YOUNGS SEAFOOD - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I though this deserved a thread of it's own as there is no way the Colonial media in Scotland will give it the coverage it warrants

De1HuYFXUAA1Rzv.jpg

David Mundell should be hounded on this.  The story seems to be that the UK government has in effect paid to export jobs from Scotland (Annan, but also Fraserburgh).  There are also questions about Edinburgh Woollen Mill moving from Langholm to Carlisle, and possibly something similar with Arla at Lockerbie although I think that one is fairly small scale (maybe a dozen jobs).  The suspicion is that the UK government is trying to asset strip scotland, adopting a scorched earth policy in the run up to indy.  the 450 jobs at Annan have been moved to Grimsby, one of the the most Brexity places in the UK, where the population are restless as they realise that they are screwed by Brexit.  I suspect there will be FoI requests soon to establish what incentives have been offered and to whom to transfer jobs south.  Furthermore there was a tweet claiming Mundell said that "at least the jobs are going to Grimsby so still in the UK" which frankly sound beyond credulity - even Mundell surely would not be so stupid, not to say insensitive, given that the burghers of Annan will at some point have to express an opinion on him at the ballot box.  If it is shown that he knew about this and said nothing while pretending to be trying to avoid a closure, he is toast.

The SG have bust a gut trying to keep these jobs at Annan, or to find an alternative buyer for the plant.  To try to blame the SG for this closure is patently dishonest, a downright lie, and I'm sure the local population will be well aware of that - if not, they will soon be made aware of it.  Mundell has some awkward questions to answer.

They did the same up here in fraserburgh, enticed jobs south via westminster subsidies which ended up with massive job losses, as usual the press hid this as best they could and it went unnoticed, how on earth can the press be allowed to ignore this, its an absolute joke

4 hours ago, Alibi said:

David Mundell should be hounded on this.  The story seems to be that the UK government has in effect paid to export jobs from Scotland (Annan, but also Fraserburgh).  There are also questions about Edinburgh Woollen Mill moving from Langholm to Carlisle, and possibly something similar with Arla at Lockerbie although I think that one is fairly small scale (maybe a dozen jobs).  The suspicion is that the UK government is trying to asset strip scotland, adopting a scorched earth policy in the run up to indy.  the 450 jobs at Annan have been moved to Grimsby, one of the the most Brexity places in the UK, where the population are restless as they realise that they are screwed by Brexit.  I suspect there will be FoI requests soon to establish what incentives have been offered and to whom to transfer jobs south.  Furthermore there was a tweet claiming Mundell said that "at least the jobs are going to Grimsby so still in the UK" which frankly sound beyond credulity - even Mundell surely would not be so stupid, not to say insensitive, given that the burghers of Annan will at some point have to express an opinion on him at the ballot box.  If it is shown that he knew about this and said nothing while pretending to be trying to avoid a closure, he is toast.

The SG have bust a gut trying to keep these jobs at Annan, or to find an alternative buyer for the plant.  To try to blame the SG for this closure is patently dishonest, a downright lie, and I'm sure the local population will be well aware of that - if not, they will soon be made aware of it.  Mundell has some awkward questions to answer.

How though? The press and TV won't be saying anything any time soon. The only thing that could realistically be done would be for the local Yes group to leaflet every door in the constituency with the above graphic.

We're being asset stripped, there's no doubt about that.

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

How though? The press and TV won't be saying anything any time soon. The only thing that could realistically be done would be for the local Yes group to leaflet every door in the constituency with the above graphic.

We're being asset stripped, there's no doubt about that.

Gary Robertson replied to someone on Twitter that they were trying to get Mundell for a interview on GMS.

Edited by aaid

6 hours ago, Alibi said:

Just to correct you on one point.  The money from the UK government went to Grimsby in 2015 before the EU referendum.  Eilidh Whiteford raised it at the time as it was thought it would be Fraserburgh rather than Annan that would be impacted.  

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

Just to correct you on one point.  The money from the UK government went to Grimsby in 2015 before the EU referendum.  Eilidh Whiteford raised it at the time as it was thought it would be Fraserburgh rather than Annan that would be impacted.  

Seemingly 650 jobs were lost in Scotland within months of the grant

This is the second block

6 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

The UK Gov are walking a tightrope though because any perceived "asset stripping" will only increase support for independence.  Ref. What a decade of Thatcherism did for the popularity of devolution.

Only on social media though where there are a minority of voters

The MSM will disregard it on the TV and Newspapers meaning the majority of voters wont have a scooby or believe that it's the Scottish Govt's fault

15 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Only on social media though where there are a minority of voters

The MSM will disregard it on the TV and Newspapers meaning the majority of voters wont have a scooby or believe that it's the Scottish Govt's fault

I'm pretty sure those affected by the job losses will be clued up on the real circumstances though.

saw the note about Youngs being owned by a multi billion pound company.  Sad if they're bought for a spit in a puddle.

Anybody else feeling there' s a little bit of a stir in favour of independence recently?  I had it down in the dumps but anecdotally feel it's slowly coming back on the agenda.

28 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

saw the note about Youngs being owned by a multi billion pound company.  Sad if they're bought for a spit in a puddle.

Anybody else feeling there' s a little bit of a stir in favour of independence recently?  I had it down in the dumps but anecdotally feel it's slowly coming back on the agenda.

It the good weather. It makes folk feel a wee bit more adventurous. We need to have the next referendum on a nice sunny day.