The Weather thread - Page 15 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

6 minutes ago, phart said:

I didn't know that! Or if i did i had forgotten, same result!

My weather app is saying gusts up to 75 mph down the east coast this evening. If you haven't already battened doon the hatches then you might be too late. Lights have been flickering as well. Don't want a power cut. 

Edited by Orraloon

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

My weather app is saying gusts up to 75 mph down the east coast this evening. If you haven't already battened doon the hatches then you might be too late. Light have been flickering as well. Don't want a power cut. 

I think we're far enough inland in Linlithgow where it won't get too mental... hopefully.

Armageddon starting.

I'm in the centre of neep city and I've picked up my wheely bins twice since I got in at 4 they are down again so they will stay on their sides and hopefully in my driveway.....

the drive home from stonehaven was twitchy as well although the majority of drivers were driving around the 50/60 mark rather than bombing down the road at 70

5 hours ago, davierobbsagod said:

I'm in the centre of neep city and I've picked up my wheely bins twice since I got in at 4 they are down again so they will stay on their sides and hopefully in my driveway.....

the drive home from stonehaven was twitchy as well although the majority of drivers were driving around the 50/60 mark rather than bombing down the road at 70

We put ours in the garage after chasing the recycling around the drive in the Shire. Seems to have dropped a bit now though!

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Blaming Nicola Sturgeon for the weather, couldn’t make it up

Whos blaming nic? I have a tory mp, tory council and snp msp, they are all accountable for the shittty response,, folks houses are sitting at 7c.. and they have had zero help,info or assistance.. typical shite response from you tbh 

Now you mention it though, had it been a few transgender folk complaining, nicola would come out with a statement like the one when 4 transgender members left the party 🤔😆 

Utterly mental in the east of Fife, can't remember anything like as bad as that.  From the north as well.  Usually our gales come from the southwest.  When you're a greenhouse owner you soon become an expert in wind speeds and directions!

Further east, St Andrews seems to have had a real mauling with loads of huge trees down.  We were very lucky here - got away with a tarpaulin being moved from one side of the garden to the other!  Really frightening gusts and I expected to wake up to total devastation.  Real shame for folk still without electric.  What a nightmare.

22 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Utterly mental in the east of Fife, can't remember anything like as bad as that.  From the north as well.  Usually our gales come from the southwest.  When you're a greenhouse owner you soon become an expert in wind speeds and directions!

Further east, St Andrews seems to have had a real mauling with loads of huge trees down.  We were very lucky here - got away with a tarpaulin being moved from one side of the garden to the other!  Really frightening gusts and I expected to wake up to total devastation.  Real shame for folk still without electric.  What a nightmare.

We have places with no water or phone signal either in Aberdeenshire. 

No electricity for two days is brutal (especially this time of year) but at least if you have gas you could boil water..

But no water is shocking. I went three days without water when they had a burst pipe nearby but they at least opened up a spigot on the street. Otherwise you are fucked as you cannot flush a toilet. Why is the water off anyway?

Edited by thplinth

6 minutes ago, thplinth said:

No electricity for two days is brutal (especially this time of year) but at least if you have gas you could boil water..

But no water is shocking. I went three days without water when they had a burst pipe nearby but they at least opened up a spigot on the street. Otherwise you are fucked as you cannot flush a toilet. Why is the water off anyway?

Don't know what the specific reason is but it is related to the storm. I think it is related to the power outages somehow and a burst water main in Huntly.

Edited by Lamia

3 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Whos blaming nic? I have a tory mp, tory council and snp msp, they are all accountable for the shittty response,, folks houses are sitting at 7c.. and they have had zero help,info or assistance.. typical shite response from you tbh 

Now you mention it though, had it been a few transgender folk complaining, nicola would come out with a statement like the one when 4 transgender members left the party 🤔😆 

Power companies are responsible for restoring services and councils are responsible in the first instance for emergency assistance but you rush to blame the government.

That’s even without considering what is causing these extreme weather events to be more common and more severe. 

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

The official story is that they need electric for the pumps. 

To any half decent journalist the next question should be obvious. "What happened to the emergency generators?" 

Maybe they lent them to COP26 and haven't got them back yet? Or, maybe they don't have enough diesel to run them, now that Nicola has shut down the North Sea?

Last time I was cut off was a Thursday which then ran into the Friday. At 5pm on the Friday with no water I was thinking that was it for the weekend. There was no spigot and no water truck.

At 5.30 I decided I could no longer hold it in nor risk peeing in a toilet with no flush all weekend. So I went out to the street. Looked about and thought no point dodging about like a criminal so just had a slash between the nearest parked cars. I figured if dogs can do it why nor me. Neighbors not hugely impressed. Water went back on at about 5.45. Cunts.

We are 48 hours away from total chaos if the water goes off…

3 hours ago, Lamia said:

I assume you have been offering your assistance?

Had my elderly neighbour round for a heat, and food, she relies completely on electricity , thats a burger can in the village as we speak, the first bit of “assistance” we have received,, some poor elderly or vulnerable folk will be having a real tough time   

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Power companies are responsible for restoring services and councils are responsible in the first instance for emergency assistance but you rush to blame the government.

That’s even without considering what is causing these extreme weather events to be more common and more severe. 

Ok so our elected representatives have no responsibility in the elderly or the vulnerable well beings? Just let them fend for themselves? Aye right, they should be onto SSE and hounding them to ensure folk are looked after.

a low pressure depression, squeezing down the north sea caused the winds 

Edited by hampden_loon2878

14 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

a low pressure depression, squeezing down the north sea caused the winds 

lol. Correct.

Some folk 'not knowing the difference between weather and climate'.

Least that is what they will tell you... if you point out we have have had good weather... 😀 oooooh we had a storm... so let's crowbar in the usual tedious woke shite about climate change. Boring and predictable.

2 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

10pm tomorrow at the best for our electric to come back on according to sse 

That is scandalous. 

22 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

The temperature in the house at the moment and i have a gas stove, i dreadto think how some completely electrical dependant folk are getting on

C9C6788C-2FB1-4136-876D-1B613936ED4A.jpeg

That is shocking . I imagine things like service level agreements go out the window when loss of power is due to weather conditions but surely to god it can be fixed quicker than tomorrow night. When did the storms end ? The West clearly got off very lightly.

3 hours ago, dandydunn said:

A properly constructed fence taken to the cleaners, my piss poor constructed fence and gate to stop the dog getting out the side of the garden, still standing. 

Couldn’t make this shit up 😂

1BC3ECC6-A1A6-429B-98AC-522D9A2AB987.jpeg

Never mind the fence, what on earth is a bloody sun parasol doing out in November 😂 Thought that would have been the first thing to take off into the air.