The Weather thread - Page 11 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

20 minutes ago, phart said:

I have been on a diet for 10 months and did loads of walking in the last 10 months so i think that built up some sort of aerobic fitness, now i'm a lot lighter so can up the speed to a trot.

It's surreal cause i can mind my first c25k session( 16th May) it was jog 60 secs walk 90 and do it 8 times and after it i was dreading the 2nd week as had to run for 90 seconds lol. I did the 10k in 62 mins 21 seconds and counting my warm-up and warm-down ran for 73 mins 13 seconds. I'd have broken down greeting being told i'd have to run for that long 7 weeks ago.

I'm using a Garmin watch and using their work out plan, it had me doing these things called "strides" 8x20 second effort with 45 second break inbetween on wednesday. I thought to myself yes basically a day off, ran the strides as all out sprints about killed myself and my legs are still feeling it. Turns out just meant to run at a higher cadence , really feeling ym age on those ones.

Yeah folk look at me funny when they realise i just run laps of a carpark, i just use social distancing as an excuse, I just prefer, sometimes if it's dry i might add in a lap of the fitba fields at the side, but i leave them for the dog walkers normally.

Cant have been easy lose weight AND motivate yourself to exercise. Though there is no doubt the combination will have the aided the weight loss.
It’s good to have some sort of exercise plan to work with. I just get changed , warm up for 5 mins, start running, then warm down for 5 mins when I get back. If I remember 🙄

I started running for the first time when I lived in Jersey. The flat we had was directly across from the promenade that ran right round the bay from St Helier to St Aubins. The promenade has lots of wee shelters dotted along it and when I started running I ran as far as the first shelter then ran back. I did that the first few times I went out ( it took me longer to get changed into my running gear than it took me to run the short distance )  then I ran to the second shelter and back.
I built it up and within a few months I had ran right round the bay which was just short of 10k. It was so nice running by the sea, though it was windy in the winter. 
Everyone just has to do what works for them, but a plan really will focus you more. 
I doubt I will run outside come this winter, the gyms will probably have reopened by then so will go back there, but I really dont like them. They are soulless places. Like healthy Wetherspoons 😊

Good luck and keep it up . 

17 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Cant have been easy lose weight AND motivate yourself to exercise. Though there is no doubt the combination will have the aided the weight loss.
It’s good to have some sort of exercise plan to work with. I just get changed , warm up for 5 mins, start running, then warm down for 5 mins when I get back. If I remember 🙄

I started running for the first time when I lived in Jersey. The flat we had was directly across from the promenade that ran right round the bay from St Helier to St Aubins. The promenade has lots of wee shelters dotted along it and when I started running I ran as far as the first shelter then ran back. I did that the first few times I went out ( it took me longer to get changed into my running gear than it took me to run the short distance )  then I ran to the second shelter and back.
I built it up and within a few months I had ran right round the bay which was just short of 10k. It was so nice running by the sea, though it was windy in the winter. 
Everyone just has to do what works for them, but a plan really will focus you more. 
I doubt I will run outside come this winter, the gyms will probably have reopened by then so will go back there, but I really dont like them. They are soulless places. Like healthy Wetherspoons 😊

Good luck and keep it up . 

Cheers.

Nutrition is key to weightloss i've found. Can't out exercise a bad diet unless you're doing an olympians work load and i'm far from that!!

I've lost 114lbs as of this morning. I was 316 lb's last July when i booked up to go to Kenya and decided i had to sort stuff out or i would end up having vultures following me around all safari. 😛

It was pishing down so much the car park had huge puddles i just had to run through so a treadmill in a gym would have been welcome for me! I agree with the analogy though, also so many folk just sitting staring at their phones!

1 hour ago, phart said:

Cheers.

Nutrition is key to weightloss i've found. Can't out exercise a bad diet unless you're doing an olympians work load and i'm far from that!!

I've lost 114lbs as of this morning. I was 316 lb's last July when i booked up to go to Kenya and decided i had to sort stuff out or i would end up having vultures following me around all safari. 😛

It was pishing down so much the car park had huge puddles i just had to run through so a treadmill in a gym would have been welcome for me! I agree with the analogy though, also so many folk just sitting staring at their phones!

Bloody hell Phart that really  is an incredible achievement. Unless you are 7 foot tall I imagine you were a tad overweight which may have posed health risks. Coincidentally  I started back exercising as my blood pressure was starting to creep up, I am not overweight but years of unhealthy partying is probably taking its toll.  
I know this is a thread about the weather but I hope anyone reading this is inspired . 
With you i mean, no me. I must be only person that is exercising more and putting on weight..

Just think of those big car park puddles as strides, like hurdling !
But if you are struggling come winter due to the weather it is worth looking at a gym. I dont know what options you have near you but some gyms are pretty reasonably priced and they will probably be offering discounts when they re-open . 
I use puregym , its pretty basic but it provides what I need. You can pay monthly and are not contracted. 
My husband goes to the spin classes ( which are free with the membership)  as he likes a challenge and puts weight on easily if he doesn't exercise,  but I just like doing my own thing. 
I found it quite intimidating the first few times I went but I soon got used to the machines etc. Its worth considering. 
Dont be expecting to see a room full of healthy fit freaks, there are all shapes and sizes.

You are right about the bloody phones. i think I mentioned on here before that I was waiting to get on an exercise bike one night and a girl was hogging a machine, hardly even moving , and phoning for a chinese takeaway ! 

Anyway, I am wittering on again,  I had better get on with my housework . 

Edited by TDYER63

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How’s the weather with everyone today. Biblical rain overnight in Aberdeen. Several roads closed, cars lost to the rain and our golf club flooded significantly. Lots of idiots on Facebook attempting to drive through 4 feet of water, who in all honesty, deserve to lose their cars and licences when it calms down again. 

How’s the weather with everyone today. Biblical rain overnight in Aberdeen. Several roads closed, cars lost to the rain and our golf club flooded significantly. Lots of idiots on Facebook attempting to drive through 4 feet of water, who in all honesty, deserve to lose their cars and licences when it calms down again. 

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Lovely dry, warm and partially sunny here!

3 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Some sensible Aberdonian drivers...

Dandydunn beat me to it.

Like how the driver thinks switching the wipers to full will help :-))

That’s been mentioned many times 😂😂😂

Just went back outside again, it’s glorious now, nice and warm. 

25 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Some sensible Aberdonian drivers...

Dandydunn beat me to it.

Like how the driver thinks switching the wipers to full will help :-))

😂 that second video  is a cracker. Wtf is the driver in the second red car thinking,  battering through the water when everyone else is stuck. Its like  he suddenly sees an identical car facing him floating in the water and thinks ‘ fook ! ‘ then tries a  U turn 🤣🤣

Weather here is glorious . Sun is slowly burning through the haze and blue skies appearing .