aware. He be far better in midfield than those positions.

Tierney in midfield?! What the fuck?! Our defence has been brutal for a number of years now and along comes a potentially world class player (and I genuinely think he could go on to be that level) - why on earth would we then play him in midfield?! The defence needs to be built around him for the next 10-15 years. End of.

1 hour ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Tierney in midfield?! What the fuck?! Our defence has been brutal for a number of years now and along comes a potentially world class player (and I genuinely think he could go on to be that level) - why on earth would we then play him in midfield?! The defence needs to be built around him for the next 10-15 years. End of.

A defensive midfielder is as important as a full back when it comes to defence, especially if we have attacking full backs. Bottom line is Tierney and Robertson both have to play, and one of them won’t be in their best position. I don’t believe Tierney will be better at centre half than defensive midfield, assuming he’s not playing left back. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

I think he'll call up O'Donnell ahead of Paterson if it's one or the other.

Just the vibe I got from McLeish's post tour comments and the fact SOD played 180 min at right back, whilst Paterson didn't and doesn't play there for Cardiff.

Possibly right Squirrelhumper but I think he'll buy into the hype of Paterson being an EPL player.

For what it is worth, SOD has done himself no harm. Ultimately, I suspect if we are going to be playing four at the back, we'll either end up seeing Hendry or Tierney out there. Hendry, despite limited game time, might be seen as a right footed option. Tierney is better than all of our right backs, despite being on his wrong side.

It depends on the formation Big Eck goes for ultimately, but if he plays a four at the back, I think he may change his mind on Tierney playing out on the right.

2 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

So do you suggest a back three or do you think we could play a back four with him in central defence? 

Seems to be a conviction on here that Robertson [ a world class left back] should be played in a position he very rarely plays. I think any one suggesting wing back and left back are nearly the same thing hasn't played in either position. So by my reckoning he has to play left back.

I think Tierney is far better to play out of position than Robertson so I would decide if right back on central defence is our weakest position and play him there. He wont play at left back unless we admit we are total dross and play with a flat back four and another flat back four in front of it like other international diddy teams

22 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Yes, and we had a totally different set of players. Why don't we go the whole hog and play five up front like the greatest club side ever seen in Scotland.

I wasn't even suggesting playing 3-5-2, smart arse, I was just replying to someone who said he'd never seen a Scottish side play well using that system.