The Weather thread - Page 16 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

On 11/27/2021 at 2:11 PM, TDYER63 said:

Overnight my garden has been given a massive clean up. The leaves that were strewn everywhere have ended up in a few large bundles and easy to tidy up. 
Struggled to get in with my Morrisons shop right enough.

D60E4ADD-9975-424C-AB2F-8B8B985D19D5.thumb.jpeg.948a7eb59b82cc8d697cc46384229985.jpeg

I see a leaf problem...

…. a large acreage

… a high powered BMW

… in a private drive...

… with mysterious boarded up out-buildings... 

Morrisons?! Away tae... 😀

32 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

That is shocking . I imagine things like service level agreements go out the window when loss of power is due to weather conditions but surely to god it can be fixed quicker than tomorrow night. When did the storms end ? The West clearly got off very lightly.

With us the severe winds was Friday night , it was a gale all day but peaked between 4pm and 9pm, it was constant wind of over 75mph, i measured a 94mph gust. The vlliage along my mate recorded 103mph. The wind stayed up through the whole of friday night but faired away to 50mph after 10pm. It’s actually hard to emphasise how much damage there has been, there’s debris and branches everywhere. You should see the remains if a caravan down at the bottom of the street, its been obliterated 

39 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Never mind the fence, what on earth is a bloody sun parasol doing out in November 😂 Thought that would have been the first thing to take off into the air.   

It’s generally very sunny in Aberdeen 🤪and it’s concreted into a holder below the table, which I have to take apart to move, which I really can’t be arsed doing. 

That’s not going anywhere. 

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Had my elderly neighbour round for a heat, and food, she relies completely on electricity , thats a burger can in the village as we speak, the first bit of “assistance” we have received,, some poor elderly or vulnerable folk will be having a real tough time   

Maybe you could have offered your help to them too?

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

That is shocking . I imagine things like service level agreements go out the window when loss of power is due to weather conditions but surely to god it can be fixed quicker than tomorrow night. When did the storms end ? The West clearly got off very lightly.

If you had seen the devastation out there then you might understand. There is nothing scandalous if you physically can't fix things any quicker and I would say there is a high probability of that being the case. The workers had to be stood down for hours because it wasn't safe and will have been working their socks off.

Many people I have spoken to have never encountered winds like it. 

2 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Ok so our elected representatives have no responsibility in the elderly or the vulnerable well beings? Just let them fend for themselves? Aye right, they should be onto SSE and hounding them to ensure folk are looked after.

a low pressure depression, squeezing down the north sea caused the winds 

If you’ve no power, how come you’re posting on the TAMB?

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

The temperature in the house at the moment and i have a gas stove, i dreadto think how some completely electrical dependant folk are getting on

C9C6788C-2FB1-4136-876D-1B613936ED4A.jpeg

What’s this powered by?  Also looks pretty bright in there.

56 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

With us the severe winds was Friday night , it was a gale all day but peaked between 4pm and 9pm, it was constant wind of over 75mph, i measured a 94mph gust. The vlliage along my mate recorded 103mph. The wind stayed up through the whole of friday night but faired away to 50mph after 10pm. It’s actually hard to emphasise how much damage there has been, there’s debris and branches everywhere. You should see the remains if a caravan down at the bottom of the street, its been obliterated 

According to the Met Office website (that I seemed to refresh every couple of minutes in the hope of good news!) the gusts in our part of Fife were only 67mph max.  There's no way they were as light as that, the storm can't have lost that much power on its journey south.  It peaked here about 8pm and things didn't get noticeably calmer until well after 2am.  There was one particular gust just after 11 that scared me absolutely sh*tless.  😱  An awful day with both the storm and having to sit waiting in dread for it.  Nearly fkin fainted when I saw the alert had been upgraded to red.

Horrible for the poor folk still having to suffer in the aftermath while we're more or less back to normal here.

My dad was talking about hiw bad it was where he was. We mist have been shielded in Linlithgow as we got a few big gusts but nothing mental. Must have been lucky with wind direction and the local topography. Other areas close got wrecked quite badly.

2 hours ago, Lamia said:

If you had seen the devastation out there then you might understand. There is nothing scandalous if you physically can't fix things any quicker and I would say there is a high probability of that being the case. The workers had to be stood down for hours because it wasn't safe and will have been working their socks off.

Many people I have spoken to have never encountered winds like it. 

I can see by some of the pictures being posted how bad it has been, I have not seen any news all weekend so been unaware of the damage . 3 days just seems a long time to get power going, though i totally appreciate I am in the central belt which, even when we get severe weather,  is not exposed to the elements the way other areas are. 

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

I see a leaf problem...

…. a large acreage

… a high powered BMW

… in a private drive...

… with mysterious boarded up out-buildings... 

Morrisons?! Away tae... 😀

Ahem, that high powered BMW is a cat s car my husband bought for a bargain and that sits in the drive doing heehaw cause it has a damp problem that makes me boke. The vanilla air scent thing that he hangs on the mirror makes it even worse . 

The mysterious outbuilding is the community hall, and the high powered car is hiding the bins  . 

I do have a double garage granted, the guy that owned the house before us ran his business from there, he made false teeth in it 😬

As for Morrisons, I boycotted it for a few weeks till they got rid if all the union jacks adorning the aisles but I am a lazy bassa and its on my way home so my principles went tae fook.
Of course if there was a Waitrose close by  I would be buying me foie gras from there …

8 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I can see by some of the pictures being posted how bad it has been, I have not seen any news all weekend so been unaware of the damage . 3 days just seems a long time to get power going, though i totally appreciate I am in the central belt which, even when we get severe weather,  is not exposed to the elements the way other areas are. 

It is a long time but it is totally understandable. The news coverage doesn't seem to reflect the severity. I am not normally one for "moping" about the treatment of the NE but if this had happened in the Central belt or heaven forbid southern England, I feel it would have been given different coverage and priority. There are effectively whole forests flattened in places.

Edited by Lamia

4 hours ago, Lamia said:

It is a long time but it is totally understandable. The news coverage doesn't seem to reflect the severity. I am not normally one for "moping" about the treatment of the NE but if this had happened in the Central belt or heaven forbid southern England, I feel it would have been given different coverage and priority. There are effectively whole forests flattened in places.

Totally agree, i have been surprised by the lack of coverage/urgency regarding the disruption 

10 hours ago, Lamia said:

Without a doubt,  30k people in the central belt with no electricity would be causing a much bigger stooshie.  If the ovens in China Buffet King went down at the weekend there would be civil unrest. 

Things any better? 

17 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Without a doubt,  30k people in the central belt with no electricity would be causing a much bigger stooshie.  If the ovens in China Buffet King went down at the weekend there would be civil unrest. 

Things any better? 

Maybe marginally - but some people have done off again and many still don't have power or water and as mentioned phone and internet down too.

On 11/29/2021 at 12:11 PM, hampden_loon2878 said:

Totally agree, i have been surprised by the lack of coverage/urgency regarding the disruption 

It finally made the main news yesterday. It does seem surprising the general overall poor response by power companies and authorities when it can mean life or death for the old and vulnerable. Missed the worst of the storm dahn souf but did get a drop of snow which made for some picturesque views at crack of dawn... 

mmexport1638211020257.jpg

mmexport1638211007284.jpg

mmexport1638210999368.jpg